Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radio ( Wireless? ) Shows
ilookedup
post 21st Oct 2009, 08:22pm
Post #16

Special Visitor
Member No.: 7,232
The Navy Lark; Beyond our Ken; Round the Horne; The Clitheroe Kid (best beef sausages in England in Clitheroe, almost as good as Scottish ones!); Family Favourites; Billy Cotton; Sing Something Simple; others?

sad to say I remember these. We had a brown bakelite cossor. Also remember listening to the forces request shows.

Then graduated to the top ten on luxemburg, listening to it on the tranny under the covers.

--------------------
Breathe in for passion, breathe out for joy.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
klingon
post 22nd Oct 2009, 12:56pm
Post #17

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,815
QUOTE (Rabbie @ 3rd Apr 2009, 01:55pm) *
Aye THH,

If ye watch ello ello, ye might get an idea!

Ah think the heidphones works using a wee crystal, pass a current through it, and it vibrates /occilates, hence produces sound energy.

Piezolectrical effect, basically a material that can produce lecktricity when stressed, can produce stress when lectricity is shoved through it.

A stylus operates on this principle, crystal headphones use this property tae, but only in reverse

Thats my back o a match boax theory, prolly wrang oanwi

tongue.gif

Naw yer right enough!-silicone Mica crystal and a "cats whisker"-aye really! produced a small signal which could be heard on headphones-although a bit of waxed thread was easier to procure-thread disnae scratch and hisss when ye yank a bit aff it!

--------------------
I hate two faced people-I don't know what face to punch first!

+Quote Post
Rabbit
post 24th Oct 2009, 12:26pm
Post #18

Visitor
Member No.: 7,306
I was made to listen to things like Jimmy Shand!!

+Quote Post
backcauseway
post 13th Nov 2009, 10:15pm
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 6,322
I also went a few times to the BBC radio childrens shows. A friend played in the orchestra. The programme I saw most often went out "live" called Down at the Mains. A sort of "Broons" family on a farm always with some kid reciting poetry. McCavity the Cat or the Last Train Stops at Kirkcaldy spring to mind. Then it ended with a sort of country barn dance sort of thing with all the kids in the audience up dancing about. I think all the kids that did their party pieces had been at elocution lessons at the BBC since they were born ! A teacher at my school also wrote most of the weekly script for this "thing". The Tammie Troot segment was done by a chap W.D.Joss who had a coal business in the Pollokshields area. I found out long after my father died that my dad and W.D.Joss had appeared together on the stage in the 1930s! Another show I went to was with Jimmie Logan- Its All Yours (I think). We had to clap/cheer/laugh at the "Catch Phrase". Every comic had a catch phrase " Sauseges is the boys" was Logans at the time borrowed from Tommy Lorne!!! Stanley Baxter looked about 18 years old in it!!!
Sunday afternoon started with Billy Wakey Wakey Cotton. Then at 1.45 on to Educating Archie a stuffed ventrilaquists dummy - a hugh hit on radio!!! However it had Max Bygraves, Sid James, Julie Andrews etc as some of the cast.Plus the Tanner Sisters and the Hedly Ward Trio here to entertain you!!!!! Then on to 6.45 pm and Dick Barton Special Agent. It went off the air and we got Jouney Into Space-not so good. Of course we had ITMA Its That Man Again (Eh Misses Hotchkins young Doctor Hardcastle heees luvley!!!)- Variety Bandbox-Charlie Chester-Much Binding in the Marsh. Then trying to get Radio Luxemburg on 208 m medium wave. Could not get good reception till after 10pm. But it had the hit records!!! Also getting Voice of America or Armed Forces Radio Munich They had Country and Western and Swing Bands!!! Of course "sports report" with the check of the football pools!! I still recall its signature tune. Do any remember war time radio? This is the BBC home service. Hear is the news. Our planes made 400 sorties last night against the marshelling yards at Hamm ( I think) Seemed Hamm got hammered every night. It is reported one of our planes is missing (!). Last night a raid was made on a central England town. A number of raiders were shot down. Then at the end the police messages " A bottle of pheno barbitone tablets was stolen from a doctors car. Phone Whitehall I2 12 if you find it" I always wondered if you found it in Inverness what relevance Whitehall; 12 12 meant It made me sort to want to phone Whitehall 1212!! Then the radio doctor diagnosing head lice/ scabies/rabies/toothache/child birth/ never anything interesting like why the guy in your class has got polio or why someone got scarlet fever. Or What was the great plague and how did you get it?? We got that in history but not really much on the gruesome bits any youth really really wanted to know!!

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 25th Mar 2013, 09:54am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Just thought I 'd give a wee mention to Felonious Monk's show on Sunny Govan Radio. "Born too Late", every Sunday, 12-2pm, features music from the '50s and '60s.
There's always a Motown Medley, two from the King, a dance of the week and a good selection of music.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://sunnygovanradio.com/show_recall.php?show_id=6

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 25th Mar 2013, 04:26pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
QUOTE (Dimairt @ 25th Mar 2013, 10:11am) *
Just thought I 'd give a wee mention to Felonious Monk's show on Sunny Govan Radio. "Born too Late", every Sunday, 12-2pm, features music from the '50s and '60s.
There's always a Motown Medley, two from the King, a dance of the week and a good selection of music.

Durachdan,

Eddy

http://sunnygovanradio.com/show_recall.php?show_id=6

I sometimes tune into this show. I particularly liked his comment last week when he said that none of the Sunny Govan presenters had made up names laugh.gif

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 25th Mar 2013, 04:45pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
I didn't know this thread existed.........So i'll give a wee plug to a great show on North Ayrshire's 3TFM.

It's on from 3.00pm-5.00pm every Wednesday hosted by Ex Glaswegian now North Ayrshire resident Al McKay, where you'll hear an eclectic mix of music from the 50s right up to the present day, if you like Rock, Blues, Soul and Oldies and like to discover great new acts then tune in anywhere in the world to.

http://www.3tfm.org/

Al always features an album from "Al's Archive" and plays two track's back to back, Wednesday's album is James Taylor's 1970 Sweet Baby James, so listen in on Wednesday, maybe even text in on 07904 04 6117 and let Al know you read about it on the GG board.

Rock N' Roll cool.gif

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 25th Mar 2013, 06:58pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
Tell him he owes Martin 25p for the worldwide 'plug' lol
Might just 'tune in' wink.gif

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
JAGZ1876
post 25th Mar 2013, 07:21pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,964
QUOTE (wee davy @ 25th Mar 2013, 07:15pm) *
Tell him he owes Martin 25p for the worldwide 'plug' lol
Might just 'tune in' wink.gif

He may just give you a mention WD wink.gif

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 25th Mar 2013, 08:49pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
It's so interesting to hear us talk about the old radio comedy shows most of which I remember from boyhood days. I work nights in a local hotel and get home every morning around 7.30 and retire to bed at around 8. In the bedroom we have a tv which can be set for radio programs and fortunately for me my wife also loves these old radio shows too so we put on a radio channel which broadcasts many of these old shows every morning so we can lie there listening to them, I fall asleep after a few minutes but my good lady continues to listen on.

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 26th Mar 2013, 06:05pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
You must put a link up, Doug.
Radio is STILL very much big business.
The popularity of Radio 4 knows no bounds, on its current affairs - and young people do well to listen to the arguments expounded on it. People of all ages and walks of life.

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
wee mags
post 26th Mar 2013, 06:48pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12
my older brother John used to listen to AFN Stuttgard,it had all the big bands he like Benny Goodman playing Dont be That way ',I had to go to some record store at georges cross near the subway for it as he had to order it ,he would put on all these scarey shows but who had to put the money in the meter?he would put a potatoin the fire that was my first taste of baked potato

--------------------
fae Maryhill noo the USA

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 1st May 2013, 08:48pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
I used to listen to Naked radio when it was broadcasting on radio Scotland.
I think it was on a Thursday night.
I used to listen to radio clyde.
I was even on Dr. Dick's midnight surgery, and i got to
meet a very young michael Jackson and his brothers when i went to
a radio clyde road show in the 1970's i think it was.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.