Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Gorbals
Brenda
post 5th Jun 2004, 05:00am
Post #1

City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,031
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Gorbals

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Gorbals

GG.

Glasgow's rapid growth as an industrial city in the 19th and 20th centuries created a legacy of poor, cramped housing, with frequent bouts of high unemployment. The social problems were probably at their worst in the Gorbals area, just south of the river Clyde. This is where Glasgow got its reputation as "No Mean City" (the title of a book set in 1930s Gorbals) and gang fights with open razors as weapons. After the Second World War, attempts were made to rehouse those in sub-standard tenement blocks by moving them to new estates on the edge of the city - though the sprawling local council estates of Castlemilk, Easterhouse, Pollok and Drumchapel created just as many social problems. In the Gorbals, the old buildings were demolished and new high-rise flats arose in their place - as filing cabinets for people. The old community spirit of the area was thus largely destroyed. In recent years, some of the high-rise blocks have been demolished and rows of modern low-rise flats are being built. Hopefully, this second attempt at regenerating the Gorbals will be more successful. The picture here is of the artwork "Gorbals Guardian" which is located on the edge of the area, amongst some of the new housing.

This post has been edited by GG: 17th Mar 2007, 09:20pm

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 5th Jun 2004, 07:33am
Post #2

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 20
I assume this was quoted from The Guardian?

There seems to be 2 examples of artwork within the image - a mobile, presumably of the "fish that never swam", and a collage or painting. This would be would be amongst the ugliest modern builings I've ever laid eyes on - though I'm unsure as to whether the pink cylinders are meant to be part of the "artwork". Or is the whole thing the artwork, & not a building at all?

+Quote Post
slabrog
post 5th Jun 2004, 08:37pm
Post #3

Visitor
Member No.: 1,152
Lets go back at bit earlier!.The Gorbals was originally a village in the Parish of Govan from which is was disjoined in 1771!.
The village was a anciently serving as an isolation colony for lepers.
It started to grow about 1730 when a colony of weavers and brewers in which is now called Bridgend (now Victoria Bridge)
Formal annexation to the city came in 1846 and for the century the tenements of Gorbals got the reputation for bad housing, drunks,crime and poverty.
Got a few friends who grew up there.
Padraig.

+Quote Post
Luceo
post 5th Jun 2004, 10:50pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 18
New Gorbals is an interesting and thriving community and virtually nothing of the old Gorbals, with the exception of the St Francis Centre, still exists. Much of Basil Spence's architecture of the Sixties has also gone and the housing is now a mix of private flats and town houses with some affordable rental properties owned by the Glasgow Housing Association.

I visited the new Gorbals library last weekend and I was impressed not only by the facilities but by the number of local kids who were using these facilities.

For a potted history of Gorbals and a flavour for part of New Gorbals follow the link:

Gorbals

You will even find an alternative view of Bardau's ugliest building on this site!

Luceo

--------------------
Never give a sword to a man who cannot dance - African Proverb

+Quote Post
thebardau
post 6th Jun 2004, 03:07pm
Post #5

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 20
I'm sorry - I did not mean to sound so unkind. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, after all. I did live for a very short period of time in the Gorbals when VERY young, & I don't remember much about it. But we must have lived elsewhere in Glasgow before that, for I do remember being upset because there were no trams running past! And I seem to remember reading that there was no vehicular traffic allowed in Gorbals. Maybe I'm mistaken on that point though.

+Quote Post
clashman
post 10th Nov 2006, 09:32pm
Post #6

Unpacking
Member No.: 3,991
i lived in the gorbals till i was about 4 ,we left in 1966 to go to live in helensburgh.We stayed in the old tenements on Abbotsford Place opposite the school.My mum and dad were both brought up there.Obviously being so young when we left i only have a few memories of the place.The kids i remember were Andy Macnamara and Charlotte Mcnaught they would probably be about 45ish now.A little indian?kid who went round the doors saying "penny for Henny".(probably a millionaire now).i remember there was a lot of rats around,we used to set the dog(dug!)on them.Also my auntie Gracie had a shop in the gorbals,i remember gettin a bag of crisps off her and my older sister took them off me,so i went back and got another one ,only for my other sister to take it.3rd time she gives me another one,only for my older brother to take them.I go back a 4th time and tell my sob story and she shouts"you must think i was born yesterday ya greedy w
ee bxxxxxd. my mum is in her 70s now and she doesn't keep to well but she,s still nostalgic for the old Gorbals,she left there years ago ,but her heart is still there.Sorry for going on a bit ,hope you dont mind.If anyone remembers anyone ive mentioned or lived there ,put a reply up.We were the Eadie family if that helps.

+Quote Post
lindamac
post 12th Apr 2007, 11:41pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,807
wub.gif biggrin.gif I remember I was 14yrs old & attended a christian rally wherein the minister David Castles frae Tenthall christian church was oan his soapboax telling a sermon & I was 1 of the wee teenagers giving oot gospel tracts to the gathered crowds as well as doorknocking to offer thum tae shush dinny tell anywan am religeous haha

--------------------
Ye Cin Take The Lassie Oota Glesga But Ye Cannae Take Glesga Oota The Lassie

+Quote Post
*Steve Brown*
post 30th Mar 2008, 09:02pm
Post #8

Prior to living in Kinning Park (see entry under good old KP) I lived at 58 Norfolk Street (1966/68), there was a wee shop at the close, buying a bottle of American Cream Soda and a pack chewing gum, dropping one of the said gum into the ginger and ... whoosh! it scooshed everywhere, brill!
Someone has mentioned rats, yep they were as big as cats, but the bu***rs could squeeze into the smallest hole going. I went to Bonnys in the Oaklands, spent more time playing toss a penny there than anything else, the good old days.

+Quote Post
olly12
post 13th Nov 2008, 10:38pm
Post #9

Visitor
Member No.: 6,105
i was born in the gorbals next to camden st school,havegreat memories of my childhood we knew everyone up every close no one was any better than anybody else we were all in the same boat i still think of all my pals and my brothers pals,in fact just before he passedaway we sat together in his hospital bed wondering what had become of all of them he had a terrible sadness in his eyes all he ever spoke about how he loved the old gorbals and the peoplewhd lived thereat that time.

+Quote Post
*liz doyle*
post 20th Feb 2009, 10:44pm
Post #10

Hi yes I was born in the gorbals, Mathieson street, my sister and 2 brothers were born in the house here, both my parents families came from here as well, My da was Ronnie Cairney he was somewhere in the middle of 10 kids, John. george, chrissie,dan, josie, jenny,dougie, patsy and jim, I believe my uncle john run a pub called the granite city, my ma was the youngest of 6, peggy, john, maryann, alec, billy then my ma betty mcdonald. We ended up in castlemilk in fact most of the above endednup there!! I went to St Francis and i think my granny mcdonald lived at 162 mathieson st, my granny cairney was cumberland street,(I think) I'm doing the family tree at the moment and i've uncovered loads of information and I'm thoroughly enjoying all the sites about the gorbals, I only remember that we lived in the close a single end and it was terrible living conditions. thanks

+Quote Post
ny231g25
post 8th Mar 2009, 04:29pm
Post #11

Settling In
Member No.: 6,326
[/font] biggrin.gif [font="Book Antiqua"][size="5"][/size][color="#0000FF"][/color]

here are a few memorys of growing up ww2 glasgow, in the 1940s I remember being taken to the underground shelter at "grants whisky bond" at the bottom of warrwick street, also the one at the"co-op" in gorbals street, we lived in warwick street,just before bedford street. as kids we played in the bomb shelters that were built in the middle of the street and the back courts. we also sometimes took shelter in the house on the ground floor during an air raid. the family still had gas light, real spooky.
8th.mch.09.
4.06pm.g.m.t.

+Quote Post
martin_glasgow
post 2nd Sep 2009, 01:39pm
Post #12

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,297
Attached Image

Gorbals....Air raid shelters..In middle of the street,Dont know if they were in use at this time or had already been bricked up.....

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 14th Sep 2009, 10:46am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
this is another part o glesga dear tae mah heart ,got ah wee hoose there when ah first got merrit lived at 286 lawmoor street qite ah few years . i was called up fer national service while stayin there always remember comin hame on leave ,crossin ower the bridge an headin towards ma hoose turnin intae ah street an you coodnae get up it cos aw o the rubble fae the hooses gettin demolished . ma wifes wee maw had ah fruit shop at wan time ,an mah faitherinlaw ran ah fruit van up in polloc there wisnae many shops there at the time he made ah fortune . ps mah 4 kids were aw born in the gorbals ,efter 5 years livin there ah got ah 3 room an kitchen ,livin room ,an inside toilet , man it wis heaven ,garden fer the kids tae play in made ah great difference tae oor wie o life kids seemed tae thrive in this great chinge o enviroment still in the same hoose 50 years later .

+Quote Post
doc4655
post 20th Oct 2009, 10:33am
Post #14

Settling In
Member No.: 7,589
What memories!! - grandparents lived in Surrey St in mid 50's - my parents in hospital St - into late 60's. Rembember the little chemist shop under the bridge (opp the Granite Bar). the owner was very nice and we use to spend a lot of time in there. Use to walk down gorbals st into town - it was so safe then! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
queenie
post 23rd Dec 2009, 03:29am
Post #15

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,882
QUOTE (liz doyle @ 20th Feb 2009, 10:42pm) *
Hi yes I was born in the gorbals, Mathieson street, my sister and 2 brothers were born in the house here, both my parents families came from here as well, My da was Ronnie Cairney he was somewhere in the middle of 10 kids, John. george, chrissie,dan, josie, jenny,dougie, patsy and jim, I believe my uncle john run a pub called the granite city, my ma was the youngest of 6, peggy, john, maryann, alec, billy then my ma betty mcdonald. We ended up in castlemilk in fact most of the above endednup there!! I went to St Francis and i think my granny mcdonald lived at 162 mathieson st, my granny cairney was cumberland street,(I think) I'm doing the family tree at the moment and i've uncovered loads of information and I'm thoroughly enjoying all the sites about the gorbals, I only remember that we lived in the close a single end and it was terrible living conditions. thanks

hi liz,
it's christine, yr uncle dougi's daughter, just found this site and saw yr post, knew u were talking about my dad's family. be great to get in touch with u, i'm coming home to castlemilk on the 27th but don't have a fone no. or address for u so hopefully you'll see this and maybe get in touch. still in stravanan and think the numbers in the phone book, so call me if u can. christine xx

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.