Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govan, Did you come from there ?
Wee Annie
post 15th Mar 2006, 03:21pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 2,951
Hello Govanites, I was just wondering how many Govan folk are out there .Im one and I need help remembering just where Streets are . I came from the top of Nethan St and when I went home after 30 yrs it was gone I was telling you before about the chips we got for a penny but now I am wondering if I told you where it was is the right place.For a while we had to leave St Anthonys and go to a school I cant remember the name of the school it was going towards I think it was called Orkney St up by the police station off the Govan Rd & I think that might have been where we got the chips does that ring a bell . Also there was a wee St off Nethan St and across the St from there was Bills the Pawn Shop{ fond memories from that place } can any one tell me the name of that St .I have so many ? and could go on and on please forgive me and thanks to all I love this place Wee Annie

--------------------
To forgive is to set a prisoner free and discover the prisoner...................was you
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Steak Lorne
post 20th Apr 2006, 11:51pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 118
i was born in the souther general in 1970, then was raised in Eaglesham street, across from Harmony Row next to Brechins, and then moved to howat street, next to Transay street.

My upbringing in Govan in the 70's was very, very rough, although i have very fond memories of there.

I seen Star Wars in the Lyceum 27 times, and used to feed dandelions to the rabbits at the rivers edge (i now know they where water rats!)

what a place the Govan ...

--------------------
" Huv you had some 'o that cheecky water ?? some of the bad man juice ? "

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 21st Apr 2006, 10:52am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Hey Steak , nice to see ye back china ,you still wowing them with your swivel hips ,haha !! biggrin.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
Steak Lorne
post 21st Apr 2006, 11:14am
Post #4

Visitor
Member No.: 118
QUOTE (jimmyd @ 21st Apr 2006, 12:09 PM)
Hey Steak ,  nice to see ye back china ,you still wowing them with your swivel hips ,haha  !!  biggrin.gif

aye, although moving over to Australia in June !!

--------------------
" Huv you had some 'o that cheecky water ?? some of the bad man juice ? "

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 21st Apr 2006, 01:19pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Ye going to do the club scene here? Ye hiv tae let us know where you will be playing mate!!

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
sboyd
post 4th Jul 2006, 01:12pm
Post #6

Visitor
Member No.: 3,470
QUOTE (Steak Lorne @ 21st Apr 2006, 01:08 AM)
i was born in the souther general in 1970, then was raised in Eaglesham street, across from Harmony Row next to Brechins, and then moved to howat street, next to Transay street.

My upbringing in Govan in the 70's was very, very rough, although i have very fond memories of there.

I seen Star Wars in the Lyceum 27 times, and used to feed dandelions to the rabbits at the rivers edge (i now know they where water rats!)

what a place the Govan ...

OMG! My aunty, uncle and cousins lived in Howat St you might know them....Cathy & Bob Dougall and the kids were Martin, Irene and Jane. We too used to go doon and feed the wee rabbits in the Clyde!! smile.gif

+Quote Post
rose d
post 4th Jul 2006, 11:00pm
Post #7

Special Visitor
Member No.: 2,237
hi wee annieare you thinking of st gerrads that was the high school you went to after st anthonys my kids went to both schools from the 60s to the 70s we stayed in wanlock st and kintra st then elderpark st and was the pawn shop in summerton rd off govan rd i also had friends in howat st john & betty oneill

+Quote Post
iancarolsa
post 10th Jan 2007, 12:21pm
Post #8

Settling In
Member No.: 4,262
I worked in the Southern General Hospital from 1968 to 1973. Did my training there then worked in the Theatre until my first child was born.

My brother lived on Langlands Road, my aunt on Rosneath Street & I went to Copland Road Primary. I lived on Copland Place in the 50's & 60's, which was a small sreet just off Copland Road and behind Summerton Road.
There used to be a St. Francis Nursing Home around there somewhere but can't remember which street, does anyone know of it?
I know St. Gerard's has closed down, but what about Copland Road Primary and Govan High?

+Quote Post
sboyd
post 10th Jan 2007, 12:27pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 3,470
Oooo I just missed you by a year. I was born in the Southern General in1974.

+Quote Post
lesley52
post 28th Jan 2007, 11:14am
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,182
rolleyes.gif Hi Iancarolsa St Francis nursing home is still in Merryland St, runs parallel with summertown Rd. Copeland primary in Burndyke St and Govan High is in Ardnish St. If you want to track down former pupils try Friends Reunited x

+Quote Post
iancarolsa
post 28th Jan 2007, 11:57am
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 4,262
Hi,
Sorry can't remember name of street either, but do remember getting good chips & fritter's!!
Also great ice-cream from cafe at corner of ?Copeland Road & Summertown Road maybe?
Can also remember the Govan Fair & standing on the street corner of Copeland Road & Copland Place for hours waiting for it to start.

+Quote Post
*Is*
post 1st Jun 2007, 09:23pm
Post #12

QUOTE (iancarolsa @ 10th Jan 2007, 12:38 PM) *
I worked in the Southern General Hospital from 1968 to 1973. Did my training there then worked in the Theatre until my first child was born.

My brother lived on Langlands Road, my aunt on Rosneath Street & I went to Copland Road Primary. I lived on Copland Place in the 50's & 60's, which was a small sreet just off Copland Road and behind Summerton Road.
There used to be a St. Francis Nursing Home around there somewhere but can't remember which street, does anyone know of it?
I know St. Gerard's has closed down, but what about Copland Road Primary and Govan High?

St Francis Nursing Home was in Merryland St. In the 70s it was a private maternity home then it became an old peoples home and then it was sold to developers and is now private villas.

+Quote Post
maureenl
post 20th Jul 2007, 03:21pm
Post #13

Special Visitor
Member No.: 4,873
I lived in Burghead Drive for about 4 years then we moved to Hillington

+Quote Post
hughmac
post 12th Jan 2008, 12:12pm
Post #14

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,797
What have they done to Govan?
Having got into this genealogy craze, two years ago when I was home in Glasgow, I went looking for all the old addresses of relatives to photograph the buildings for my files.

There's none of them left standing! The site of my great great grandparents house now has the approach road to the Clyde tunnel sitting on top of it. My great grannies tenement block in Wanlock street has been replaced with new housing. All the buildings where my great aunts & uncles lived are gone, replaced with grassy plots, big gaps between the buildings or flattened areas that look like bombsites. The annoying thing is, in most cases, the adjoining tenement blocks are still standing! Why me?

And the worse bit of all is, that the only descendant from my great great grandfather's children I've been able to trace, other than my own family, turns out to be one of the main culprits! He is a Glasgow architect, heavily involved as far as I can gather, in the redevelopment of Govan. I won't give you his name, as I wouldn't like him to be inundated with complaints from all the Govanite exiles!

My granny and grandad's tenement block in Purdon Street, Partick has disappeared, our house in Bernard Street, Bridgeton is no longer there, even our old house in Garthamlock is gone and that was only built about 1954. It's all very well saying 'I belong tae glesga', but there will soon be nae Glesga' tae belong tae!

Has anybody got a 'Tardis' I can borrow, so that I can go back 50 years and get ma photies?

--------------------
O wad some Power the giftie gie us. To see oursels as ithers see us! ............ Rabbie Burns, (1759 - 1796), sittin' in the pub, drunk, seldom sober, feelin' sorry fur masel'.

+Quote Post
GovanWumin
post 13th Jan 2008, 12:07am
Post #15

Resident
Member No.: 1,694
Born in the Southern Genral and lived at 8 Hutton Drive.
Ma Maw used to take me in ma pram back and forwards on the Govan Ferry in the afternoon cause I would go tae sleep and gie the wummin a break.
Later, when I wiz aboot 4 we moved up to Mybster Place near sheildhall road.
Jist got to thinkin when I wiz reading the messages..thanx fir the memories.. rolleyes.gif
Awe the Best
GW

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.