Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Roxy In Maryhill, The picture houses I went to
wee mags
post 1st Jun 2005, 12:35am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
I used to go to the Roxy on the Maryhill Rd ,or the Star,then the Blythswood and Seamore down the Maryhill Rd,and when you had a date you went to the Rio in Milingavie so that no one would see you biggrin.gif I just realized I was in the picture house a lot,before we went to the Roxy which was the closest we would stop in at the Birrels sweety shop ,and keep enough money to get and Ice Cream at the intermission ,from the woman with the tray she wore with ice cream that she sold

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 18th Aug 2007, 02:37pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,960
Oh Mags, I loved the Roxy - went there every Saturday. Do you remember the cafe beside it. It was owned by a Mr Petrillo who lived 4 closes down from me in Stratford Street. What a nice wee man he was. He eventually changed his name to Petrie because his daughter Elizabeth used to get teased about her name [kind of daft when you think about it - what's in a name eh]? Do you remember Lennie's the bakers at Gairbraid Avenue? They had lovely cakes.

The Roxy used to get all the good films. Do you remember when they brought the Golden Eagle to the Roxy? Roy Rogers also came to Eastpark Home.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 18th Aug 2007, 05:15pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
laugh.gif laugh.gif Hi marjory the roxy was also my local pictures as was the rio I stayed up in duncruin st, and remember all the old films

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 18th Aug 2007, 06:26pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Anne,

I used to go about with a girl from Duncruin Street, her name was Janette Philip but I can't remember the number. I know it was the first big red sandstone villa on the left hand side going up Duncruin Street.

+Quote Post
Alex Saville
post 31st Aug 2007, 09:00pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,890
Me too, Mags!
I was a member of the Odean & Gaumont (dont think thats spelt right!) Boys & Girls Club at the Roxy when I stayed at Collina St. Somewhere I have the membership card for that club.
I also went to The Star, The Blythswood, The Seamore or out to Cannisiesburn to the Rio.
Happy memories.
Alex

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 11th Sep 2007, 03:36am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
I went to school with a girl called Margaret Purdue I think she lived in Collina St

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
*Guest Catherine **
post 15th Jan 2008, 11:35pm
Post #7

Hi there,

I never managed to go to the Roxy - it was knocked down before I was even born... But, my Gran was an Usherette there around the end of the forties, start of the fifties. My Pappy was a soldier based at the nearby Barracks, and they met in the Roxy! It is a fantastic story! My Pappy is turning 80 this year and I was hoping that I could find a piece of memorabilia from the Roxy to give him for his birthday...

Does anyone know what might have happened to all the various bits and pieces from the cinema after it was knocked down in 1963?

Many thanks,
Catherine

+Quote Post
cwright
post 16th Jan 2008, 01:54pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,309
Hiya,
Sorry if this post turns up twice... I wasn't registered yesterday when I wrote it, so was worried it'd not make it in!

I'm wondering if anyone has any idea what would have happened to the various bits and pieces left after the Roxy was knocked down in 1963... I am too young to have ever gone there, but my Gran was an Usherette there in the late 1940's and she met my Grandfather, a soldier in the Maryhill barracks at the Roxy. My Pappy is going to be 80 this year, and I would love to find him something from the Roxy, a poster, a picture of the Usherettes, a piece of the projector... anything really, that will bring back some great memories for him!
If anyone has any idea where I might find such things then please let me know!

Many thanks,
Catherine

+Quote Post
celtic-chic67
post 16th Jan 2008, 02:11pm
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,040
hi cwright,here is a photo of the old roxy cinema in maryhill.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 16th Jan 2008, 03:57pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
laugh.gif nice picture celtchic, welcome to the boards Cwright hope you will enjoy

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
cwright
post 16th Jan 2008, 04:07pm
Post #11

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,309
Thanks Celtchic and Anne1 for the welcome and the picture! Is great to see the place they talked about so much! This is a great start to my search! Much appreciated!

+Quote Post
Cameron
post 16th Jan 2008, 10:26pm
Post #12

Super Resident
Member No.: 27
Hi Wee Mags when i went to the Rio i felt like i was going to the posh picture hall . I use to go to the Star on a Saturday morning when i was a wee guy and see all the pictures but you couldn't hear anything but hi it was fun

+Quote Post
maryhillgal
post 17th Jan 2008, 01:46am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
The Rio was quite a posh hall in those days Cameron and you felt as if you had come up in the world. I used to love the tram ride out to it. The Star on the other hand was known as the "Flea Pit" - itching to get in and scratching to get out. Do you remember they used to put up the words of songs for everyone to sing along to? Like an "old time" Karaoke.

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 17th Jan 2008, 03:06am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
I remember the eagle and I also remember when they had some kind of contest where you could go on stage and sing I cannot remember the guys name but he used to win all the time he sang "Sorrento "
my brother Jim every friday night on his way home from[ Shaws Foundry where he worked] he would stop in at lennies and get me a trifle mmmm
.Also my pal Irene was an usherette in the Star what a scream she was with her flashlite getting awe the winchers in the back row ,especialy the ones she did not like,I laugh when I think of it biggrin.gif

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
flam
post 17th Jan 2008, 04:45pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Celticchic67 Thats a great photo of the Roxy,although i am a Possilonian i vaguly remember the Roxy,Hi Wee Mags when you say that your brother Jim worked in Shaws Foundry? would that be the same as Shaw and McInnes Foundry at Firhill Road next to Partick Thistles football ground as it has been demolished in the last couple of years Cheers Flim

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.