Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Pots And Pans Hen Night
Heather
post 2nd Nov 2010, 10:10pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
' A shirrackin' no decent women with any respect for herself would behave like that in public. ohmy.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
benny
post 2nd Nov 2010, 10:59pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
As Angel said, it was called a "bottling", at least in some areas. The last one I remember was about 1978 in Alexandria, near Balloch. Ah wis caught in two different pubs by aw the mad wimmin wi their chanty fulla salt, an covered in ribbons. Even worse, ah had tae pay twice! biggrin.gif

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
baggymaggs
post 3rd Nov 2010, 02:02am
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 8,867
rolleyes.gif the last bottling i ever saw was in 1997 i worked in the rock bar in possil rd and the girls came in and a few of the boys ducked into the toilet ha! ha! thay sang hard up kick the can and im getting married in the morning it was good fun and i got the bride to be a big drink. wub.gif

--------------------
See you later xx

+Quote Post
baggymaggs
post 3rd Nov 2010, 02:14am
Post #19

Settling In
Member No.: 8,867
rolleyes.gif oh! i forgot to say it did take place at the show of presents just before the wedding you had a wee get together a wee drink and some food had a look at the presents and then you hit the streets with your pots and pans and the couple that i went to we had a wee drink in every pub it was hard going ha!ha! it was a great laugh and the lass got a few bob to boot! laugh.gif

--------------------
See you later xx

+Quote Post
*Andy Wilson*
post 6th Nov 2010, 06:13pm
Post #20

QUOTE (Heather @ 2nd Nov 2010, 09:56pm) *
' A shirrackin' no decent women with any respect for herself would behave like that in public. ohmy.gif

Aye mebbe so but in those times the only protection from an erring spouse was the protection of her neighbours-any "decent woman" having to endure a philandering husband or a partner spending his weeks wage in the pub would gladly behave like that in public other than get "shown the hoose" by her loving husband!-remember this was 50-60 years ago,women had no protection like todays modern women-no hostels for battered wives or the like-a lot of women "put up with it" and lived their lives in misery,so a "shirriking" was no bad thing-it told the general populace of the area just what was going on behind closed doors and normally stopped the miscreant dead in his tracks.

Not all of us were brought up in nice middle class areas Heather!-The Tenements had a really bad dark side as well.

+Quote Post
poolie
post 28th Nov 2010, 11:46am
Post #21

Resident
Member No.: 8,428
By this is another trip down memory lane for me.i left glasgow in 1959 but I lived near two factories and it was a common occurence to see a crowd coming out at closing time friday with THE BRIDE all decorated and carrying her potty and all the others singing along beside her.
i remember show of presents which took place at brides home shortly before the wedding we don't have that down here in England.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 25th Aug 2012, 10:54pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
I only remember one, I was sent to Margaret's stationery shop on Broomston Road in Balornock. Loud noises and singing attracted my attention as I watched some young ladies cavorting along the road banging pots and singing songs, being seven or eight years old I was mesmerized by it all.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th Aug 2012, 02:09am
Post #23

This was a common practise in among the "Mill Lassies" of Paisley and surrounding districts to dress up and with their friends, bridesmaids and wedding guests, go out on the "bevvy" and dance through the streets decorated and stoshious. Males were cornered and expected to contribute cash to the "chanty" carried by the future bride. As this was normaly on a Friday night they did quite well. After making a contribution you got to kiss the bride, and as I recall in one particular occasion I got to kiss most of the wedding party. A grand old Scottish custom I was more that happy to participate in.

+Quote Post
Melody
post 26th Aug 2012, 08:16am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
We still see them occasionally here and they always make me smile. smile.gif

I remember having a bouquet made of weeds and a baby's potty with salt in it, passing men and boys who seemed to have been forced to put money in it . laugh.gif Some of the men ran away ( well they did have to kiss the bride laugh.gif)

Although I remember dreading it all it was great fun and everybody was lovely. Mind ye I was shocked when I saw the state of my granny's pots after all that bashing of them. Great fun and a lovely memory really. None of the really crazy limos and stuff they seem to have today though.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 26th Aug 2012, 10:15am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I haven't seen a hen night like that in years, remember the song "hands up kick the can". Mary laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th May 2015, 10:21am
Post #26

A Shirrakin was a public argument usually done by the Women to the man a public. Riddiculing if you like when the man got caught out or spent his wages . It would also happen to women who whent with married men.

My Nana told me all this born in 1906 Govan lived until 1999 in Pollok.

Most of this came from Gossip doon the Steamie.

God Bless Her.

+Quote Post
petunia
post 26th May 2015, 01:11pm
Post #27

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
Another song I remember was "Down in yonder meadow where the green grass grows"

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 28th May 2015, 01:42am
Post #28

QUOTE (nippynell @ 2nd Nov 2010, 09:53pm) *
I think it was called " A Shirraking " Not really too sure, but that name rings a bell, it would be good to find out. biggrin.gif

Described in full in the novel " No Mean City" where "Razor King" gets a sherriking from a long time girl friend he has dumped for some
other woman.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 5th Jun 2015, 10:25am
Post #29

QUOTE (Guest @ 26th Aug 2012, 02:17am) *
This was a common practise in among the "Mill Lassies" of Paisley and surrounding districts to dress up and with their friends, bridesmaids and wedding guests, go out on the "bevvy" and dance through the streets decorated and stoshious. Males were cornered and expected to contribute cash to the "chanty" carried by the future bride. As this was normaly on a Friday night they did quite well. After making a contribution you got to kiss the bride, and as I recall in one particular occasion I got to kiss most of the wedding party. A grand old Scottish custom I was more that happy to participate in.

I remember the 'Mill Lassies" and their round the streets wedding ritual and all the kisses I could get after the pubs shut.
Great times and good fun. Danny Kyle wrote a song about them.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.