Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oops ... We've Lost (most Of) A Tram!, One item not going to the Riverside Museum
Jupiter
post 1st Feb 2011, 04:28pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
A number of paintings were stolen 15 years ago when there was a local authority policy of not reporting to the Police or entering them on the Art Loss Register so since then it would appear that the place has been treated like an Aladinns Cave by individuals who have been safe in the knowledge that little or no action would be taken either to check or audit the missing property.Shameful.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Rab-oldname
post 1st Feb 2011, 04:37pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 413
curator (plural curators)
1. A person who manages, administers or organizes a collection, either independently or employed by a museum, library, archive or zoo.

Sounds like a sacking offence to me. mad.gif

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st Feb 2011, 05:11pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Your right there Rab. Can you not put on the old uniform and just go and arrest them??
Seeing as they have not been sacked, lets put them in the dock, either at the Court or the Clyde. laugh.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
*Tram Man*
post 1st Feb 2011, 06:08pm
Post #34

The items were lost over a 75-year period, a council audit in 1996 said that previous arrangements were not working and the city invested 22 million in moving from 147 stores in 14 buildings, to three secure stores, including the 20 million Glasgow Museums Resource Centre.

With a collection of 1.4 million items, Glasgow, like any other major city with significant collections, will see some items being mislabelled or lost during inventory exercises - and yes, some will have been stolen in the past.

However, that all changed in the late 90s, and the objects are more secure now than they ever were.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 1st Feb 2011, 09:55pm
Post #35

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 1st Feb 2011, 12:17am) *
It is called Looting and Plundering anywhere else.

Absolutely I Agree, they've (or someone has) sold the stuff off and now they've "lost it" no way can you lose half a tram, gies a break.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:38pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The missing items will all be in someone's ' Private Collection '.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
GG
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:48pm
Post #37

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Tram Man @ 1st Feb 2011, 05:46pm) *
The items were lost over a 75-year period ...

According to The Herald, the items, donated in 1975, were identified as being in safe storage as late as 1997:

In 1997, he [Dr Macdougall] wrote to the museum to confirm that “everything was in order” and received a letter from a curator, R Smith, acknowledging that the items were located in reserve collections. However, he was more recently informed by the present curator that the items could not be found.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 2nd Feb 2011, 12:57am
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
Whats got me going ; If ye stole a tram where wid' ye put it???

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 2nd Feb 2011, 12:59am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
a know a good place laugh.gif laugh.gif

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Feb 2011, 08:55am
Post #40

Administrator
Group Icon
Glasgow Life yesterday confirmed that a total of 634 items supposed to be under its care are now classed as "unlocated to date". By comparison, a spokeswoman for the City of Edinburgh Council museum collections said none of the items in its care are classified as "missing, stolen or unaccounted for". Similarly, Glasgow University, which has one of the biggest collections in Scotland, holding more than one million objects, said: "There have been no significant instances of theft from the university collections for at least 30 years."

Last week Glasgow City Council published figures showing that the number of Glaswegians visiting the city's museums, run by Glasgow Life, had plummeted by almost a third in just two years. In some deprived areas of Glasgow, as few as one person in 50 now visit a city museum or gallery each year.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 2nd Feb 2011, 10:58am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Anywan ken where I can lift the other half from?

Whoooppsss..... rumbled

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 2nd Feb 2011, 12:36pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
I agree Heather about the high heid yins but can some one explain why these people get paid loads of money for being totally rubbish at their job, manager of RBS is a perfect example. If this

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 2nd Feb 2011, 01:32pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I think; and I hope you'll pardon me for having this opinion, that when one looks at the various characters who have held councillor positions in the City of Glasgow in recent years and the type of people with whom they associated, it comes as no surprise that some of Glasgow's treasures are "unlocated to date".

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
GG
post 2nd Feb 2011, 11:08pm
Post #44

Administrator
Group Icon
Glasgow Life in the news today:

Glasgow Life to shed 300 posts in aim to save 10m

Cuts at culture trust will affect museum service Glasgow Life plans to make 300 posts redundant over a two-year period to save 10.2m over three years.

The trust runs museums, libraries and sport centres for the city council. It has about 3,500 employees, including about 650 museum staff.

"Museums don’t exist as a separate entity, so they will be affected, but not disproportionately," said a spokesman for Glasgow Life.

He added that no facilities would close during the cost-cutting exercise. "We will be looking to increase flexibility among the workforce and at ways of increasing income as part of the savings."

Brian Smith, Glasgow branch secretary of the Unison union, said: "We are concerned about how the council plans to raise this so-called extra income." He warned that industrial action would take place if any of the job losses were made through compulsory redundancies. ...

Full story here:
http://www.museumsassociation.org/museums-...-shed-300-posts

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 3rd Feb 2011, 12:30am
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
I think its a waiting game now.David Dickinsons Real Deal is coming to Glasgow soon and this is bound to draw out the culprits."Any merr ferrs up ra sterrs there?"

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.