Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Govan
Jim D
post 22nd May 2012, 12:19pm
Post #31

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
I was born in Kintra Street, above Delaney's shop. As a child I went to the Summertown Road Nursery School, then to St Saviours School. The school had an annual trip doon the watter on the Caledonia(?), sailing from the Princes Dock. My granny stayed above Stewarts grocer shop at the corner of Neptune Street and Summertown Road. Diagonally opposit her was the Rag Store. As was already mentioned - the gas lamps in the streets and closes. If the mantle was out at the bottom of the close then you knew there was a ghostie man up that close. lol I also remember that me and my brothers all had crew cuts. We'd be coming home from school and the barber - Maurie, would pull us in for a haircut. He'd tell us to let my dad know and he would pay him at the weekend when he was in for his own haircut.

The family, including uncles, aunts and cousins, would to on a Tuesday night to the Swimming Baths at Clynder Street. The kids would go again at the weekend. Walking down Broomloan Road past the subway repair depot and the rear of Govan Police Office on my way to going to the minors at the Plaza on a Saturday morning to see Charlie Chan and Commander Cody and Flash Gordon.

Going to the wee tobacco shop, next to Kennedy's Pub, so that my old Irish Granny could by her snuff. Continueing on and walking past the Govan Goods Yard and having to wait while the Fairfield train pulled the carriages loaded with steel along Govan Road to the Yard.

Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths.

Going down to Water Row to watch the ferries or jumping on the passenger ferry on the way to the Kelvingrove Museum or the carnival at Kelvin Hall.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 1st Jun 2012, 01:27pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (crawfurd @ 29th Jun 2007, 10:32pm) *
my dad had jacks rolls it went back to 1923 and the vans were red and there were 800 shops the cakes and pies rolls were lovely and i used to play in the bakery attics

Hi Crawfurd. I remember your Dads company well as (if my memory hasnt dimmed) his bakery was in Shaw street next to where my Dad had an radio and tv shop.... or was it down by the ferry ?? but wherever it was I knew you Dad and I think your brothers as well and i further remember being in your dads house which i think may have been in the giffnock / newton mearns area. If I am completely wrong just put it down to the ramblings of an old man

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 14th Jun 2012, 07:42am
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Govan fair 2012

Fablevison has put a slide show of photographs of this year's procession on Flickr.

You can see it here. Govan Fair 2012

There's a video here: Northern Lights

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 14th Jun 2012, 08:19am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 14th Jun 2012, 08:57am) *
Govan fair 2012

Fablevison has put a slide show of photographs of this year's procession on Flickr.

You can see it here. Govan Fair 2012

There's a video here: Northern Lights

Hi Dexter

Is this 2012 govan fair a continuation of the old govan fair i well remember as a boy in the 1950s to 1960's The original fair was often headed by local cycle shop owner Andy Macneil who i think may have rode a penny farthing ??

Regards Doug

--------------------

+Quote Post
enrique
post 15th Jun 2012, 12:32pm
Post #35

Lord Provost
Member No.: 1,842
QUOTE (Hollywood1945 @ 7th Jul 2010, 04:27pm) *
Hi my names Michelle Hollywood. My mum and dad where both brought up in the Govan Area in the 50s and 60s. My mum Veronica Scanlan was from the Whyne Alley and my dad Brian Hollywood was from Neptune St. Did anyone know them by any chance? Id like to find out a wee bit about them.

Also i dont know if this is the right site to come on. Does anyone know which is best?

I remember the Hollywoods the guy was a good fitba player and i think you will find it was the wine alley, although whyne sounds just as good as you could hear a lot of that goin on any Sat night

+Quote Post
enrique
post 15th Jun 2012, 12:37pm
Post #36

Lord Provost
QUOTE (jostto @ 1st Aug 2010, 01:34am) *
[size="4"]Both my parents were brought up in govan around neptune st and married in 1942, Names Watters, probably left govan for pollok in the 1950s. Any info on them would be good, Da was in the shipyards and ma had hunners o weans lol, im the youngest!

I played football with Joe Watters , him and his brothers i think there were 3 all together, played for Harmoney row they came from Govan but moved to Pollok

+Quote Post
enrique
post 15th Jun 2012, 01:03pm
Post #37

Lord Provost
Hi Jim d i am from your part of Govan , i remember the big families , McEvoys and Petersens from Iona Street, i think the Petersens had about 14 , remember Jeans cafe for the peas and vinegar , wee Franks from Kintra street , he sold everything , his son became quite famous in the 60s when he had a fashion shop in Carnaby Street , his second name was Steven, Polinis the chippie , the wash house and steamie at Clynder street, on the down side the wineoes that sat outside the school drinking the liquid off the tops of the silvo and duraglit, had to step over them, good and bad times , used to walk to Bellahouston Park or Elder park nae bother , dont think the kids nowadays would do that

+Quote Post
*eva harris*
post 6th Aug 2012, 03:51pm
Post #38

QUOTE (enrique @ 15th Jun 2012, 02:18pm) *
Hi Jim d i am from your part of Govan , i remember the big families , McEvoys and Petersens from Iona Street, i think the Petersens had about 14 , remember Jeans cafe for the peas and vinegar , wee Franks from Kintra street , he sold everything , his son became quite famous in the 60s when he had a fashion shop in Carnaby Street , his second name was Steven, Polinis the chippie , the wash house and steamie at Clynder street, on the down side the wineoes that sat outside the school drinking the liquid off the tops of the silvo and duraglit, had to step over them, good and bad times , used to walk to Bellahouston Park or Elder park nae bother , dont think the kids nowadays would do that

+Quote Post
*eva harris*
post 6th Aug 2012, 03:54pm
Post #39

Hi,

Does anyone remember the Whitelaws, my mam was Mary born there 1933 the Broomlyn Road, the moved to Drumchapel I think in the 50's.

Love to hear old stories

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Aug 2012, 08:46pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (enrique @ 15th Jun 2012, 02:18pm) *

Hi Enrique. The Steven you refer to was John Steven and he did open a trendy shop in Carnaby Street and from that virtually invented "Carnaby street" Last weekend i was out for dinner with Johns cousin, an lifelong friend of mine from our Govan days and one of the things we talked about was his cousin John

--------------------

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 7th Aug 2012, 09:03pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Ref post#31 Jim D "Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths"

Hi Jim. It's funny to hear you referring to "the Golly" i havent heard that name for a very long time My grandfather lived in Burleigh street. As I recall it was such an odd and quaint little street.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 24th Jan 2013, 07:13pm
Post #42

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
QUOTE (IRENE MALTMAN @ 30th Mar 2012, 07:16am) *
I love this photo. What year was this taken? I attended Harmony Row from 1945 to 1952. Would love to hear more. I attended Govan High from 1952 till 1955 and then went on to join the Celtic Ballet company until moving to California with my parents. Nathaniel and Elizabeth Maltman..... Anybody remember me or the Maltmans or the Fergusons from Govan? unsure.gif

I'm sorry I haven't visited the site for a while. The picture would have been 1962/3 The teacher is miss Underwood who was also my Dad's teacher.

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post
*Guvinboay*
post 25th Jan 2013, 02:40am
Post #43

QUOTE (Doug1 @ 7th Aug 2012, 09:20pm) *
Ref post#31 Jim D "Shopping with my granny in the "Golly" (Burleigh Street) then onto Langland Road and eventually arriving at Woolworths"

Hi Jim. It's funny to hear you referring to "the Golly" i havent heard that name for a very long time My grandfather lived in Burleigh street. As I recall it was such an odd and quaint little street.

I lived near Burliegh St. for years circa 1950s and never heard the word "Golly" to describe it. Do you remember the Govan Mansions between Burliegh st. and Langland rd. Fascinating architecture.
Pictures of said street on Citynoise Govan.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 12th Jun 2013, 07:32pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Community event this Saturday. Outdoor music stage at Cafe 13 (facing wee baby Govan), video, artworks, theatre events in the P.I.
Govan and Craigton Integration Network celebration of Govan's migratory story and shipbuilding heritage. Free event. Saturday 15th June 2013 (afternoon).
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Boydy
post 8th Mar 2014, 08:22pm
Post #45

Super Resident
Member No.: 5,730
Does anyone remember the name of the photographers shop on Govan Road?

--------------------
www.youtube.com/watch?v=m8K8kbtat0I

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.