Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Finnieston
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 05:29pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Finnieston

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Finnieston

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
marionq
post 5th Nov 2010, 11:26am
Post #2

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,476
I was born in Breadalbane St Finnieston in 1944. My widowed mother, brother and myself lived in a room and kitchen with inside toilet and bath night was at Cranstonhill Baths where eventually my mother took a job as the shifts helped her with me while I was at primary school. Finnieston was full of life from the shipyards lining the Clyde with hundreds and hundreds of men running up Ellliott St at the start of the day and even faster at night to get home or to the pub. My brother Hamish Fleming was an engineer with Harland and Wolffs and every boy I knew worked in something related to the yards. My Dad was a docker and was killed in an accident at Queen's Dock.

My young life was happy and contented due mostly to a great mother and good extended family and to a lesser extent all the good people I encountered as school teachers and helpers in brownies, guides, YWCA and the host of other clubs which were commonplace in the city in the forties and fifties. After Kent Road primary I went like my brother and older sister Cathie Fleming to Woodside School which I loved. The walk through the park to school was wonderful rain and shine.

My favourite place was MacIntyre St Library off Argyle St and next to that Kelvingrove Park and the Art Galleries which was our social meeting place on a Sunday. I went regularly to the theatres, the Empire, King's and Alhambra which ran the Five Past Eight shows. Mum and I went to the Kelvin Picture house on a Friday night if we had any spare money which was not a given!

My mother made all my clothes as there was not much to be had post war and we couldn't have afforded what there was. I am going to try and upload a photo of some of us kids down the back court taken by a street photographer who must have been desperate to make a few bob. I am on the right middle rown with a cross marked (vain child). The other is of me at 17 modelling my mother's latest creation for me. Standing there with elbow length white gloves to match my purple and lilac dress in the kitchen of our tenement - what brio! I like to think I was off to the dancing in it at the Majestic but I can't actually remember.

Marion Fleming

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
Dexter St. Clair
post 7th Nov 2010, 09:33am
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,715
Brilliant photograph, Marion. the height of sophistication and thankfully you posed beside the Display cabinet.

I still bear a scar from when my aunt decided to use me as a jiving partner and missed my hand on the birl which meant I went head first through a glass panel in my granny's cabinet.

Any other photos of display cabinets from other contributors? Could be a new thread.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 7th Nov 2010, 08:47pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
Hi marion when we first came tae glesga in 46 we steyed at 22 lancefield guay oor room looked doon on the two ferrys there the passenger wan an the wan fer horses an carts an motors auld davy wis the polis who stood there keeping order wie the transport that waited tae use the big ferry ,he wis a bit o a lad wis davy liked a wee whisky on a cauld winters day also liked a flutter which wis illegal in those days legend had it on his final day afore retirement he ran the poor bloomin bookie in .

My dad had an auntie jessie who lived in elliot street we cawed her auntie jessie tae ,she wis a kind auld soul a right wee lady we went tae her hoose wance a week and there wis always a wee treat laid on fer the 4 o us .

Went tae St Patricks school in bishop ST there wis an auld heilin teacher there Miss Mcguinnes who adopted me spent extra time wie me cos the schoolin i had had in Inverary wis a bit ahind the level weans o my ain age in glesga had.P.s ye wis a bonnie wee lassie hen .

+Quote Post
marionq
post 12th Nov 2010, 11:39am
Post #5

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,476
Thought some of you might like this photo of my granny Mary Morrison Fleming having a "hing" from her kitchen window at 853 Argyle Street. Granny was a Highland girl from Sutherland who came down to Glasgow around 1910 with her husband and two children. She remained in every sense a Highlander, fluent Gaelic speaker, excessively polite and correct, non smoker, non drinker, proud of her family to a ridiculous extent. Even with all that she loved Glasgow overlooking its filth (and it was filthy before the Clean Air Act in the 60's) and all its problems.

She would have been highly amused watching all the goings on from the window and especially looking out for my other granny Kate who was her direct opposite but sufficiently entertaining to be welcome for a cup of tea.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
Melody
post 12th Nov 2010, 12:05pm
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Thanks for posting that photograph of your gran Marionq. What a wonderful generation they were and derserving of so much better living conditions than they had. Still they made the best of it and were a lesson to us all.

+Quote Post
*stewart davis*
post 9th Aug 2012, 06:50pm
Post #7

Just been looking at the posts about Finnieston. I grew up in Kent Road in the late fifties early sixties. I stayed at no 169, which was on the corner opposite Kent Road School, which I attended until 1964, when our family were lucky enough to be offered a house in Cumbernauld. I remember most of the folk who stayed in our close, even after nearly fifty years.Ground floor, the Beatons, 1st floor, old Mr Galbraith, a woman called Maureen, and our family the Davis's. 2nd floor was the Rockhead family and the Mc Manus family, not sure if there was a third flat on that floor, Top floor was the Trainor family, the Scott family, and the Hessan family. I have lots of happy memories of playing in the "brokie" a piece of waste ground, which was used as a lorry park and on Friday nights we used to play on top of the lorries, probably not allowed now a days on grounds of health and safety, but it never did us any harm. My teacher at Kent Road was Miss Mc Court, and I thought she was great. Our flat was above John the Barbers shop, and I would very much like to obtain a photo if anyone happens to have one.

+Quote Post
PHC
post 14th Aug 2012, 12:51pm
Post #8

Settling In
Member No.: 13,255
Ma da was the manager of The Breadalbane Arms for a while in the 50s. Don't suppose anybody has any memories of that place?

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 29th Jul 2017, 06:20pm
Post #9

QUOTE (stewart davis @ 9th Aug 2012, 06:50pm) *
Just been looking at the posts about Finnieston. I grew up in Kent Road in the late fifties early sixties. I stayed at no 169, which was on the corner opposite Kent Road School, which I attended until 1964, when our family were lucky enough to be offered a house in Cumbernauld. I remember most of the folk who stayed in our close, even after nearly fifty years.Ground floor, the Beatons, 1st floor, old Mr Galbraith, a woman called Maureen, and our family the Davis's. 2nd floor was the Rockhead family and the Mc Manus family, not sure if there was a third flat on that floor, Top floor was the Trainor family, the Scott family, and the Hessan family. I have lots of happy memories of playing in the "brokie" a piece of waste ground, which was used as a lorry park and on Friday nights we used to play on top of the lorries, probably not allowed now a days on grounds of health and safety, but it never did us any harm. My teacher at Kent Road was Miss Mc Court, and I thought she was great. Our flat was above John the Barbers shop, and I would very much like to obtain a photo if anyone happens to have one.

+Quote Post

Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.