Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Howdens/ Scotland Street, The Death of a famous Factory
Tennscot
post 6th Aug 2007, 12:14am
Post #1

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,796
I Helped Tear the Guts out of a bit of Glasgow History as the Last Tunnel Boring Machine went out the Front Door. I wondered just how many Lives and how many memories had been affected good or bad Thro` the years. My wife told me they`d used it as a shelter during WW2.I had never realized how big it was . It`s Power Station could have supported just about the whole of the surrounding area. My Wife had grown up in Carnoustie Street. She Couldn`t tell me much as her father had gone into the Merchant Navy during WW2. I`m sure there`s lots of tales to be told. Who wants to start.?????
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 2nd Aug 2008, 03:49am
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
Hi Tennscot, my father in law, George McGregor worked all his days in Howden's, he was a grinder. I lived very close to there, first in Avon Street, then when we were married we lived in a single end round the corner in Shields Road. It was a good place to live back then, handy to all transport, including the subway. And lots of picture houses.

+Quote Post
stratson
post 2nd Aug 2008, 11:06am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
My granda lived in In Carnoustie St. When It was called Crookston St.(off topic)
Think my cousin ,Bannerman is the name worked there..(from Scotland Street
162, jist roon frae Carnoustie St.) smile.gif

Old friend of mine was married to a Joe Finnegan who worked in Howdens, constant nightshift.

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 2nd Aug 2008, 12:39pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
The thing I remember about Howdens was my sister going after a job in the office. Get this they apologized and said we don’t employ Catholics in our office are you interested in working in the factory.That was the late fifties.Could you imagine that taking place today. Thank god things have changed. I'm told it was a very good company to work for,

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
*David monk*
post 9th Oct 2008, 02:12pm
Post #5

My Dad Tony Monk done his apprenticship and worked there in the 60's i think any info e-mail me davidmonk1@hotmail.com

+Quote Post
*ROBERT A. MACKAYC*
post 28th Nov 2008, 12:45am
Post #6

I used to work at Howden's on Garscube Road it was at the top of Trossachs St and was next to Whitbreads, good memories

+Quote Post
Agnes & Robert
post 14th Dec 2008, 11:11pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,256
My Niece's Husband's Father was the Superintendant there in Scotland Street, I worked in the one on Garscube Rd. next to Whitbreads back on 1945 I don't know if Howden's is still in operation, I that the one on Garscube Rd. is gone. My neice's Father's name was Bain, I think he retired a couple of years ago

+Quote Post
**David**
post 4th Mar 2013, 07:58am
Post #8

Does anyone fancy keeping this thread going???

+Quote Post
*fraser thomson*
post 5th Jun 2014, 04:33pm
Post #9

Hi-my dad Bill Thomson was a draughtsman in Howden's drawing office-then at Butters cranes in Mclellan st-before rejoining Howden's at their place in Renfrew-before he retired in 1992-sadly he passed away in July 1997 at 67 years old.

+Quote Post
**jaguarladdie**
post 6th Nov 2014, 02:52pm
Post #10

I was a draughtsman beside you dad Bill Thomson when he was at Butters Cranes. I was 2 drawing-boards in front of him and we could look out the window and see the "new" M8 being built.

Our boss was Davie Mitchell. All the crane and mechanical grab drawings were done in pencil and ink. I worked with Bill until 1975 when I got married and went to live in Canada. Came back to Scotland in 1978.

Your dad was a gentleman and a pleasure to work with. Happy memories of his banter and his great sense of humour. Happy days!

+Quote Post
zascot
post 7th Nov 2014, 05:19pm
Post #11

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 612
Howdens have a place here in Jhb.. They have a furnace division which is one of our opposition.

--------------------
Take only photos. Leave only footprints. Kill only time.

+Quote Post
irrie
post 8th Nov 2014, 02:27pm
Post #12

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
was there no a howdens in maryhill. or is my memory playing tricks excuse the absence of capitals i got a new puter and cant find the key. g

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 8th Nov 2014, 03:06pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
QUOTE (irrie @ 8th Nov 2014, 02:44pm) *
was there no a howdens in maryhill. or is my memory playing tricks excuse the absence of capitals i got a new puter and cant find the key. g

Howden's on the Garscube Rd., opposite Hopehill Rd., next to Whitbread's brewery.

Durachdan,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.