Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

1182 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Possilpark
Rating 4 V
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 06:00pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Possilpark

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Possilpark

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
possilgirl
post 24th Mar 2007, 08:15pm
Post #2

Visitor
Member No.: 408
I grew up on Hawthorn st then we moved to Mansion st sadly all gone now ,,, But god the memories cant take them away as the song goes . I can mins chasing the rag and bone man and giving him my new cardigan that my mammy had just knitted so I could get a balloon on a stick lol , And denmark st the best st in the world to roller skate was as smooth as a baby's bum lol , And Lawlors the sweetie shop was on denmark st , The Avon chippie on saracen st and One Eyes the chippie as well we only went there when the Avon was shut lol, And going to the Vouge on a sat afternoon to watch the movies for threepence lol showing my age lol och well only a number

+Quote Post
buntyq
post 30th Apr 2007, 11:35pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 15
What a great idea, Martin. You've started something. This Board will go on for years. My family moved from Springburn, where I was born, to Possilpark when I was about six. During my visit home in 2005 I was pleased to see that the closes where I lived in Ardoch Street are still there but I think the wee Methodist church is gone as well as the Church of Scotland at the corner of Bardowie Street. I left Possilpark in 1948 for America when it was still a thriving district of working folks. The Wee Possil was our first picture house. That was where my mother took me to see "The Raven" and I had nightmares for months. Poor soul, she thought it would be about birds!! The name was changed to The Avon when the Mecca was built - a wee bit more classy. Bardowie Street. I can just taste the fish and chips dowsed with vinegar from Perrotis. I lately read that the Scots use lemon on their fish and chips - no for me. Next door to Perrotis was the bakery where I could buy a bag of broken biscuits or fetch a loaf of Cuttin' Bread (day old) with the black and white crusts. (On my first visit back when my Dad died I brought a loaf back to America. I was so scared Customs would take it from me.) Next to the bakery was Gilchrist the Butcher. My mother always had her mince ground from a piece of meat. She said they put rubbish into the readymade mince. Our M.D. had his practice on that side of the street. For the long wait, if you weren't that sick when you went in chances are you would come out with something.

Someone take it from there or else I will be hogging the Board.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Feb 2008, 03:07pm
Post #4

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Posted by corrigan as a 'Report' post:

I went to ST THERESAS school, where we would go to the chapel park to roll our easter eggs on easter sunday. This was an ordinary egg that we boiled and painted on the saturday night, believe or not then we all thought it was great fun. the only thing was it raining and cold seemed

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
mamie
post 14th Mar 2008, 08:01pm
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,364
i was born in barloch street in 1939. i left when i was 19 , although times were not always the best, my childhood has many happy memories. i would love to know where all my childhood friends went.. one of my memories is that of a crowd of kids leaving the street to walk away out the balmore road to the canal banks, we would plan it the night before especially if there was a red sky at night. ( remember the saying a red sky at night is a shepards delight ) well the excitement of getting up early the next morning, pack our bread and jam with a bottle of water, and the advwnture would begin........there would be around twenty of us from toddlers to around twelve or thirteen, away we would go. as i thought right into the country., and along the canal banks to pick bluebells in the woods. i do:nt think that would happen now, there did not seem the same worry then about child saftey. another memory was of my father taking us out to the grave yard to tend to my g.parents grave!!!!!!that would be on a good summer day, we would play while he was working away. i loved the scenery, you could see in the distance the campsie hills, i s uppose to me we were in another world from the tenements in barloch street..........in saracen street there was tempaltans grocerey store , the lido cafe a pub at the corner of bardowie street a newsagents a co op down near where the possil picture hall was, i went there every saturday....hey!!!!!! i sen:t this great ,( it must do your old brian box a power of good, trying to remember all these places) remember dr. montgomerys surgery. as it was said when you went in you had to say whoes last. when you think of it everybody ws coughing and spluttering, it could not have done us any harm as we are still here. i will let someone else carry on, keep it rolling, looking forward for anymore memories from the dear green place

+Quote Post
Roth
post 15th Mar 2008, 09:54pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,153
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 06:07 PM) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Possilpark

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Possilpark

GG.

+Quote Post
Roth
post 15th Mar 2008, 09:59pm
Post #7

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,153
I lived in Allander Street in the early days of the WW2. One day I found a bag containing what we thought was grass seed and spread it on the backyard. WE had to call in the sanitary people, it hatched out into a plague of little black insects by the million. My ear hurt for ages.

At that time we all spent more time in the air raid shelter, it was rigged out with home comforts, and nearly got our wish when a bomb fell on the school. Happy days.

+Quote Post
flam
post 16th Mar 2008, 01:53pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi Corrigan.You would probably remember the Police Box,The ladies and Gents toilets,McManus,s Pawn,Perottis Fish and Chip shop {Later to become Peter Buonacorsis-Peters Snacks} Sammy Devines fruit shop,The Laundrette,Hacksons,The Saracen pubs,The Possil Picture House,Bennetts,and Forresters Stores and many more within a 100 Yards of Saracen Cross Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Gertrude
post 11th Apr 2008, 05:57pm
Post #9

Settling In
Member No.: 141
I was born in Stonyhurst Street in 1937 (I am 71 today) and still remember all the things we kids used to get up to. Going to the parks, playing shops and hooses in the back yard wi' our rag dolls and taking pieces and a bottle of water when we went to visit our grandparents at Lambhill cemetery! We had a great time playing among the gravestones and looking at the pictures on the Italian gravestones, which were sometimes very fancy. There was Galbraiths, Alec McCrae wee sweetie shop, where my big brother Peter used to buy me a halfpenny's worth of white chocolate drops, there was the Co-op, the Blind Asylum, Leonardi's Ice Cream shop, and two other ice cream parlours whose names I forget. (Gie's a break, I'm 71 noo) lol! laugh.gif
Went to St. Theresa's school as had my four other siblings, was taught my ABC's by Miss Mary Martin and then when I was 7 she taught me how to knit and sing at the same time! Still doing it today! Must have had a happy childhood despite WWII because I did not realize we were poor until one of my big brothers told me. Remember the night of the Clydebank blitz and running to the neighbours flat on the ground floor. My mother would not go to the air raid shelter as she found it too mucky - we just hopped into bed with the other children, and Mum and Granny Allan sat drinking tea until the "all clear" was sounded.
There was a lot of camaraderie in the districts in those days, and people tried to help others less fortunate, even though they did not have much themselves.

+Quote Post
mamie
post 29th Apr 2008, 07:26pm
Post #10

City Key Holder
I WILL TRY AGAIN !!!!!!!TO ANSWER GERTRUDE, JUST TO SEE IF I GET IT RIGHT THIS TIME. I HAVE ALREADY SENT A REPLY TO YOUR MAIL , BUT I MUST HAVE DONE SOMETHING WRONG, SO I AM TESTING TESTING

+Quote Post
mamie
post 29th Apr 2008, 07:45pm
Post #11

City Key Holder
hi!!!!!!!!!! to flam and gertrude, it was great to here from possil, i have already wrote a big reply, but i must have done something wrong, i hope i do:nt go through all this again only to make a mistake and not be able to get it through..... anyway this time i will make it short and sweet, i remember all the places that was mentioned, with plenty more, i went to st theresas school. gertrude i think my sister ellen corrigan would have been in your class , she is also 71. if you remember her,it would be nice. also there was a family called mcnamee who lived in stonyhurst st that went to school with another one of my sisters. it would be nice to correspond with people from our childhood days!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i will leave it here, i wonder if there is anyway i could retrieve the message that never got through, if you know how maybe you would let et me know. ta ta for now. ps did you ever go to the dancing in the ashfield on a sunday night

+Quote Post
flam
post 29th Jun 2008, 01:41pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All Hopefully you will see a photo of Alex McRaes shop in Stonyhurst St I have downsized it so keeping my fingers crossed it works Cheers Flim
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Gertrude
post 29th Jul 2008, 02:39am
Post #13

Settling In
Member No.: 141
Mamie, I do not remember your sister Ellen but that does not mean we did not go to school together, just that my memory is not too good!! I remember the name McNamee though. I just loved the picture of Alex McCrae's wee shop posted by Flam, what memories that brings back. Oh, the innocent days of our youth, a piece and a bottle of water and off we would go for the day. I always felt safe in Possilpark but in those days we knew all the "bobbies" and they knew us too, so we had to behave (most of the time)! Great to read all the posts.

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 29th Jul 2008, 08:25am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
I had a cousin who stayed in 2 Barloch St Mame Jackie Robertson maybe you knew him[roughly same age group]

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
stratson
post 29th Jul 2008, 12:29pm
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,660
Used to love visiting my brother Jack and my sis-in-law Anne, they lived in Fruin Street, can remember when they got the house, in those days the North of the city was like another country,can remember all those shops,had great times visiting them and the children, just loved Possil.was a very happy house. biggrin.gif

--------------------
"WELCOME TO MY WORLD"

+Quote Post

1182 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.