Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Henry Healy Sells Last Tunnocks Teacake, Glasgow grocery institution closes last shop
ashfield
post 3rd Dec 2009, 10:12am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Alemass, the coffee shop (Thompson's?) disappeared several years ago and nobody was interested in taking it over. The days when the wee shops thrived is when the "housewife" did her shopping on a daily basis. If you canny go to the supermarket they bring it to you in a van. I had friends who owned a small electrical retailers, they were local and provided good customer service. They constantly had folk coming in with stuff printed from the internet asking them to match prices. Of course they couldn't because of their overheads so eventually shut up shop. Local shops just can't compete so local shops will just go on disappearing. Very few of the "old" shopping areas survive, Byers Rd, bits of GW Rd are ok but Maryhill Rd, Victoria Rd are dead and Shawlands is heading that way.

I have tried to use local shops and farmers markets as much as I can but the choice available is limited. Henry Healy's shop in Stockwell St was laterly operating as a takeaway, soup, rolls etc but that market is pretty congested (see the Gregg's thread). We have also just seen Haddow's/Threshers/Wine Rack going out of business. Glasgow is littered with empty shop units and I can't see how they will ever be revived.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*saifinger*
post 3rd Dec 2009, 02:07pm
Post #17

There used to be one on shettleston road in the east end and it was always packed - i remember the carmel wafers and the big block of butter u could get salted or unsalted my mum used to send me there when i came home from school and i hated the big q's.

+Quote Post
LizM
post 3rd Dec 2009, 05:23pm
Post #18

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,798
Hi I worked in Henry Healys for many years. I worked in Dundas Street in the late sixties up untill the late eighties in many of the shops

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 3rd Dec 2009, 05:26pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Was there no a Healys at the bottom of High Street?

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
LizM
post 3rd Dec 2009, 05:34pm
Post #20

Unpacking
I there was one at the High Street I worked in that shop Happy Days

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 3rd Dec 2009, 07:46pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
I remember going to Healey's on a weekly basis with ma mum to get a few things,especially their butter.
We would go to the one on Victoria Rd,and it was alway's packed.
I can still visualize the big block of butter with the wee wummin using the two wooden paddles taking off the requested amount.
sad.gif very sad to lose another family run small business

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
*Anthony Sloey*
post 3rd Dec 2009, 07:47pm
Post #22

I worked for Reid furniture for 14 Years and Healys on Paisley Road West Cardonald was a regular morning Haunt for myself and my Driver for Cold Meat and Salad Rolls before the days Deliveries.

The Staff were always pleasant and its really sad to see it finally close even though my local shop closed many years ago .Sadly another sign of the times. sad.gif

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 3rd Dec 2009, 08:16pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Funnily enough I don't remember much about the Shettleston branch as ma mammy shopped at Cochran's mostly when I was a kid (1950Žs).

I do recall the Dundas Street one as we used to go there before getting the Aberdeen train and buy Glasgow rolls, cold meats, pies etc for the journey.

Ref: ThomsonŽs coffee shop at top of Renfield Street/Sauchiehall Street - I went to school with Bertie Addison whose father owned it- the aroma spread for quite a few square yards.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*Chris Holmes*
post 3rd Dec 2009, 08:35pm
Post #24

I used to be bursting at the seems just before the bell went at Holyrood for dinner time, i had to get my fastest shoes on before ma pals got there before me cause if i did'nt get there fast enough there was a line a mile long the pies were brilliant the cheese and onion ones were my favourites Will be missed by all who graced your establishments all over Glasgow I can smell the fresh bread now it never leaves you...

+Quote Post
LizM
post 3rd Dec 2009, 10:12pm
Post #25

Unpacking
I worked in the shop in Dundas Street it was fish dressing on the square sausage not mustard

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 3rd Dec 2009, 10:29pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (LizM @ 3rd Dec 2009, 10:10pm) *
I worked in the shop in Dundas Street it was fish dressing on the square sausage not mustard

Zat like fish dressing as in breid crumbs Liz?

--------------------

+Quote Post
LizM
post 3rd Dec 2009, 10:48pm
Post #27

Unpacking
naw its like fish dressin oot a boax

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 4th Dec 2009, 04:11am
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Wits in the recipe, an dinnea tell me fish, that soonds like a died give away.

Fish on a square slice, sounds manky, haha. Ah'm up fer that.

Only teasin' Liz.

Yer welcome in here, weer awe aff oor trolleys.

--------------------

+Quote Post
townheadboy
post 5th Dec 2009, 04:20pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,740
QUOTE (Maggie50 @ 3rd Dec 2009, 12:00am) *
I left school at 15 in 1966 and went into a factory, i was paid £3.5.6p. Walking up Dundas St. i saw the advert in the window for an assistant and the pay was £5.19.6p albeit you had to work 3 Saturdays a month ( nae bother!!!). My ' job' as junior was to pick up the bits of bacon that had fallen on the floor, put them on a tray, rinse them under cold water to remove the sawdust and make sure they were strategically placed between the nice slices so that they would'nt be noticed but would make up the weight. These two bosses ( Jim and Joe) brothers by the way had a few underhand things going on in that shop and we used to laugh about it but my family were always warned not to buy butter or bacon first thing in the morning. Also, if you were on the shop floor at the counter, the customer had your undivided attention, OR ELSE!!!. There was no talking among colleagues at all, as the boss always said at the wee ' briefings ' we got " get them in, get them served, get them oot and let's get merr in.( that's Glaswegan vernacular by the way )These two brothers thought they were wide boys ( not) but i loved every minute in that shop. I was eventually poached by a customer from 'The Wimpey Bar' up at Dundas St. bus station with the lure of £1 more which i jumped at and enjoyed that wee adventure too. Wis ah chasing the big bucks ?? yeah you better believe it.

I worked there in 68 as a grocers boy used to unload the deliveries and carry them upstairs to the close next door to the shop.

In the summer we used to say we dropped the ginger bottles but we drank them before we dropped them. Some times I had to serve the customers remenber we would say " who's first please" and count the messages on a paper bag for the total amount then take it to joe or jim as they did the till. Many a time I saw the staff fiddle and put money in their pockets. I did not do it as I was a daft 15 year old I sensed there was a lot of politics involved between joe and jim with the staff and being only 15 years old I did not understand as this was left to the grown ups.

Completly forgot about this place. Nice to see there is comments here. Remenber the back room where we used to drink our teas with the caramel wafers and the toilet was there.

WOW what a jolt to the memory.

+Quote Post
LizM
post 5th Dec 2009, 07:31pm
Post #30

Unpacking
I remember Joe and Jim Kane I worked with Joe in the late sixties or early seventies in Dundas Street I think Jim Kane had gone back to Ireland by then do you remember Pat Gaffney? Danny Quigley Pat Quigley or Jim Main ?

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Nov 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.