Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dennistoun
*Guest Wee Mags **
post 19th Aug 2007, 12:15am
Post #16

I lived at 492 Duke Street which is right across from Meadowpark Street at Cumbernauld Road . I grew up there and went to Thompson Street Primary School. I lived in Dennistoun from 1955-1976. It was not a fancy neighborhood but I think we were content.
We didn't have hot water, or a bath. We would go to the Whitevale Baths on a Saturday morning for a hot bath. The wumman would measure out the water for you using a big key, in case you used too much hot water.
I was with my mummy doing the messages right at the corner of Whitehill Street when we heard the news that JFK had been shot.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frankd2
post 20th Feb 2008, 02:15pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 5,377
Although I was born in Glasgow I spent the first 5 years of my life in Inverness-shire but our family returned to Dennistoun in 1940.
We lived in Crinan Street and although it was wartime my childhood was a very happy one.
Like Jim Wilson from New Zealand Many happy days were spent in Alexandra Park.
A half hour on the Paddle Boats was a joy.
In those days one was in fear of the "Parky" and one certainly "kept of the grass".
Changed days nowadays.
I must admit to a wee bit of criminal activity as my pals and I used to wait at the bottom of the hill on the golf course and whenever a ball appeared we would take it and go to the first hole and sell it to another golfer.
THIS HAS BEEN ON MY CONSCIENCE FOR MANY YEARS!
Later as teenagers we would spend our pocket money either at the cinemas or in the local cafes where "Juke Boxes" were the new craze.
Happy days indeed and I wish,at 74 years of age,I was able to chat to any of my old pals but sadly I fear that they have passed away.

+Quote Post
Waverley
post 21st Feb 2008, 08:38pm
Post #18

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,832
Hi Frank we meet again, never give up hope as I was dumfounded when I got a message from Friends Reunited UK after searching for 46 years and there was one of my old mates and since writing to him I have found out that all my mates are still living and we are all in our 70s
Two of them have been in touch and I hope to hear from the rest, God willing I will certainly try and get back to visit them.
Regards James

+Quote Post
frankd2
post 22nd Feb 2008, 01:35pm
Post #19

Visitor
Member No.: 5,377
Hello Jim,
Lovely to hear from you again. I am pleased to hear that you have been in contact with old pals from yesteryear.
On a Dennistoun site I put on information hoping that I would hear from any of my old friends but sad to say 2 of my pals had died the year prior to my posting.
I live in hope.
By the way it is nice that you are conversing with me a childhood golf ball snatcher!
I still have my sense of humour! biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
Waverley
post 23rd Feb 2008, 06:44pm
Post #20

Super Resident
Member No.: 4,832
Hi Frank
Where would we be without a sense of humour I think a lot of the young ones haven't even discovered it yet.
I received a large posting from Ardrossan library yesterday about my family a great result and they are also able to go back another 2 generations . So I will be busy entering the info I"ve just received.
Did you get your picture of the bandstand in the park?

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 4th Mar 2008, 03:01am
Post #21

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
In 1942, I was born at 67 Ballindalloch Drive, Dennistoun, along with several other cousins around that era. My granny - Isabella Walker, lived there for many years prior to this and up until she died in 1975. She had three daughters, Lizzie (my mother), Isa, Annie and Charlotte, and three sons, Robert, Freddy and George. Charlotte died young in 1947 after giving birth to her first child, a daughter called Anne. Anne was brought up by my granny, helped out by our mam and the other aunties. Robert and Rene (his wife) lived at No.67 with granny from the early sixties until the 80's (I think). Sadly, Freddy and George are the only ones of my granny's children still alive

In the photograph, taken outside No.67, Granny Walker is second on the right at the front. Robert is second from the left at the back, Freddy is 4th from the left and Annie is on the right holding one of my cousins (George). Maybe someone remembers the Walkers and it would be great to hear from them.

During and just after WW2, our mam and her three sisters all went back to Granny Walker's to give birth to their babies. My family were living at that time in Maryhill. My sisters and I visited Granny up until we left Glasgow to emigrate to New Zealand between 1959 and 1963. I have memories of a wee burn near Ballindalloch Drive where we used to play, also going for walks to Alexandra Park. It's great to have this topic - I have posted messages before about Maryhill but this is the first about Dennistoun.

All the best from down under.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
mayaustralia
post 5th Mar 2008, 08:47am
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,460
hi everybody Im may mc donald and i was born in bluevale street dennistoun.

+Quote Post
valleyboy38
post 5th Mar 2008, 03:24pm
Post #23

Lord Provost
Member No.: 219
Welcome to the board May somebody will know you im sure its a wee world in here

+Quote Post
*Marj*
post 7th Mar 2008, 08:50pm
Post #24

Does anyone remember a Mackintosh family living in Duke St between the 1920s-40s? Catherine and Angus?

Old Angus was paralysed from the war.

+Quote Post
Isobel
post 6th Jun 2008, 01:54am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 33
Anyone remember the McCloskeys from 27 Viewpark Ave Left there in 1953 to move to Ruchazie

--------------------
From Glasgow now in Canada

+Quote Post
Dave Todd
post 9th Aug 2008, 10:17pm
Post #26

Unpacking
Member No.: 5,937
Hi folks - I lived at 293 Onslow Dr and went to Ali Parade from 1960-66. I remember 'rakin the midgies' , Climbin' the dykes and making gang huts in the air raid shelters in the back green with my pals - Jimmy & Gordon Thomson, Gordon Bryce , Stewart McIndoe and the Lupi's ( Mario and Carlo in Cumbenauld road) where are you all now ?

Now living in Cotswolds -

+Quote Post
*Guest auchinairnboy **
post 10th Aug 2008, 06:10am
Post #27

My dad went to Onslow Drive school. He was at Thompson Street primary. He lived at 46 Ballindalloch Drive, having moved from 123 Sword Street. He was in the Boys Brigade (108 or 112?) when they still paraded with rifles (early 20s).

+Quote Post
maggs
post 10th Aug 2008, 02:20pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,938
I came from Maryhill,but used to go to the Palais,but my haunt was the Barrowland on a Friday night.If you went before 9-30 you got in for 2bob. laugh.gif

--------------------
maggs

+Quote Post
*kathleenmcaleer*
post 8th Nov 2008, 08:27pm
Post #29

The Dennistoun Palais closed as a dance hall but became the Rollarena in late 1965. It became just as popuar as the dancing. I met my husband Danny there on 6/1/1966. His family lived in Reidvale Street and his mum had a wee Shop called "Nora's." Does anyone remember the McAleer's ? We now live in Melbourne but get back "home" every few years.

+Quote Post
Marie Mclean (Mc...
post 22nd Mar 2009, 12:19pm
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,687
QUOTE (kathleenmcaleer @ 8th Nov 2008, 08:14pm) *
The Dennistoun Palais closed as a dance hall but became the Rollarena in late 1965. It became just as popuar as the dancing. I met my husband Danny there on 6/1/1966. His family lived in Reidvale Street and his mum had a wee Shop called "Nora's." Does anyone remember the McAleer's ? We now live in Melbourne but get back "home" every few years.

OMG! I had forgotten about the rollerina. I learned to rollerskate there. It was like a sort of roller disco where we used to go and chase the lads, (while looking like we didn't notice them of course.) We also enjoyed swimming at the Whitevale swimming baths. I remember there was two pools. One Male and one female. I think they turned the rollerina into a supermarket.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.