Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh Memories That Bless & Burn, Unpalatable, but they're mine
jock
post 30th Sep 2003, 09:44pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 32
Good posts everyone. This may be off-topic, or maybe it's related to the demise of tenements. I read elsewhere on this board that the population of Glasgow declined from 1,089,555 in 1961 to 616,430 in 1996 (the last year shown under Info+). Is dear old glesca toon disappearing?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jimmyd
post 2nd Oct 2003, 10:54am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 22
Think you will find Jock ,that a lot of those people moved to the overspill places like Livingston,Linwood Etc. wink.gif

--------------------
" If during a lifetime ,you bring happiness and pleasure to just one person ,then your time on earth has been worthwhile indeed ! " Jimmyd

+Quote Post
isa
post 3rd Oct 2003, 10:46am
Post #18

Lord Provost
Member No.: 425
Hello,
I had family move away from Cumbernauld street, some went to castlemilk,linwood and livingstone, but my dad always's said living in Cumbernauld was the happiest day's of his life. they did'nt have much, but they had each other, he was one of 7 children.
isa

--------------------
gonnae throw us doon a piece Ma

+Quote Post
Melody
post 5th Oct 2003, 08:05pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Ed. speaking as someone who has stayed in Glasgow, I was thinking about what you were saying with regard to only seeing the poverty once you moved away from it. My husband and I ( sounds like the queen talking) probably moved about two miles from where we were born and brought up in Glasgow, we were both brought up in council houses in housing schemes, not poor but not well off either. We are probably typical of folk of our generation who have been fortunate enough to work all of our lives, buy our own home and rear and educate our family to the best of our ability. It has not always been easy for us, however we have never experienced the poverty that we have seen in Glasgow especially when we were children. Today we went to 'the barras' and there is a little barber shop where the barber has a little art studio inside his shop, we were looking at his brilliant drawings and paintings of Glasgow and Glasgow folk and got talking to him about his collection. My eyes wandered through the collection of old photographs he has there, beautiful children in what was considered places to live, I won't call them homes or houses. It makes you want to cry for humanity to feel that they endured such deprivation, beautiful faces looking out, and behind them walls which were crumbling around them. Mags talked earlier about her wonderful granny warming the bed for her, that's the spirit of love that kept them going through those deprivations. For those who moved away and found a better life, I salute you. Don't feel ashamed you should be very proud of your ancestors, I wish I could punish those 'people' who allowed yours and mine to suffer such inhumanity. The real sadness is that it continues today and sadly there's not so much of that wonderful family love going around either. In this material world people are beaten by it, spirits are battered down and drugs have taken hold.

+Quote Post
albaliz
post 5th Oct 2003, 10:40pm
Post #20

Super Visitor
Member No.: 109
Oh Melody I got wee goose bumps and a few tears as I read your post. I for one will never feel ashamed of my humble beginnings because the best thing my wee mammy ( my father died when I was 7) passed on to me was her strong backbone. If I ever get get back to the barra's I would love to see the barbershop you're talking about. Any chance of a picture of it hen?

--------------------
LIZ

+Quote Post
Melody
post 2nd Nov 2003, 08:35pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Albaliz, next time I'm there I'll take the camera for you. Somebody will have to tell me how to post the picture on here though. Take Care.

+Quote Post
Dolly
post 3rd Nov 2003, 04:49am
Post #22

Visitor
Member No.: 182
i too was brought up , during these hard times , but as the saying goes now, we were poor , but didn't know it as every other family was the same , we enjoyed playing in the backyard at shops, and playing peaver , and even raking the middens , thinking we would get lucky, the war was on and we often missed classes because the siren would go off and we would all be taken out to the shelters , Teachers in my day were very strickand seemed to take a delight in giving the strap every chance they got, now they are not allowed to do that, well i survived it as did a lot of others , it must have been the bowl of porridge every morning and the bowl of soup at supper time, I remember my Mother telling me when she was a child she had no shoes and her Brother took his bunnet off and said put your feet in there Nell and get them warm, sadly her brother was killed in the 1st world war and he was only 19,

+Quote Post
jock
post 3rd Nov 2003, 06:10am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Dolly, enjoyed your memories, they almost duplicate mine especially the backyards,middens,air raid s etc. That is really the way I like to remember Glesca! Tough,happy,lots of friends. Melody, in an earlier post mentioned drugs had taken hold nowwhich is no surprise since they seem to have taken over everywhere, I just don't like to think of Maryhill with drugs!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Nov 2003, 07:33pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Jock, sorry I always hate telling my friends abroad sad things about our beloved city, unfortunately this seems to be the case, not really surprising when people are left in ghetto housing schemes with no hope and no family love and support.
It's so sad to see the hopelessness sometimes, but hope springs eternal, and there still are wonderful people in the schemes too who struggle against the odds to help themselves and others.
I was trying to show how vital and exquisite that family love was in the past, how it made the poverty just tolerable and it made families strong enough to cope and move onward and upward in a lot of cases. I think those good Mothers and Fathers from our past should make us all so proud. The memories must Bless and Burn right enough, but mostly Bless, thank God for them all.
Dolly that was so touching, the bunnet for your Mother's feet, her loving Brother, that makes the tears run down my cheeks. Such love in the face of poverty. God Bless and Take Care.

+Quote Post
jock
post 3rd Nov 2003, 11:29pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Melody, you are right, family love and support can be the answer to the problems you mention.

+Quote Post
Margaret P
post 4th Nov 2003, 08:14am
Post #26

City Key Holder
Member No.: 25
I think thats whats wrong with the world today not enough family love and support I know we never had much but I came from a loving family and yes I lived in a tenement building till I was 10 I remember the good friendly people who shared everything they had my close cant be the only one were good people lived

+Quote Post
Melody
post 23rd Nov 2003, 04:29pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
No Margaret your right it wasn't the only place where good people lived, people these days are under so much pressure I don't think we see the best of them. Pressure of survival in a different way these days, pressure of two parents having to work, not being able to stay at home and rear their own children.
Pressure to be 'middle class' whatever that is, pressure to keep up with the neighbours. In the tenements everybody was the same more or less, when people were thrown together in close proximity, somehow they cared more for each other, made friends quickly, they had to. Not always a bad thing! Equality of a fashion.
Just a pity it wasn't equality for everybody with the rich.

+Quote Post
leeninaus
post 23rd Nov 2003, 05:36pm
Post #28

City Key Holder
Member No.: 191
Oh my dear friend Melody, it is not oft these days we disagree..
BUT I have to disagree with you on this point!!! in this day & age there is very little class distinction, ( I can here Tommy Kennedy crying out here) little to what we knew it I mean!! yes there is still the middle classes ( aren't you of that class nowadays?) the upper middle classes, then the high societies & after that.. of course comes royalties & titles!!!
In my parent's days, teachers, university lecturers, lawyers,doctors,engineers ( shall I go on?) were of the 85% of middle class or upperclass
background!!!! the 15% lucky individuals of working class individuals were of such a high academic standard they obtained scolarships, or were lucky enough ( as in a fictitional stories) to have a rich sugar Daddy or sponsor!!)
I do not believe this is the case today!! Fortunately, for the most part if a student has the ability then he or she can achieve whatever he or she wishes!!! OK if they are from working class backgrounds then maybe they may need to work in some sort of sub-orbinate field to get them through, ( that usually makes them a better person anyway) BUT in this day & age even the working classes can produce top lawyers, doctors.scientists etc etc !! & let's face it Melody it is people like YOU that are teaching these kids, and put them on the road ahead of what their parents only dreamed of!!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 23rd Nov 2003, 06:16pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Dear Leen, so you are saying that there is little or no class distinction these days, that is what the Tony Blair's tell us to think. Try going into the housing schemes of Glasgow some of them not a stones throw from the richest parts of Glasgow. eg. Drumchapel and Bearsden. Maryhill and Kelvinside, then you'll see the class difference alright. I would like to see some of the people from Maryhill or Drumchapel trying to move a few hundred yards into Glaswegian 'middle class' Bearsden or Kelvinside.
In our day yes, our families have moved from what was considered working class backgrounds and through education which our parents believed saved you from basic manual labour have managed to move to a what I will call a safer area of Glasgow.
However I do not consider myself or mine to be 'middle class' we work hard every day for what we have achieved, and we have still struggled to educate our children. Yes we're better off than the poor folk who have to struggle in those schemes, and do you know something I'm not proud of that. Please don't call me 'middle class' I'm working class, my politics are working class, my life is working class. I don't get my hands too dirty however, I'm priveleged to work with delightful and beautiful young people who are definately not ' middle class'. Like me.
With the greatest respect I see it every day!

+Quote Post
Melody
post 24th Nov 2003, 07:47am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Sorry Leen in retrospect I realise that you meant well there in your post, but I defend my working class folk like a tigress.
What you say would be the case if there were jobs at all for the people no matter how clever they are. University graduates are working for coppers for ever here not short term . The best brains have always come from the working class.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.