Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Looking For Joe ...? Please Read, Looking for my birth father , could you know him ?
june67
post 20th Aug 2013, 11:12am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,115
Hi everyone , this is my first posting and would appreciate any advice or help.

I am looking for my birth father Joe.
My birth name was June Leverage, I was born at Rottenrow hospital Glasgow on the 04/06/67.
My birth mother was Mary Leverage known as Marie. She had an older child a son. I believe her married name is Steele.
Unfortunately I don't have a surname for my birth father all I know is that his name is Joe , he only has one arm due to an accident in childhood. His profession was that of a lorry driver and he's a Glaswegian .
I met my bio mom ten years ago , she lived in the Gorbals all her life- latterly in the high rise flats where she was an active member of the community running a tuck shop and instrumental in starting a computer club, however the relationship fizzled out .( I lost all contact details and search paperwork in a house move and am happily remarried so she wouldn't have current details to pass onto Joe) .The last I knew was that she had moved to the new builds when the tower blocks were demolished. She told me that my birth father was desperately against me being adopted and always hoped I'd make contact.
I understand totally that the adoption was out of either of their control and have no issues about it , respecting that it must have been a horrific thing to go through.
Joe if you read this you have 3 wonderful grandchildren who'd also love to meet you. (2 still live at home with me ,the eldest who has left home for college ironically is also called Joe !!!
I know this is a long shot with no known surname but please if anyone can help me find my birth father I would be so so grateful as he is the missing piece to my 'family jigsaw'. Many Thanks in advance Tracey x
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
serabash
post 20th Aug 2013, 01:09pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
good luck with your search tracey, there surely cannot be that many one armed joe's out there of that age. I know Norrie123 was a concierge at the gorbals flats maybe he will remember your mother. once again good luck.

+Quote Post
Tori G
post 20th Aug 2013, 02:19pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,927
Hi Tracey good luck in your search.

Have you thought about any amputee organisations in Glasgow, maybe worth a try, there may also be forums for amputee's.

--------------------
Thats what I think anyway

+Quote Post
june67
post 20th Aug 2013, 08:06pm
Post #4

Unpacking
Hi Serabash,
Thanks for taking the time to reply -much appreciated. My hopes exactly , I'd loved to have put that in the title but thought "calling all one armed......" May be a tad crass. Lol !!
Thanks for the tip about Norrie123 that's a great pointer, especially as when I traced her the concierge knew her well as everyone in the area seemed to too. We were stopped every two minutes and the news of Marie being with an English girl caused interest. (I was born in Scotland but raised in England by a Scottish family).
Thanks again Tracey

Serabash
You're a star thanks for the extra info , I'll go and sign up to those sites too. Can't thank you enough.
Take care ,Tracey

+Quote Post
june67
post 20th Aug 2013, 08:11pm
Post #5

Unpacking
Hi Tori G,
What a great idea I'd never have thought of that in a million years! I'll get onto that right away.
Thank you for your good wishes and as with Serabash taking the time out of your day to help, I'm very grateful .
Take care, Tracey

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 21st Aug 2013, 09:11pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Hi June67, I see you have joined Glescapals ?
I will copy and paste your post to another site that is for Gorbals, some of them still live in the area
Marie Steele is not a name that is familiar to me, she could have lived at Stirlingfaulds ot Sandiefield
All the best in your quest

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
june67
post 23rd Aug 2013, 04:42pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Hi Norrie,
Thank you so much , that's really kind of you and I appreciate any help.
Marie has a son called Colin Leverage he was also a concierge but not sure where in Glasgow. I have just found an Internet article for NG homes in which they talk about concierge team leader Colin Leverage (and a Frank Bradley) who patrol Wellfield & Balgrayhill multis & Viewpoint Place Baragrayhill , Lenzie Deck and Broadholm St. (Sorry all the areas are a mystery to me ) So presume one and the same man. I don't know if you may have come across him being in the same career?
I was hoping to trace my birth father without involving my birth mother's family as I have been let down previously but if that is the only avenue available to get contact information for Joe - as that is all I really want then obviously that's what I'll do.
Once again a big thank you for your help and good wishes.
Take care
Tracey

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 23rd Aug 2013, 04:50pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Hi June, ths sites are in the north of Glasgow, Springburn, Possilpark.
The name Leverage doesnt ring any bells, I will run the names past a contact who still works as a concierge and may have come across them, I will get back to you

+Quote Post
june67
post 23rd Aug 2013, 07:14pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Norrie, you're a star ! Thank you so much

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 25th Aug 2013, 08:44am
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Hi June, no luck from my contact, he checked the GHA list of Concierge and nothing came up
Best thing to do is contact North City Housing and see if they can help, the folk your looking for work for them
Sorry I couldnt help

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
june67
post 25th Aug 2013, 10:57am
Post #11

Unpacking
Norrie ,
Please don't apologise , I'm overwhelmed at how much trouble you've gone to, to try and help me , you have been really kind and I can't tell you how grateful I am.
Yes I think you're right and the next step should be to contact North City Housing, maybe including a letter for Colin as I presume data protection would stop them giving his details out.
My biggest hope is somebody who hasn't read this yet will know a one armed lorry driver from Glasgow called Joe - as said previously there can't be many people fitting that unusual ID .
Once again a big thank you!!!
Take care biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 25th Aug 2013, 11:16am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Hi June, just checked another site that I posted your request on , plenty of looks but as yet, no reply
Good idea to ask for the letter to be handed over, yes Data Protection will come into play
Let us know if you have any success
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
**Gorbalsgirl**
post 21st Jan 2014, 04:15am
Post #13

Hi June

Randomly passing thru and looked at ur post. I know who ur mum Marie Steele is (not personally) she stayed next to my friends she was friends with their mum in the tuck shop and lived up 200 sandiefield rd then moved away. She still visits the gorbals as ive seen her and her man a few times. I will see what i can find out from my pals for you as their mum knows marie 'very' well.

+Quote Post
*Mich*
post 15th Aug 2014, 11:27pm
Post #14

Hi Tracy just came across this by looking for someone else I am an in-law to the the leverages your dad's name was joe Parker he was from ladage street denniston area (am not sure if that's how you spell the street name) hope this helps you in some way if you need any more info please don't hesitate to ask I will ask for you x

+Quote Post
**June67**
post 2nd Jun 2020, 12:09am
Post #15

Hi Mich
In the slim chance that you see this post!
Thank you so much for your msg . Unfortunately I didn't see it for years and was unable to log in to reply sorry.
I took a trip to Scotland and my husband and I searched Dennistoun library records with the librarians help for any form of Ladage St or Joe Parker to no avail . We asked all over if anyone knew of him but sadly drew a blank.
I'm sorry to trouble you but if you can give any more information or if you know anybody who knows him personally I would be very grateful. ( I appreciate giving out personal info is sensitive so I'm happy to give my contact details to be given to Joe )As I said years ago I know this is a long shot and I may be too late, hopefully not.
Just to reiterate I only have positive feelings towards my birth father and this is all with the best possible intentions.

Many many thanks in advance
Tracey / June67 x

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Jul 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.