Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Radio ( Wireless? ) Shows
Evan
post 2nd Apr 2009, 02:39pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 6,714
I'm sooo old I remember the wireless! Watch for the hidden questions below which will betray YOUR age!
No TV; coal fire; brown lino round the rug; brown varnish on the doors and skirting; black and white bakelite wireless (well ... my dad was a St Mirren supporter!); mum ironing with iron plugged into light socket on ceiling; dad reading "the dugs" in the paper; me on floor with my Dinkies; wireless always on.
Very early - Listen with Mother - can just remember dancing in a circle with my mum - couldn't pronounce my "r"s properly - singing "ing a ing a oses" !!
Then on Radio Luxembourg:
Dan Dare; Take Your Pick (with Michael Miles of course); Horace Bachelor and his "method" (who knows method for what?); the Ovaltinies; The Irish Sweepstake; others?
Then on the Light Programme:
Journey into Space (David Jacobs playing Lemmy); Dick Barton, Special Agent (what was his connection with a headless horseman?); ITMA (replays); Much Binding in the Marsh; Life with the Lyons; Educating Archie with a young Julie Andrews and an almost as young Max Bygraves (what was "daft" about this show being on the radio?); Workers Playtime; the ONE & ONLY GOON SHOW; then:-
The Navy Lark; Beyond our Ken; Round the Horne; The Clitheroe Kid (best beef sausages in England in Clitheroe, almost as good as Scottish ones!); Family Favourites; Billy Cotton; Sing Something Simple; others?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
championi26
post 2nd Apr 2009, 03:10pm
Post #2

Super Resident
Member No.: 3,968
Used to love a Sunday afternoon as a boy listening to the Nvy Lark and Clitheroe Kid......They are constantly rerunning these on BBC Radio....I tend to listen to then on iplayer

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 2nd Apr 2009, 07:02pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
The Man In Black - Valentine Dyall

+Quote Post
strathspey
post 3rd Apr 2009, 07:25am
Post #4

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,321
I liked the dramas on 'Childrens' Hour' - particularly those written by Angus McVicar: 'Faraway Island', 'The Grey Pilot' (I named my daughter after the heroine in that one).
Then, on Tuesdays there was 'Down at the Mains', with Teenie Tamson and the Blairkindie Glee Club.
Innocent, unsophisticated days, fondly remembered.

+Quote Post
Evan
post 3rd Apr 2009, 07:35am
Post #5

Visitor
And of course PC 49 with Brian Reece; well before Dixon of Dock Green and in the days when one police constable could apprehend a whole gang of bank robbers. "Hello, hello, hello. Will you come quietly?" "Certainly Guv, only too pleased to" !!!!

+Quote Post
brian432
post 3rd Apr 2009, 09:56am
Post #6

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
Too young to remember these, except Dixon of Dock Green.
Whit's a wireless laugh.gif laugh.gif

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
Evan
post 3rd Apr 2009, 10:23am
Post #7

Visitor
Dear Brian "the youngster" in Oz.
It's called a "magic box with voices" over there. If you're in a city in Oz, you may just get the "television" - "magic box with voices and neighbours".
LOL (I hope!)

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 3rd Apr 2009, 11:24am
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
When I was a kid, before we had tellies, my uncle who was confined to a wheelchair from 12 years old made a "wireless" using a Swan Vestas matchbox and a crystal. (?)
Called it a "Cat's Whisker".
His metal bedstead was the aerial and you needed a headset but it did work.

Any one know how ?

Beats me even now.

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 3rd Apr 2009, 11:56am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Aye THH,

If ye watch ello ello, ye might get an idea!

Ah think the heidphones works using a wee crystal, pass a current through it, and it vibrates /occilates, hence produces sound energy.

Piezolectrical effect, basically a material that can produce lecktricity when stressed, can produce stress when lectricity is shoved through it.

A stylus operates on this principle, crystal headphones use this property tae, but only in reverse

Thats my back o a match boax theory, prolly wrang oanwi

tongue.gif

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Evan
post 3rd Apr 2009, 01:43pm
Post #10

Visitor
Hi Rabbie and THH:
I remember my father telling he had made a crystal set in the 20s and used to listen on his headphones to 2LO (pre BBC). Certainly in the 50s, Eagle and Meccano Magazine used to carry instructions for these but as we had the electric "box with the voices" I never saw the point.
You could always borrow some Swarovski and have a go!
Not the correct forum, but wasn't the Eagle great? Dan Dare in pictures to go with Dan Dare on Radio Lux!

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 3rd Apr 2009, 04:21pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Desert Island Disks

+Quote Post
AlexK
post 29th Sep 2009, 02:38am
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 7,398
I went to the BBC studios on Queen Margaret Drive 4 or 5 times in the early '50s to see episodes of a radio serial being made. There were 2 programs made - the first was called Tammy Troot (I think) and was just 1 man reading what was a children's story. The the full program has a few people on the cast (maybe 6 or 7 - some of them played more than one character) sound effects etc. I think it was a family drama. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Alex

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 29th Sep 2009, 08:01am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (AlexK @ 29th Sep 2009, 05:43am) *
I went to the BBC studios on Queen Margaret Drive 4 or 5 times in the early '50s to see episodes of a radio serial being made. There were 2 programs made - the first was called Tammy Troot (I think) and was just 1 man reading what was a children's story. The the full program has a few people on the cast (maybe 6 or 7 - some of them played more than one character) sound effects etc. I think it was a family drama. Does this ring any bells with anyone?

Alex

My guess would be "The McFlannels", with neighbours like the McCottons and an awfy posh lady, Mrs Broderie- Anglaise.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
AlexK
post 30th Sep 2009, 03:58am
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 7,398
Thanks Bilbo.s Yes - that sounds right. While your description seems comfortable to me, I can't pretend to remember much about the shows. Perhaps I only went for the Tammy Troot segment?

Alex

+Quote Post
marydee
post 2nd Oct 2009, 09:28pm
Post #15

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,766
As Evan says, lights, out coal fire burning and Saturday Night Theatre

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 27th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.