Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cinemas In Glasgow, ...do you remember these?
jock
post 8th Dec 2003, 01:35am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
We may be talkin about the same flea pit. But the one I remember was on Maryhill road un the left side just before you got to Georges Cross. We knew it as the 'wee leccy' because it was named the Electric then. It only had wooden benches at least in the front and on Sat. afternoons the "ushers" just kept pushin more and more kids onto each bench. Probably squeezed the fleas to death!!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Heather
post 9th Dec 2003, 10:11pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The name of the Cinema in the Cowcaddens was called The Grand. The Endrick was further up the Garscube Rd in Sawfield Place. Before being called the Endrick it was known as the Phoenix. Then there was the one in New City Road called the Cambridge. At the top of the Garscube Road right beside Oakbank Hospital there was the Astoria.( not to be confused with the Astoria Ballroom).
I lived in the Cowcaddens for the first 14yrs of my life and the one we called the flea pit was the Electric (Leckie) we were not allowed to go there because it had such a bad name.

This post has been edited by Heather: 26th Jan 2004, 11:30pm

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
jock
post 10th Dec 2003, 07:04am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Heather. I remember the names Cambridge and Grand now. I spent my last day in Scotland in one of them. Not sure which one but coming from Georges Cross it was on the right hand side.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Dec 2003, 04:30pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Jock. The Cambridge was in New City Road on the left hand side coming from St George's Cross. The Grand was in Cowcaddens St. practically facing into New City Road, there was a cafe beside it, I think it was called Rossi's. it was owned by Italians. I cannot remember any cinema on the left hand side when I lived there during the 40/50s.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 10th Dec 2003, 10:39pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7
The old and much loved Salon on Vinicombe St.off the Byres Rd-now Gongs Bar/Diner.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jock
post 10th Dec 2003, 10:49pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks Heather. The Grand on Cowcaddens street was the one I was trying to remember. Left my then-girlfriend there so I could catch a train to start my journey to America!

+Quote Post
Chookie
post 11th Dec 2003, 04:26am
Post #37

City Key Holder
Member No.: 318
We went tae the pictures a lot in those pre-TV days. Mind the program changed three times a week plus the special Saturday afternoon matinee?....Flash Gordon was the biggie. Mind going thru a' the coat poackets and rounding up the jeely jaurs for the price o' admission when ma Maw was skint..whit bliss when you managed to come up wi' a tanner's worth. I remember the La Scala and the Regal...only went there for very special films..remember lining up at the Regal when they reissued "Gone with the Wind". Others we sometimes went to: The Tivoli, Rosevale an' the one on New City Road on the left going up from Charing Cross near Hill Street...but the place where Ah spent many a happy couple of hours was the Kelvin in Argyle Street just past Kent Road. It's now a fancy-dancy Indian restaurant. Ma pal and I had lunch there a couple of years ago and found they still had all the old movie paraphernalia...the guy that owned the place thought we were a couple of nutbars when we asked if we could go up to the balcony to have a look. Oh aye....and the Gaiety in Anderston which was "low-end" though no' quite a flea pit...well mebbe...but the fleas were friendly! tongue.gif

--------------------
Ahcumfiglesga

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 11th Dec 2003, 07:51am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
The Kelvin in Argyle Street is now The Creme de la Creme Chookie.had a meal up on the balcony as well.Like the Salon in Vinicombe Street it still just feels like a movie hall with the seats ripped out.I don't suppose there is much else they can use them for nowadays.

+Quote Post
a menzies
post 11th Dec 2003, 06:43pm
Post #39

Visitor
Member No.: 112
:wub: cinemas.there was the (bijou)in the coocaddens-----the grand on the garscube rd across from the normal school and i know of the weee electric very near st.georges cross.also close by the empress theatre archie. B)

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 15th Dec 2003, 02:57am
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
The Grand Central in Jamaica St,was the one that ran all the continental films.Remember seeing Anna Magnani? in Bitter Rice.
It then turned into a Cafeteria style reataurant.The one that started the Stakis empire, if memory serves me right.

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
jock
post 15th Dec 2003, 04:29am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
One of the cinemas,I think on sauchiehall st.,had an area where you could sit at a table and order tea etc. while watching the movie. Maybe the food business proved to be more profitable than the movies after T.V. came along.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 15th Dec 2003, 07:55am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
There was a very good post on this subject on the old GGBB; High Tea at La Scala.

The post generated a lot of interest and the thread ran for some time. The original poster was Michael Kelly and I don't believe he has re-registered since we lost the old Board. At the time there was interest in hearing from anyone who had actually taken high tea in the cinema but I don't think we heard from anyone who had.

We had a Lord Provost in Glasgow, Dr Michael Kelly, and I wondered if it were the same person.

Regards,

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
david lowson
post 15th Dec 2003, 09:44am
Post #43

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 470
Whit aboot The Gem In great western road in between cromwell street and burnbank gardens. You could roll the coke bottle from the back and it took ages to get to the front.
It had a muckle big patch in the screen probably thrown by the last person to get the coke bottle , remember that place mags.
Iain was the Salon in Viinicombe street next to aronald Clarks in Hillhead?

+Quote Post
scotslad90
post 15th Dec 2003, 09:55am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Yes David directly across the road and backs on to the lane at Hillhead Library on Byres RD.

+Quote Post
jock
post 15th Dec 2003, 10:26am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
The Gem also had 'divans' in the balcony if you liked winchin while watchin!

+Quote Post

18 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.