Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cadder
GG
post 17th Mar 2007, 03:56pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Cadder

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Cadder

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Anne1
post 17th Mar 2007, 04:12pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,001
I moved to cadder [181 Skirsa Street] in 1953 with my mum dad 2 sisters 1 brother this was a dream come true for my mum and dad they moved out of a room & kitchen in Duncruin Street Maryhil, cadder was a really beautiful place then . We went to the local chapel st agnes,s I joined youth club there also left school and started work just after moving thre. I was married from there in 1960 moved away husband in navy but returned there many times I have many many happy memories of there. The joy that brought to my parents having bathroom and inside toilet and three bedrooms I think they thought their boat had come in.

--------------------
ANNWAN

+Quote Post
barbara mcdonagh
post 12th Oct 2011, 04:49am
Post #3

Special Visitor
Member No.: 11,173
QUOTE (GG @ 17th Mar 2007, 04:42pm) *
Please post your memories of this Glasgow district here...Cadder

Were you born here? Did you grow up here?
Did you visit your aunt here? ...or your children?
Was your first home here? Were your children born here?
Did you shop here? Was your favourite cinema here?
Did you go to church here? Was your favourite pub here?
Did you 'romance' here? Did you go to school here?
Do you have a photograph from here?

Come on let us know and immortalise your memories here...Cadder

GG.

I too remember the excitment of moving to a new flat in Cadder 1956,after 13 years of sharing the same room as my brothers and getting my own,even though it was a very small room it was all mine,we were the last street built in Cadder,we had the field behind us leading to the halloween pen which was a shortcut to Maryhill,I remember walking along the canal coming from the tram car,as their was no buses coming from the town at that time,as I still went to St Columbas school in Hopehill road,I remember Father Lightbody and Father Clancy from St Agnes,I used to play badminton with them at the youth club up in St Augustines,and later they used an old house at Kilfinian st as a club for us also,good memories of Cadder,also we were not too far from the Cowcaddens were we orignally came from

+Quote Post
irrie
post 12th Oct 2011, 07:43am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,735
Morning all. Ah mind when my grannie and granda and their family moved from Rolland St. to Tresta Rd in the 50s. Ah thought it wis great upstairs in a house amazing to me ah wis about 8 at the time. By the way mah Auntie still lives in the same house. Cheers

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 10th Jun 2014, 02:17am
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
skirsa st
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
JimC
post 27th Jul 2014, 02:34pm
Post #6

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
In the early sixties I used to live in Vaila Street then moved up to Scapa St. which was the # 54 bus terminus at that time. I have been home a few times since but the area has changed ever so much. The field behind us was a football pitch and play area, now it`s more of a forest and all the close entrances have doors on them. Kind of sad in a way.
All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
gardenqueen
post 27th Jul 2014, 03:33pm
Post #7

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,280
I had a good friend, from school, who lived in a flat in either Tresta Road or Skirsa Street. I remember going to a party there in '66 - great fun. We played "stations" and "postman's knock". It was all new to me as I wasn't even 15 yet! I led a sheltered life, lol.

+Quote Post
JimC
post 28th Jul 2014, 03:00pm
Post #8

Lord Provost
Member No.: 7,530
Aye Gardenqueen,
The good thing about Postmans Knock was if you were on good terms with the person looking after the door he or she would indicate who they were pointing to . If you wern`t on good terms, well, Surprise !!! Surprise !!! who you got ..was who you got... ohmy.gif I think that was a few years ago for both of us smile.gif

All The Very Best.
JimC

--------------------
The most important thing in communication
is to hear what isn`t being said

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 7th Aug 2017, 11:40am
Post #9

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
I visited Cadder last month, very briefly. The block of flats we lived in (3 Vaila Street) had been upgraded a bit and looked presentable enough. I noticed the verandas has been closed in, so now more like a small conservatory of sorts.

The street itself looked very tidy and the middle island looked a lot better than my last visit. One thing my sister and I found very depressing was the state of the shops - very run-down and dirty, not at all like the years we lived there when the shops were newly built and thriving, with flats above.

Sorry to say it will be my last visit to Scotland (though you should never say never). The long trip from New Zealand is getting harder each time I come over. I will just have to rely on messages on Glasgow Guide about Cadder as I don't know anyone living there.

Kia Ora,
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 8th Aug 2017, 09:46pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
Hello Betty

I guess I am one of the few people left who had family living in Vaila Street. during your time there. I think I have mentioned in a previous post that my parents lived around the corner from you in Vaila Street. They moved their after the tenement they lived in on Garscube Road, collapsed in 1959.

I was an adult by then, with a young daughter. We used to take the 54 bus from Hope Street to visit them. My Dad sadly died as the result of an accident at work a few months after moving in. They had waited 28 years for a Council house. Being a lamplighter, then a motor mechanic's labourer, they had no chance of buying their own home.

My mother visited a family in Austrailia in 1984, who had lived at your end of Vaila Street before emigrating in the 1960's. I will try and locate a photo that the daughter sent my mother, from Australia, just in the off-chance that you recognise her. Annoyingly, I have forgotten the family's name. I know there was also a son in the family.

I hope you enjoyed your visit home.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 9th Aug 2017, 08:45pm
Post #11

City Key Holder
Good to hear from you Danny. What a tragedy, losing your Dad so soon after moving into Vaila Street - he never really got a chance to enjoy being there.

Unfortunately, my family had similar circumstances. Our Mum never got out of the tenements. She died in 1953 at the age of 41 and we were offered our place in Vaila Street the following year. My Dad had been offered a flat in Drumchapel twice before that but turned them down as he was very keen to wait for one in Cadder. So, it was just my Dad, my two sisters and I who moved away from Hinshaw Street.

My older sister emigrated to New Zealand in 1959, followed by my younger sister and I in 1963 and Dad in 1964. Dad soon met a lovely Irish lady and they eventually married in 1975. She was a joy, an absolute angel who changed my Dad's grumpy ways forever! He lived to 84, my step-mum to 91 and they never owned a house together either.

Good to see the young Glaswegians doing a lot better for themselves these days. All my cousins seem to have good jobs, nice houses and cars. Changed days indeed (and for the better).

While in Glasgow, we stayed at the Hampton Hotel in Bath Street, which was just metres away from the place I worked in prior to leaving for New Zealand (No.155). I managed to have a quick look around the ground floor - now occupied by an I.T. company (what else?). I started work there in 1957 when I left school and it was a Corporation Department then - the School Health Dept, next door at 151 was the School Welfare Dept. All these small departments were shifted to Ingram Street, I think in the 60s or 70s.

I must say that though my sister and I found Maryhill and Cadder quite dingy, the city centre seemed very clean and the atmosphere friendly and very lively. We had a wonderful afternoon reunion with several of our cousins and I hope to catch up with them again when I go back to Glasgow for 4 days in September.

Thanks for your interest, Danny. I always enjoy your messages.

Kia Ora,
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 9th Aug 2017, 11:00pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder

Attached Image
Hi Betty

Thank you for your kind reply.

I have found a photo amongst some photos that my mother had. I don't remember the girl's name but I do know she lived in Vaila Street during the late 1950's and part of the 1960's, at your end of the street. The reason I know this is because my mother was friendly with the family before they moved to Austalia. My mother visited the family in Australia in 1984, so this photo was taken about that time.

I am hoping that you, or possibly some other person who lived in Vaila street all those long years ago, will remember the girl in the photo. She had a younger brother.

I should also mention that one of my Dad's brothers Jimmy, lived in a semi-detached house just past the shops, going towards Maryhill. He had a daughter Elizabeth. They lived there during the 1950's and 60's.

I note you will be visiting Glasgow in September for four days. If one of the days is a Saturday, I would recommend you go to the Avante Garde on the Saturday afternoon. It is located in King Street, off the Trongate, across from the Candleriggs.

The have a band playing music from the past. It is optional to have a meal, but if you fancy having a bite to eat, I would recommend that you book a table. The menu is varied, and is very reasonable.
It starts from 2:30 to 5:20 every Saturday.

If you just fancy going in for a drink and a chat, there is a large area for non-diners. It is very popular with ladies who just want to meet up to have a pleasant afternoon, a dance, and a blether. The business is owned by a couple who are very friendly. The phone number is 0141 552 7123.
They have website, but I haven't got a note of it!

So here goes. I will now try to attempt to upload the photo!

Regards

Danny Harris

Attached Image

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 9th Aug 2017, 11:02pm
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
I don't know how I do it, but I always seem to get two photos uploaded!!!

Sorry.

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 3rd Sep 2017, 09:51pm
Post #14

City Key Holder
Thanks for your post, Danny. What a lovely photo, that's why it came through twice! Sorry to say I don't recognise the lady, but it was worth a try.

Thanks for the info about the Avante Garde - it sounds like an ideal place to spend a few hours. I arrive in Glasgow this Friday and leave again on Monday, so it's a short visit only. Going to my School Reunion (North Kelvinside) dinner on Saturday night, so that will probably be enough for us "oldies" in one day!

Good to hear from you, Danny. Keep smiling.

Kia Ora,
Betty

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 4th Sep 2017, 09:10am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (DannyH @ 9th Aug 2017, 11:02pm) *
I don't know how I do it, but I always seem to get two photos uploaded!!!

Sorry.

Danny Harris

Hi Danny, I used to be the photie expert on here in a bygone age but my first attempt since my return resulted in a doubler too. I blamed it on my computer, then The Boards and eventually myself and since no amount of editing made any difference I decided to leave well enough alone and let folks enjoy "Gunter" twice.
Who can complain about two photos of a nice lassie either? tongue.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.