Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cadder
DannyH
post 4th Sep 2017, 10:05pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 3rd Sep 2017, 10:51pm) *
Thanks for your post, Danny. What a lovely photo, that's why it came through twice! Sorry to say I don't recognise the lady, but it was worth a try.

Thanks for the info about the Avante Garde - it sounds like an ideal place to spend a few hours. I arrive in Glasgow this Friday and leave again on Monday, so it's a short visit only. Going to my School Reunion (North Kelvinside) dinner on Saturday night, so that will probably be enough for us "oldies" in one day!

Good to hear from you, Danny. Keep smiling.

Kia Ora,
Betty

Hi Betty

Thank you for the kind reply.

Your mention of the NKS reunion, made me wonder, how long has it been since you last saw your classmates, and have you kept in touch with any of them over the years since leaving school?

The reason I am asking is that I left my Canadian primary school in 1944, to come home to Glasgow, from evacuation. I was invited back to the school's closing down ceremony in 2006. So we are talking of a 62 years gap. Naturally many of my former classmates would have passed on by then.
We lived in a rural area, so most of the houses were built by the father of the house, and were approximately 50 yards apart.

I was pleasantly surprised when some of my former classmates and neighbours were at the closing ceremony. What was also very pleasant was that they all remembered me, and I remembered them.
I was given a DVD of the ceremony. Any plans for your reunion to do that?

Speaking of the lady, in the photo. She lived in Vaila Street at the end nearest Maryhill (Lochburn Road). Maybe you lived at the other end?

Hope all goes well while you are back home.

Regards

Danny
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 4th Sep 2017, 10:13pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 4th Sep 2017, 10:10am) *
Hi Danny, I used to be the photie expert on here in a bygone age but my first attempt since my return resulted in a doubler too. I blamed it on my computer, then The Boards and eventually myself and since no amount of editing made any difference I decided to leave well enough alone and let folks enjoy "Gunter" twice.
Who can complain about two photos of a nice lassie either? :P

Thanks for your understanding TeeHeeHee.

Just glad it wasn't a photo of old me. Maybe you wouldn't have been so kind!

Hope you are keeping well.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 5th Sep 2017, 09:18pm
Post #18

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
QUOTE (DannyH @ 4th Sep 2017, 10:05pm) *
Hi Betty

Thank you for the kind reply.

Your mention of the NKS reunion, made me wonder, how long has it been since you last saw your classmates, and have you kept in touch with any of them over the years since leaving school?

The reason I am asking is that I left my Canadian primary school in 1944, to come home to Glasgow, from evacuation. I was invited back to the school's closing down ceremony in 2006. So we are talking of a 62 years gap. Naturally many of my former classmates would have passed on by then.
We lived in a rural area, so most of the houses were built by the father of the house, and were approximately 50 yards apart.

I was pleasantly surprised when some of my former classmates and neighbours were at the closing ceremony. What was also very pleasant was that they all remembered me, and I remembered them.
I was given a DVD of the ceremony. Any plans for your reunion to do that?

Speaking of the lady, in the photo. She lived in Vaila Street at the end nearest Maryhill (Lochburn Road). Maybe you lived at the other end?

Hope all goes well while you are back home.

Regards

Danny

Hi Danny, the friend I will be staying with in Cumbernauld was in my class in the 50's. I lost touch with her for a while when I left Scotland but we caught up with each other about 5 years later and have been writing to each other, through marriages, children, etc. I have met up with her and her husband on my last two visits to the UK. One of my other friends at NKS, who I had visited several times over the years, sadly passed away suddenly about 10 years ago. These were the only two classmates I have seen in person since school days but I did make contact with another girl from both my primary and secondary schools. She has lived in New York since she was 18 and we have not been able to see each, the only contact being letters and on Facebook. She very kindly rang me in Christchurch after the big earthquake in 2011, to check if we were all okay, which was very thoughtful of her.

Not sure about a DVD being planned at the Reunion, but I know there will be lots of photographs. I've discovered we will be sitting at one of the VIP tables, probably due to us being the oldest ones there!

We lived at No.3 Vaila Street, which was at the corner of Skirsa Street, nearest to the shops. Regards,

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 5th Sep 2017, 10:03pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (Scots Kiwi Lass @ 5th Sep 2017, 10:18pm) *
Hi Danny, the friend I will be staying with in Cumbernauld was in my class in the 50's. I lost touch with her for a while when I left Scotland but we caught up with each other about 5 years later and have been writing to each other, through marriages, children, etc. I have met up with her and her husband on my last two visits to the UK. One of my other friends at NKS, who I had visited several times over the years, sadly passed away suddenly about 10 years ago. These were the only two classmates I have seen in person since school days but I did make contact with another girl from both my primary and secondary schools. She has lived in New York since she was 18 and we have not been able to see each, the only contact being letters and on Facebook. She very kindly rang me in Christchurch after the big earthquake in 2011, to check if we were all okay, which was very thoughtful of her.

Not sure about a DVD being planned at the Reunion, but I know there will be lots of photographs. I've discovered we will be sitting at one of the VIP tables, probably due to us being the oldest ones there!

We lived at No.3 Vaila Street, which was at the corner of Skirsa Street, nearest to the shops. Regards,

Hi Betty, nice to hear from you again.

I wish I could remember the family name of the girl whose photo I submitted. She lived at the same end as you, in the close, near the bend in the road.

It is nice to keep in touch with, and/or meet old friends. I had a birthday card last week from a lady I went to pimary school with in Canada. I had kept in touch with her Dad, as he was very good to me when I was there. So she has kept in touch since he died about twenty years ago.

Just a word of caution. I note that you are being given VIP seats, because of your age. The same thing happened to me, then I was taken by surprise. I was asked to get up and stand at the lecturn and give a speech during the closing down ceremony. It is all on the DVD which I was presented with.

I had some explaining to do to my wife. When I was there, during the war, the school was in the countryside. At the beginning of each school year some of my classmates didn't come back, because the city boundary kept moving closer to the school. So one year little blonde, eleven years old Mabelle Rogers didn't come back. During my speech I told the audience that "I was devastated."

My wife said, "Listen Romeo, you keep telling people that the first person you saw when you arrived home in Scotland, was me, and that we married nine years later" You were only 13 when you came home. You've never mentioned any wee blonde to me".

So the moral of that story,Betty, is be careful what you say, if asked to make a speech!

By the way, the city boundary has moved many miles beyond the school now. There must have been a lot of broken hearts since I left.

Best of Luck

Danny

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.