Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Ode Tae A 'doo'
TeeHeeHee
post 21st May 2011, 04:39am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
A wee story for you Chrissie.
One of my mates over here, his uncle ( or something) is caretaker in a church in another town near to here. It was almost impossible to open the door, behind the altar, which gave access to the bell-tower and attic so he asked my mate if he could rid the church of the pidgeons and clean up the mess they'd left. My mate asked if I would help.
The steps behind the door really were about 6" thick with hard as concrete doo-poo; had to be chizzled and scraped all the way up to the bell-tower.
You know when you're in a church and you look up to the ceiling above you and it's all arched ... when you're the other side of that ceiling it's like an upside-down egg box. You need a rope to abseil down the domes and climb back up. All around the attic there is a series of cat-walks; every thing was covered in hard, white, poo so we were well covered in protective overalls (red rolleyes.gif ) and wore gloves and masks.
One of the funny moments was when I turned to see my mate quite a way away from me standing talking to someone on his mobile; head slightly tilted upwards and a single ray of sunshine beaming down on him through one of the holes in the roof, completely oblivious to the picture he presented; as if he was talkin' to Big G on the phone.
I was always sorry I didn't have a camera on me at that time.
We cleared out, literally, over a ton or two of doo-poo, egg shells and bird remains, all neatly tied up in black bags. Then we set about fitting wire mesh to all the gaps and ventilation points in the roof so that the birds couldn't get back into the House of God.
And the caretaker was very happy ...
... till the Sunday Morning Service.
You know, and Davy knows, and I know that pidgeons are homing birds. Maybe the caretaker thought they might all migrate to the nearby woods, but we know that's where the wood-pidgeons live. The Homing pidgeons came back home ... but couldn't get in.
So they sat on the guttering around the church ... and pooed on the people below laugh.gif
Sunday bests were pooed on, cars were pooed on and the paths were pooed on and I thought "All creatures great and small, the Lord God loves them all".
But his congregation weren't too happy with them. laugh.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 21st May 2011, 08:21am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
What a beautiful view that must be, Chrissie - you should share it with us

## Loved the story btw THEE (as usual)

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 21st May 2011, 10:33am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Davy, Chrissie might have seen that Big Burd land on the Hudson not so long ago. Wonder if she got the camera oot? wink.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 21st May 2011, 11:09am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
WHO says miracles DONT happen, eh?

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 21st May 2011, 11:41am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
I'll give you that Davy .. and Sullenberger should have been sainted. biggrin.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 25th May 2011, 05:54am
Post #21

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
THH,
You're too funny. I was visualizing what was happening while I was reading your post. Chalk one up for the pigeons. Sometimes the good guys win. biggrin.gif
We didn't see Sullie - he came down in a part of the Hudson that borders Manhattan. I'm miles upriver from there. He really is a hero and New Yorkers know it. Sullie gets treated well here.
What I did see once was three big rooks trying to divebomb a hawk out of the sky. Believe it or not they couldn't do it. Not too long after that the big rooks left the neighbourhood. Coincidence?

Wee Davie,
We are neither of us very technical in oor hoose. Bill used to be a better than me but no more. When we try to do something we usually end up sqsuabbling. You're right tho. We should keep a camera at the ready. When my son comes over in August I'll get him to pick us one we can work. We think the printer is broken because we can't get it to print words. It goes through the motions but the paper comes out blank. We read the book and bickered for a week before we gave up. Another job for Willie, my son. I think I'll need to get a new computer, one of those all in one kind. We have too many plugs to put in. The 2 for sound are unplugged because of this. Ah well. Ma poor mammy never even had a phone - or a TV. So we're lucky to have this technology. smile.gif

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 25th May 2011, 09:27am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Chrissie,
I was always tempted to leave a gap uncovered by that wire mesh so the pigeons could get back in; after all it was their Big (But and) Benn but my mate was paying me for the week's work (it took that long) and his uncle was paying him so having accepted the Church's shilling - or Deutschmark in that case - the job had to be done right.
I wondered if when the architecs were working out the stresses on the arches and roof they were thinking, like ...
"We'd better take a couple o' tons o' doo-poo intae consideration".
"Well, Hans, we've allowed for ten tons o' snow."
"Aye, Fritz, but the snow melts." tongue.gif laugh.gif

The church was on the outskirts of Grenzach-Wyhlen (SW Germany) and a thing that always made me laugh; although you shoudn't really, was that on entering the area where this church was we passed a house each morning where some rotten bugger had sprayed in really large letters, "Here lives a sto-sto-stotterer." laugh.gif
Y' have tae laugh some times even when you shouldn't.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 25th May 2011, 09:50am
Post #23

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
Sunday tomorrow, nae dinner,
So am aff tae George Square,
Wae a jaykit, an a brick,
The doo, the poor man's chicken,
A salute the humble doo. rolleyes.gif

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 26th May 2011, 12:06am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Anyone remember the pidgeon song from way back, Frank Sinatra I think.

Therer is a belter of a vid on you tube of The Pidgeon during the Rangers V St Mirren League cup final, watch out for The Pigeon in the replays, it looks like the pidgeon has taken part in the goal.

Nothing to do with Rangers Watch the Pidgeon.

http://youtu.be/r-4qpXEou3c

+Quote Post
ionnsaigh
post 26th May 2011, 12:13pm
Post #25

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 5,122
Things are economically tight just now, but what the heck, we are having a big doo at Christmas.
( Can't afford a Turkey )

--------------------
The Dear Green Place.

+Quote Post
Crewsy Fixer
post 27th May 2011, 12:14am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,545
Copyright Harry Enfield and The Scousers

Deh doo do dont deh do.

+Quote Post
Chrissie
post 28th May 2011, 05:34am
Post #27

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,556
A few people in Shettleston ate doos. I remember one lady always having a pot hanging on the black lead grate with pigeons in it. Guess she made stew or soup. A guy I knew who worked in some of the best eating places in NY told me that they served pigeon in them; called it squab. He swore a guy got them from Central Park. rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 28th May 2011, 10:06am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Ahm sure many's a wee glescae urchin spat oot some lead shot, frae Sunday Dinner!

--------------------

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 28th May 2011, 10:33am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
I read once of a King who ate Blackbirds in a pie.
Quite a dainty dish apparently. tongue.gif laugh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 28th May 2011, 10:40am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Good moaning THEE. Fancy meeting yoo here! Ah thoat ye'd be oan yer cats thread again. Me and cats have never really seen eye to eye - I suppose it wiz mibbe efter ma brother committed 'caticide' by 'looking efter' ma wee Tam- bit he forgoat tae tell me he'd just moved intae a 14 story block of flats

Cats do NOT hiv nine lives, from the 8th floor up!

(BELEEVE ME! lol)

--------------------

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.