Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Cambridge
vinnie
post 17th Jan 2008, 05:43pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 5,308
i can recall back in 1959 going to the Cambridge theater,i think it was on New City Road if my memory serves me well,i seen Darby O;Gill and the Little People, it was funny till the banshee appeared on the screen,had nightmares for 3 days,another scary flick was the Crawling Eye with Forrest Tucker,was a big alien eye with tentacles sticking out,during intermission they show food and ice cream on the screen all i had was my wee thrupence bit,and they always played Telstar by the Tornadoes
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 17th Jan 2008, 05:50pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
welcome to the boards Vinnie, went to the cambridge quite a few times spent more time at roxy and Rio laugh.gif

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
rosie-k
post 24th Jan 2008, 04:43pm
Post #3

Super Resident
Member No.: 1,468
I can remember going to the Cambridge with ny mother, we had to stand in a queue, I also remember the sweet shop that was next door, the sweets were rationed at the time, my mother bought us a macaroon bar each and this was supposed to be eaten when the picture started, needless to say I ate mine.

I must have been a right greedy wee minx as I remember being refused a bit of hers, I can't remember the name of the picture, this must have been about the 40's I think, still have a sweet tooth to this day unfortunately.

When we came out we went along New City Rd. to a Mr.Green's paper shop and bought a comic, funny things that stick in your mind. Sometimes can't remember what happened a week ago.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 24th Jan 2008, 05:45pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
I know what you mean Rosie about memory at times

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
Heather
post 24th Jan 2008, 08:03pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
As I lived in the Cowcaddens I went to the Cambridge often. We moved to Barlanark while I was still at school and when I got married we lived in Shamrock Street, five minutes from the Cambridge

The one film that sticks in my mind that I saw in the Cambridge was,' Shenandoah', I cried my eyes out at that film.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 6th Jun 2008, 07:08pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
The Cambridge.

Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
jock
post 6th Jun 2008, 10:36pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Thanks eddy/heather the Cambridge photo bring back many memories. Was it located on New City Rd.??

+Quote Post
Heather
post 15th Jul 2008, 10:46pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Yes Jock it was. Coming from the Cowcaddens it was on the right hand side of New City Road.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
jock
post 16th Jul 2008, 06:08am
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Thanks Heather, I did not remember if the New City Rd. name continued "roon the bend" at Cowcaddens. I was at the Cambridge the same day I left for America. ............but that's another story........

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 29th Nov 2008, 04:45pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
New City Rd. ends at the Normal School and across the street (Cowcaddens) there was the Grand Picture House and just up the road there was Dallas's, thank God the Theatre Royal & S.TV is still there

+Quote Post
*Barbara McBride*
post 29th Jun 2010, 07:53pm
Post #11

I grew up in 127 New City Rd Glasgow. I remember playing around New City Rd and Shamrock St and going to The Normal School, and also St Georges Rd School. I used to go to the Cambridge picturehouse also The Grand. I used to love playing rounders in the high backs with friends and al lot of the adults used to join in with us. I remember we used to take the empty jam jars back to the shop and getting a hapenny for each one also the empty ginger bottles. I used to love it when neighbours woul ask me to get their messages and newspapers for them and gettin apenny or two for that sometimes I would get a thrupence or a sixpence if I was lucky. I used to buy crisps and penny caramels and a wee bottle of ginger and going to the mattnee at the pictures on a Saturday afternoon. I loved watching the cowboy and indian pictures and everybody would shout hooray for the goodies and boo for the baddies. Those were the days we were contented, happy and appreciated the simple things. When I got older I started work at Sand P harris at georges Square as a machinist I would get the tramcar every morning and back home again at night. I got 2 10 shillings a week I gave my ma 2 and thought I was well off with 10 bob. I lived in Maryhill Rd when I was 16 facing the Seamore picturehouse the traffic lights just below our window and although the tennament building is demolished, the traffic lights are still their. When I married I moved to Drumchapel which was a new scheme at that time. Now I live in England. I am so proud of my roots and enjoy reminissing on my childhood even although we were poor in 1944 they were happy times too Barbara Day formally McBride

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Jun 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.