Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cowcaddens
poppygirl
post 16th Jun 2006, 06:45pm
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 3,454
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Cowcaddens

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Cowcaddens

GG.

Anyone remember the old Coocaddens. I went to the Normal School and lived in Wemyss Street. Alas no longer there. Those were the good old bad old days.

This post has been edited by GG: 17th Mar 2007, 09:24pm
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jock
post 16th Jun 2006, 11:07pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
What was the name of the movie house in Cowcaddens and is it still there? I went there the day I left Glasgow.

+Quote Post
lizeeloo
post 16th Jun 2006, 11:58pm
Post #3

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,209
Welcome poppygirl...

My first job was in the counting house ( fancy name for office) of Dallas's just opposite the subway...way back in the late forties...probably before your time.
I do remember a bakery called Dalziel's where I would buy cream cookies (buns with heavenly cream inside) and a sweetie shop right next to Dallas's.
Guess that is all demolished now. smile.gif

--------------------
lizee

+Quote Post
Elma
post 17th Jun 2006, 12:45am
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
I worked at Stow College of Engineering in Shamrock Street. I think one of our annexes was in the old Normal School - in Dundas Street? The other annexes were the Dobbies Loan school and a building in West Graham Street at St. Georges Road. I think the College is still there but all the surrounding buildings seems to be gone.

I worked there from 1953 to 59.

This post has been edited by ems: 17th Jun 2006, 02:53am

+Quote Post
George Muir
post 17th Jun 2006, 01:33am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 53
I went to the Stow College of Printing in the 50s, just round the corner from STV studios. Would that be New City Road or maybe Cowcaddens Street? Anyway it was a real old building right across the road from Milton Street. My father went to the same school when it was a primary school.
Jock I've been in that movie hall also, but can't remember the name either.

+Quote Post
jock
post 17th Jun 2006, 06:21am
Post #6

Mega City Key Holder
I remember Shamrock street, Dalziels bakery and the subway. I think the movie house was close to the subway entrance.......just can't remember its name. I assume the subway access is still there!

+Quote Post
kmacc
post 17th Jun 2006, 06:28am
Post #7

Resident
Member No.: 185
the Grand picture house was across from the subway and next to dallas`s

+Quote Post
poppygirl
post 17th Jun 2006, 08:54am
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 3,454
The Grand Picture House was in Cowcaddens and the Cambridge Picture House was in New City Road biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
jock
post 17th Jun 2006, 10:03pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Thanks kmacc and poppygirl. The "Grand" was the picture house I couldnae remember. Problem solved!

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 19th Jun 2006, 09:04pm
Post #10

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
As a child, my mum would take us to Lewis's in Argyle Street. We lived in Milton and, I think, must have taken the bus to Cowcaddens and got the subway (tube, underground, metro?) to St Enochs. I was always petrified and would cling onto my mum as those trains approached the narrow platforms. I always thought they were really weird. I hated being on the little trains and I hated the smell of the whole station/set up. I have never experienced anything like that since, thankfully.

sd

+Quote Post
stuarty
post 20th Jun 2006, 07:23pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,972
my ma won a lot of money at the palace in the gorbals and she bought a really nice dress from dallases and a was saving for a spanish doll and it was 29and 11pence old money and the dress my ma got was 21guineas so she got the dress and a got my doll and a had a big birthday party a was 9 or 10 a cant remember then my ma had her party at night as a was born on 28th and she was27july and a was always traipsed up charing cross then up garcube road to visit my aunty and my grannie in ceader place and ceader road what a life mind a remember the itallies icre laugh.gif am next to the metrapole a loved it memories

--------------------
gie me a wee minite

+Quote Post
frankbuntain
post 21st Jun 2006, 08:28pm
Post #12

Settling In
Member No.: 3,412
My pal worked in Dallases in the 60's when it burned down. She told me the fire was coming up through the floor before she got out. She worked in the finance office. I worked in West Nile St in W.B. Woollies Shipping and Forwarding(United States Lines). I worked there from 1966-1969 when I got married. Anybody else work in shipping in the sixties. I delivered bills of lading around the shipping offices as an office junior and then was promoted to junior shorthand typist.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 22nd Jun 2006, 01:17pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I originally came from the Cowcaddens, we lived just off Garscube Rd. and well remember Dallass's, it was right beside the Grand cinema
I liked the smell of the underground, and we used to travel on it to St. Enoch when going to Arglye St.

We used to go to Dallass's to see Santa at Christmas, and children were not allowed in without and adult. Sometimes when we had nothing better to do, we would go to Dallass's and wait until the doorman moved away, then we would slip in to wander around. If we got caught, we always said mum was some where around doing some shopping.

Lyon St, Raglan St, Cedar St, Sawmillfield St, and Caithness St. were all further up from us. Then at the Round Toll there was the Astoria cinema.
Griffins the pub was the corner of Garscube Rd and Sawfield Place. There were always fights outside the pub on a Saturday night when the pub closed.

The Endrick cinema was in Sawfield Place.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 27th Jun 2006, 07:50pm
Post #14

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
I loved living in the Cowcaddens area the people were all friendly even after the fights outside the pubs on the Garscube Rd on Saturday. If they didnt settle it that night most meet up at the basin on the canal bank on Sunday and had it out. Then most of them would shake hands then went to the hotel or sheeben and had a drink together.
You never needed to worry about the young ones as everybody watched kids and made sure they were safe oh for those days again.
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
vinnie
post 29th Jan 2008, 07:14pm
Post #15

Visitor
Member No.: 5,308
Was born and lived above Griffins bar,can remember Charlies fish-n-chips shop,Gizzis cafe,had the best ice cream,on Nothwoodside Rd there was the Rex bar,Farrells bakery,Mrs Clark,s sweetie shop,O'Brien,s funeral parlor,I can,t recall the fish store on Dobies Loan,we used to buy steam whelks and pick them out with a pin

+Quote Post

30 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.