Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Kelvingrove Visitor Numbers Fall... Again!, Alarming decline in visitors to city jewel
Mrs L
post 2nd Mar 2011, 03:26am
Post #16

Visitor
Member No.: 7,894
Oh I am sorry to hear about the Art Galleries. Something I loved to do when I lived in Glasgow - Maryhill Rd - was putting both girls in the pram and walking to Kelvingrove. Spending several hours entranced at the displays, the artifacts and definitely Dali's painting. Take care, all. Mrs L
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Harriet Green*
post 2nd Mar 2011, 07:02am
Post #17

I agree with the comments from the Australian tourist, cited at the beginning of this story. My own experience and comment on the Kelvingrove Art Gallery is that I found it to look more like a museum warehouse rather a reputable show piece for the diplay of all art. It is dismal, dirty and unaccomodating. PS. It would be of great help if you made the imprint of your security code easier for older folks to read.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 2nd Mar 2011, 10:10am
Post #18

I have always loved Kelvin museum ever since I was a wee yin. But have to agree with some of the tourists comments. I believe that the museum is going the wrong way, ever since this new crowd has taken over. And totally agree with his comments on the cafe, its very poor. There does seem to be an inept co-ordination within the exhibits, that beggars belief.

+Quote Post
**Jim1888**
post 2nd Mar 2011, 10:34am
Post #19

QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 1st Mar 2011, 11:43pm) *
I wouldn't know but I wonder if last years drop in visitors to the gallery had anything to do with the temporary loss of Dali's "Christ of St John of the Cross"?

I agree.

We came up last year and brought some people up from Burnley with us and it was a huge disappointment that Dali's work was absent.

+Quote Post
*jennyhaytch*
post 2nd Mar 2011, 10:48am
Post #20

It's completely dumbed down! I totally agree that it feels like the wall descriptions have been written by kids. There's nothing wrong with going to a museum for enjoyment and learning something along the way, but for adults it feels like you're ready a kids' book. They've been so dumbed down it's partronising.

+Quote Post
George Brown
post 2nd Mar 2011, 11:27am
Post #21

Visitor
Member No.: 676
I was a regular visitor to the Art Galleries, until its' recent transformation
I have visited once and it is unlikely that I will return.
The process of whatever has been done has lost the museum quality of the artefacts, the roominess and quiet presentation of exhibits has now been replaced by a noisier and more confined viewing of objects leading to some inconvenient conjestion in areas of general interest.
I can recall times when walking into a museum you were met with a sombre and quiet atmosphere I can still 'taste' the smell of the waxed floors and show cases which enhanced the importance of the displays, this atmosphere probably encouraged the visitor to appreciate and think about the history of what he was looking at.
Of course parking facillity doesn't help either but then again were the presentation improved transport would be the least consideration.

+Quote Post
*Liam Baxter*
post 2nd Mar 2011, 11:39am
Post #22

There's nothing wrong with the idea that kids should be engaged by art. Hanging the paintings lower so children can see them properly with information aimed at their age group is sound thinking. When I heard this was the plan for Kelvingrove I applauded it.

But then, I wrongly assumed that there would also be information panels for adults beside each work of art. If I like a piece I want to know all about it. I want to be challenged. I want to read something I perhaps don't fully understand which stretches me and compels me to investigate further. That is the basis of learning and it's part of the pleasure of art appreciation.

It's ok though - it's not going to take another multi-million pound refurbishment to fix this - just put information panels for adults beside all the kids ones and we'll all be much happier!

Finally, it should be pointed out that Kelvingrove visiting numbers were always going to fall after the artificial high of the reopening year. Only if the figures drop below those for the Museum before refurbishment have you got a genuine problem.

+Quote Post
nan mcdonald
post 2nd Mar 2011, 12:37pm
Post #23

Settling In
Member No.: 7,703
I must agree with the visitor who left a review on The Trip Advisor Web site.

"The Gallery" has been ruined with too much modernisation.

+Quote Post
gamlenils
post 2nd Mar 2011, 01:06pm
Post #24

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,508
Like most people replying to this thread I was introduced to the art gallery as a child.
I always found it a magical place to be in and still do despite the changes.
I think that whilst criticism of some aspects of the museum is valid there is a little bit of nit-picking too.
To say that the paintings are too close together to allow a person to concentrate on one shows a certain level of a.d.d in the viewer I think.
The ground floor "cafe" is a throwback to what was in the past the norm in scottish catering, where customer service was low in the priorities of the proprietors and staff, but that can and should change given the number of adverse comments here, fortunately the basement restaurant is a better example of what catering to the public should be.
I can also see through adult eyes that some exhibits are a trifle moth eaten, as one would expect 60 odd years later, although I thought as a child that they were only half a step away from the real thing and maybe that is where the gallery should be focusing; after all my visits as a child inspired me to return there throughout my life and, given the number of children visiting daily I think it a fair bet that a large proportion of those kids will do the same

+Quote Post
nippynell
post 2nd Mar 2011, 01:18pm
Post #25

Special Visitor
Member No.: 9,094
QUOTE (Megan McQueenie @ 2nd Mar 2011, 02:49am) *
Good morning,

I'm an Australian and visited Kelvingrove with my grandaughter 19, and 2 distant cousins/friends I brought to Glasgow and the Highlands (WHWay Walk) in October/ November 2010, I was devastated to see the ruin of 'my" Kelvingrove Art Gallery. ...

PLEASE PLEASE bring back the old gallery!!!!! AND MY DALI!!!!!

Couldn't agree more Megan!!! wink.gif

+Quote Post
*Yogi*
post 2nd Mar 2011, 03:34pm
Post #26

They should have left it the way it was before refurbishment!

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 3rd Mar 2011, 01:28am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
No wonder tourists don't want to visit our used-to-be beloved Art Galleries!

It is now a cheap, hackneyed excuse for a visitor attraction.... bring back the old Galleries, they were an inspiring delight to visit and enjoy. I remember them dearly and think it is so sad that the younger generation no longer has the chance to see our artworks in a fitting environment.

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Mar 2011, 08:53am
Post #28

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Guest @ 2nd Mar 2011, 12:42am) *
... And given that Glasgow isn't a capital city, I think this is something that needs to be looked at. I also don't think comparisons with Edinburgh are helpful. I think it needs to be compared with other non-capital cities, similar to Glasgow.

Thanks Guest, however, it's not just attractions in Edinburgh and London which have overtaken Glasgow's Kelvingrove Art Galleries for visitor numbers, there are others in non-capital locations, e.g. Chester Zoo (Chester has a population of less than 78,000 people).

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Melody
post 3rd Mar 2011, 09:05am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 235
Interesting point Martin about the other cities. Sadly, I feel that Kelvingrove has lost it's magic somehow. Those interactive things for the children are definitely tacky looking. At my great age laugh.gif I must admit to feeling sad when young families just let their children run riot in there. The place just looks rundown somehow.

One day just admiring the fabulous building itself I heard some tourists say, ' It's just like the Harry Potter books' smile.gif They were enthralled by the beauty of it.

+Quote Post
gamlenils
post 3rd Mar 2011, 11:36am
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,508
QUOTE (GG @ 3rd Mar 2011, 09:16am) *
Thanks Guest, however, it's not just attractions in Edinburgh and London which have overtaken Glasgow's Kelvingrove Art Galleries for visitor numbers, there are others in non-capital locations, e.g. Chester Zoo (Chester has a population of less than 78,000 people).

GG.

Surprising, given that edinburghs' gallerys of modern art are "better" examples of tat and lack of taste than kelvingrove.

Their cafes are pretentious, over priced and dreary as are the exhibits and staff, the buildings are cluttered and non too clean either.

I would get the cleansing department in.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.