Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Garthamlock
petunia
post 15th Apr 2015, 02:25pm
Post #31

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 6,822
QUOTE (Daniel ferguson @ 15th Apr 2015, 12:24pm) *
I lived in Garthamlock from around 1960 till 1967 when we emigrated to Australia. I am writing a story of my childhood for my children. I lived with mum, dad and 6 brothers and sisters. Went to primary and high school before emigrating. Anyone remember the Fergusons?

I remember Margaret Ferguson who was in my class at Craigend
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 5th Aug 2015, 08:03pm
Post #32

QUOTE (petunia @ 15th Apr 2015, 02:33pm) *

I remember Helen Ferguson who was in my class at Craigend primary about 1962.

+Quote Post
*douglas millar*
post 23rd Nov 2015, 10:05pm
Post #33

QUOTE (Daniel ferguson @ 15th Apr 2015, 11:15am) *
I lived in Garthamlock from around 1960 till 1967 when we emigrated to Australia. I am writing a story of my childhood for my children. I lived with mum, dad and 6 brothers and sisters. Went to primary and high school before emigrating. Anyone remember the Fergusons?

Hi i remember you lol you had a milk round and used to fall asleep in the class / was always getting the belt , i am in oz also , in the Kimberly for the last 25 yrs Doug Millar (ruchazie boy).

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 1st Dec 2015, 10:30am
Post #34

QUOTE (douglas millar @ 23rd Nov 2015, 10:13pm) *
Hi i remember you lol you had a milk round and used to fall asleep in the class / was always getting the belt , i am in oz also , in the Kimberly for the last 25 yrs Doug Millar (ruchazie boy).

Jees! whit wur yea daeing in the Kimberly fur 25 years. Yee don't huvtae dodge the draft any mair it ended in 1975!!!

+Quote Post
*doug millar*
post 9th Dec 2015, 09:49pm
Post #35

QUOTE (Billy Boil @ 1st Dec 2015, 10:38am) *
Jees! whit wur yea daeing in the Kimberly fur 25 years. Yee don't huvtae dodge the draft any mair it ended in 1975!!!

Chasing gold! laugh.gif

+Quote Post
*Paul Ferguson*
post 25th Dec 2015, 11:31pm
Post #36

QUOTE (Daniel ferguson @ 15th Apr 2015, 11:15am) *

Hi all, I am following up for my brother Danny Ferguson who sadly passed away a month after he wrote his blog above. We lived at 45 Tillycairn Road top level. I remember Billy White, Eddie Adams and Elizabeth Milligan. Not sure if anyone remembers those names. We went to Craigend Primary and I remember one teacher Mrs Walkingtosh. I am going to try and finish his book for him.

+Quote Post
*annie mac*
post 4th Feb 2016, 12:50pm
Post #37

QUOTE (Mc.Groarty @ 31st Mar 2009, 08:17pm) *
We lived at No. 62 Binns Road for many a year!!

My mun and dad and auntie lived 5 Binns Road before Guildford Street then Porchie. My Dad was Harry Nelson flew pigeons behind the wee annexe my auntie was Margaret Walker my cousin died at 18 months when they lived there nearly 40 yrs ago.

+Quote Post
*annie mac*
post 4th Feb 2016, 12:51pm
Post #38

QUOTE (petunia @ 15th Apr 2015, 02:33pm) *

Is it William Fergusson? wife Betty son Charles Robert William daughters Ellen Christine Marion Cathy? My Aunt Marion`s daughter was Margaret she`s late 40`s maybe 50 now.

+Quote Post
*stephen gallacher*
post 2nd May 2016, 10:11pm
Post #39

Hello there chinas. I stayed at 12 Porchester Street from 1960-1976, then the family emigrated tae Hamilton, South Lanarkshire, great place to grow up. Many fond memories it did get a wee bit mental in the latter years but hay-ho.

+Quote Post
matman
post 7th Jul 2016, 01:47pm
Post #40

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,012
Hi what a wonderful site this is, I just stumbled across it while browsing for pics or stories about old Glasgow. I'm not sure how this works, should I reply or post in`new topic`? Anyway heres my two bobs worth.
My name is Matt Duffy, my family moved from The Gallowgate to a `brand new house` in Gartharmlock in the early fifties (I WAS ABOUT EIGHT OR NINE) before emigrating to Australia in Dec 1955.
Mum and Dad were Matt and Betty Duffy, with three sons, myself, Edward and John, and one sister Lisbeth.
We lived in Binns Rd. Not positive but possibly No 17. My brother John and I went to school nearby, cant remember the name. I do remember walking down the hill and catching the school bus.
Where we lived was in one of the houses at the top of Binns Rd, we were in what I remember as a `House` on the left - two stories - one `house` below one above. I might not be correct on this, thats just how I remember it,
Across the road were different style of houses, I just remember them as single story (bungalows?) with lovely little window panes.
At the top of the road were big fields where us kids used to jump the stone wall and `pick` potatoes while keeping an eye out for the farmer
I remember coming home from school each day and watching The Cisco Kid on TV. It was strange later when arriving in Queensland to find they didn't have TV yet.
My parents had the second TV in the area when it did arrive, my pals family had the first, his dad worked at the TV station. we watched the test pattern for months before programs went to air... haha.
If anyone has pictures of Binns rd in the fifties it would be wonderful to see them to compare with my memories which are foggy...... It was a long time ago.
I can be contacted on weematt@bigpond.com
ps I just remembered my dad had a big black wolesly car. I think he still worked in his cobblers shop in Parkhead Cross.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 7th Jul 2016, 02:19pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
Welcome matman just do your own thing post in the topics of your choice or even better join in the free for all thumbup.gif

+Quote Post
Mgmartin
post 10th Aug 2016, 10:43am
Post #42

Unpacking
Member No.: 33,072
QUOTE (matman @ 7th Jul 2016, 02:47pm) *
Hi what a wonderful site this is, I just stumbled across it while browsing for pics or stories about old Glasgow. I'm not sure how this works, should I reply or post in`new topic`? Anyway heres my two bobs worth.
My name is Matt Duffy, my family moved from The Gallowgate to a `brand new house` in Gartharmlock in the early fifties (I WAS ABOUT EIGHT OR NINE) before emigrating to Australia in Dec 1955.
Mum and Dad were Matt and Betty Duffy, with three sons, myself, Edward and John, and one sister Lisbeth.
We lived in Binns Rd. Not positive but possibly No 17. My brother John and I went to school nearby, cant remember the name. I do remember walking down the hill and catching the school bus.
Where we lived was in one of the houses at the top of Binns Rd, we were in what I remember as a `House` on the left - two stories - one `house` below one above. I might not be correct on this, thats just how I remember it,
Across the road were different style of houses, I just remember them as single story (bungalows?) with lovely little window panes.
At the top of the road were big fields where us kids used to jump the stone wall and `pick` potatoes while keeping an eye out for the farmer
I remember coming home from school each day and watching The Cisco Kid on TV. It was strange later when arriving in Queensland to find they didn't have TV yet.
My parents had the second TV in the area when it did arrive, my pals family had the first, his dad worked at the TV station. we watched the test pattern for months before programs went to air... haha.
If anyone has pictures of Binns rd in the fifties it would be wonderful to see them to compare with my memories which are foggy...... It was a long time ago.
I can be contacted on weematt@bigpond.com
ps I just remembered my dad had a big black wolesly car. I think he still worked in his cobblers shop in Parkhead Cross.

hi mat man ,,I moved to 38 binns rd in garthamlock in 1954 pavement were not even laid we were the first in the house all new thought it was massive i was there untill i got married in 69 my mum moved over o craigend in 78,, i don't remember any bungalows you were talking about ,, tottie field and turnips round about,,,you house would have looked on to 5 apartments fields at the top.

+Quote Post
*Dianne Graham*
post 8th Nov 2016, 10:43pm
Post #43

Hi, I lived in Coxton place from '74 until '90. Then we moved to Craigend. My surname was McConville. My brother is David. My granny and grandad McConville lived in Gartlock Road until early 80's then moved to Craigend. My cousins are the Snell's. Hello to anyone who remembers me or my family. I have really fond memories of gar-t. We where always outside playing. Loads of weans running about. We never always had a lot. But we never went without and where happy. And from what I can remember most of the families round about where the same.

+Quote Post
**Stephen**
post 21st May 2017, 11:25am
Post #44

My mother was a teacher in a primary school for a few years in Garthamlock in the mid sixties. She had 75 kids in the class, but she said there was no carry on or bad behaviour. Times tables were taught by rote and she said all the kids knew the times tables from an early age. The whole class would chant them out at the same time. Whilst she has fond memories, she does remember a lot of deprivation and poverty. She was known as Miss Holmes then.

+Quote Post
*Peter Marshall*
post 21st May 2017, 11:25am
Post #45

QUOTE (Dianne Graham @ 8th Nov 2016, 10:43pm) *
Hi, I lived in Coxton place from '74 until '90. Then we moved to Craigend. My surname was McConville. My brother is David. My granny and grandad McConville lived in Gartlock Road until early 80's then moved to Craigend. My cousins are the Snell's. Hello to anyone who remembers me or my family. I have really fond memories of gar-t. We where always outside playing. Loads of weans running about. We never always had a lot. But we never went without and where happy. And from what I can remember most of the families round about where the same.

I lived in 37 Coxton Place.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.