Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cowcaddens
**Annie**
post 13th Apr 2016, 08:46pm
Post #436

Hi my mum lived in Edington Street which I understand was a play street in Cowcaddens. She lived in the tenements there. Does anyone have any photos of that street ?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Helen Ringrose*
post 10th Jul 2016, 07:30pm
Post #437

I lived at 53 Wemyss Street with my gran Helen Aitken until she died 1947 then went to live in Stow Street apparently it was an empty building and our neighbours and us were "squatters". I remember going to the garage at the top of the street for paraffin for our lamp. There was an arcade with shops at the top of the streets that took you through to Renfrew Street I think and the back end of Marks and Spencers.

+Quote Post
**elizabeth**
post 11th Apr 2017, 04:03am
Post #438

QUOTE (Heather @ 28th Sep 2010, 09:35pm) *
Charlotte, Gracie Fanning did not go to St. Josephs she was not Catholic, she went to a school at the top of Dobbies Loan.
I remember when we had a Holy Day of Obligation, some of us would walk Gracie and Gina McMurdie back to school after dinner time.

I have a vague memory of Costello's living in our close in Sawfield Place and remember the names she mentioned.

My family were the Currans and we lived on the 1st floor right above the close and next door to the Sweeny's

+Quote Post
margie
post 13th Apr 2017, 11:09am
Post #439

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
Hi does anyone remember if Gizzies Cafe was in Garscube road? cheers Margie.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 13th Apr 2017, 01:15pm
Post #440

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Margie Gizzies was on the Garscube Road, just around the corner from Burnside Street. Spent many happy times in there .

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
margie
post 19th Apr 2017, 06:42am
Post #441

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,901
DannyH, I remember going in there a few times in the early sixties. cheers Margie.

+Quote Post
sandreas
post 6th May 2017, 02:37pm
Post #442

Unpacking
Member No.: 40,479
QUOTE (anne.munro @ 3rd Sep 2010, 05:27pm) *
Hello all from Cowcaddens,
We lived at Burnside Buildings, surrounded by family. they attended St Josephs' school. My mother Nan Masterson & her friend Susan worked in Gizzis cafe in the 1950's, Mum often spoke very fondly of Mrs Gizzi & how popular the Ice cream was. She would have loved this site & all the memories, Mum married my Dad Jack Munro, he worked at Glasgow Locarno, & her friend Susan married Billy Mc Leish, he later became the Manager of the Locarno

hi, I heard my mum talk of nan masterson...we lived in burnside buildings., middle close....also single end in the next close...DONNELLY..( granda.....GORMAN stayed in 18 burnside st).from 1947-1964.

+Quote Post
**Peggy**
post 8th May 2017, 06:42pm
Post #443

I am looking to locate Ventre family members that might still live in the Glasgow area. I saw a post from 2010 talking about Laurie Ventre.

+Quote Post
**sandreas**
post 17th May 2017, 09:28pm
Post #444

QUOTE (anne.munro @ 3rd Sep 2010, 04:27pm) *
Hello all from Cowcaddens,
We lived at Burnside Buildings, surrounded by family. they attended St Josephs' school. My mother Nan Masterson & her friend Susan worked in Gizzis cafe in the 1950's, Mum often spoke very fondly of Mrs Gizzi & how popular the Ice cream was. She would have loved this site & all the memories, Mum married my Dad Jack Munro, he worked at Glasgow Locarno, & her friend Susan married Billy Mc Leish, he later became the Manager of the Locarno

I remember my ma talking about nan masterson...we lived in burnside buildings..Donnelly.

+Quote Post
sandreas
post 6th Jul 2017, 11:14am
Post #445

Unpacking
Member No.: 40,479
QUOTE (barbara mcdonagh @ 10th Dec 2011, 01:07am) *
taken from an old glasgow times Grove St in the 1960's

I'm sure that's my older brother jim....never went anywhere without that wee horse...we stayed in burnside bldgs.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 14th Sep 2017, 10:46pm
Post #446

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (robertpaterson @ 4th Nov 2013, 05:52pm) *
Hello - This is my first post on this forum that I've been really enjoying. My dad was born in 1907 in Hopehill Road, the son of Agnes Soutar. Agnes married John Paterson in 1910 and my dad became Peter Soutar Paterson. He emigrated to Canada in 1924 on the "Carmania". At that time, his family lived in 460 Garscube Road. I have been trying to determine exactly where that was located. I'm assuming it was close to the "Round Toll" but can't seem to figure out just where. It was on the side of Oakbank Street and, judging by the post of Danny Harris, pretty close to there. Any help would be appreciated. This website has brought me closer to the family I never knew.

I was just browsing through this topic, when I came across Robert Paterson's post. I may have mentioned in another subsequent post, that Robert and I met up. He came over to Scotland, and I was able to take him to the exact spot he was looking for.

We spent a most enjoyable day together, including a visit Loch Lomond. If I have already mentioned this elsewhere on the website, apologies to all.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 15th Sep 2017, 09:44pm
Post #447

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
That is the beauty of this web site Danny, the "head" side of the coin as it were. I became friends with a member here who lives in Michigan. Her father was a prisoner of war with the Italians and as it looked like the game was nearly over they let their POWs go rather than get caught with them, The escapees managed to get into Switzerland and some were looked after in different areas by locals and one or two were hidden in a convent of sorts.
I went down into the area where our friend's father was looked after but after a long search and a visit to the local Town Hall and grave yards etc.. I was drawing one blank after an other ... then I managed to find out about a really old, but ill, priest and came sooo close to meeting up with him but that also fell through.
An exciting day involving my Mercedes overhearing on the Swiss motorway and Swiss Police first being helpful then telling me that if I was still there when they came back tongue.gif ,,,
.. and still overheating on all the country roads on the way backhome to Germany and my passenger and helper not hving a good time of it at all (me having to drive rather risky to keep from stalling) but she survived the trip ... and so did my lady helper (Mary's best mate) biggrin.gif

Our member was ever so grateful for my attempts which; although bearing no fruit to help her with more of her dad's history, still at least produced some pictures of the area where he'd been and the "Nunnery", which was by this time a young ladies hostel, but nothing of the Swiss family who helped him.

But that is the essence of GG ... helping each other where we can. wink.gif

The member is still a good friend who sends me pictures of her grandchildren when she has them all together with their gran. thumbup.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post

30 Pages V  « < 28 29 30
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.