Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow ' Ghost Trains ', Bygone Glasgow
carntyne
post 26th Mar 2008, 02:25pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 766
Does anyone remember the Glasgow ”Ghost Trains”? The big electric dustcarts used by the Cleansing Dept. They crept about the streets so quietly, you did not hear them coming. They were a 1928 ecologically marvel, years ahead of their time as means of rubbish removal. They ran on electricity generated from burning the city’s rubbish at Govan RPW which was between Craigton Rd & Helen St in Govan –see Virtual Mitchell C41. I briefly worked with them when I was with the Cleansing Dept. They were being scraped in 1963 many have worked double shifted since 1928. Very few pictures exist of them and they are an almost forgotten part of the city’s history.
See www.theglasgowstory.com/image.php?inum=TGSE01344 and Virtual Mitchell - C6216 C1815.

I would like to here from any one who remembers them or the cleansing dept.

Yours Harry.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jack j
post 11th Dec 2011, 08:43pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 8,971
i have just come across this item so i may be a bit late but i started work as a salvage boy in 1961 and used to pack the cardboard and paper (and anything else too big to go inside them) i loved that job (my first) we worked from sawmillfield st depot they seemed to work day and night and they were very heavy and cumbersome i once fell off the top of one on hill st or around there the driver was going downhill when he turned right hit the kerb and i summersaulted head over heels and landed on my feet but i was ok but the driver was more shaken the me and he made me sit in the cab for the next hour or so till he calmed down the health and safety would have had a ball if it had existed then

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 12th Dec 2011, 07:42am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
If I remember correctly one of my uncles worked on these carts, they were loaded from the side and had leather straps? hanging down to keep the rubbish inside.
They also had running boards running the length of the cart for the workers to stand on as it moved from pick up point to pick up point

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Dec 2011, 09:15am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
When I think about this what I think about is all the ashes from the coal fires. Or am I imagining it? mellow.gif

+Quote Post
tombro
post 12th Dec 2011, 09:21am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
In those days Glasgow was an electric leader !

Electric Garbage Trucks that did their job without noise or fuss, a Tram System that was the equal of any in the modern world and the famous 'Whispering Death' Trolley Buses.

Oh, how far the once mighty have fallen !

Tombro huh.gif huh.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 12th Dec 2011, 09:34am
Post #6

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Hi..Good to hear about the early days of keeping Glasgow Streets clean and free from litter.
Here is a link to a short film in the 1940's

Keeping Our City Clean.

Martin...

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 12th Dec 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.