Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oops ... We've Lost (most Of) A Tram!, One item not going to the Riverside Museum
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:41am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (ashfield @ 1st Feb 2011, 09:57am) *
I admit to being a bit bewildered about this, how the heck do you lose something this size? ...

I suppose they've checked the Barras rolleyes.gif

I remember years ago doing a contract at British Leyland in Birmingham where a gang of workers had pilfered enough parts to build 12 Range Rovers in the privacy of a home garage.
Where there's a will ... wink.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
greta
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:44am
Post #17

Settling In
Member No.: 6,565
I am not surprised at doctor MacDougall being angry about this, I would be surprised if he wasnt. You would expect people who are in charge of such valuable items to take the utmost care of them. What are these people being paid for ? :: to be incompetent? For goodness sake it is about time that people in charge of Glasgow took responsability for their actions and became accountable.

+Quote Post
serabash
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:50am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,438
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 1st Feb 2011, 09:22am) *
I think the Museums "High heid yins" are dissembling on this issue.When does a loss become a theft?
If they have checked all their estate and there is not trace of the items concerned then clearly the items have had some assistance in getting through the back door.In this case they have a clear obligation and the entire circumstances should be reported to the police as a matter of urgency.
The Curator has a duty of care for the artefacts entrusted to the museum and if they have walked on his watch maybe he should consider his/her position and do likewise.

Totally agree Jupiter but don't think they should be given the chance to walk I think they should be jailed, along with the bankers the MP's and all the other people in privileged positions that see fit to abuse their postions.

+Quote Post
benny
post 1st Feb 2011, 10:55am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Ah had a look oan the Glasgowlife website. Surprise,surprise, there's nae mention of "missing" exhibits amidst aw the usual guff aboot how well they' serve the people of Glesga. Even when ah type "missing tram exhibits" intae their search engine, there are nae results forthcoming.
Ah think the Doc who donated the material should no only get an apology, he should get financial compensation as well - preferably comin frae the salaries of the dumplins who run this outfit.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
**stanza**
post 1st Feb 2011, 11:31am
Post #20

So - these items have not been lost, they have in all probability been stolen.

Surely then it is a matter for the police - has it been reported to them as a potential crime, and if not why not?

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:13pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
QUOTE (ashfield @ 1st Feb 2011, 09:57am) *
how the heck do you lose something this size?

Ash, I was just about to ask the same thing . It is a disgrace some one or several someones should be fired, I would have been if I lost some thing that imporant

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:39pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Has anyone had a look in Embra ?

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
bugatti
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:43pm
Post #23

Unpacking
Member No.: 9,217
Thief is a thief is a thief, so take the lot of them as not just ONE person be responsible for removing these items of not only irreplaceable items, but also expensive too. So to see the cure of this diseased lot fire them ALL and hire a security team and a few workers to maintain the upkeep of them. Search them all as they leave the building at a controlled exit and that exit is used by ALL persons entering and leaving the premises. There is nothing worse than a lazy bunch of thieves that are working in a probably high paid unionized environment and they think they can get away with it. Where was the supervisory element on this so called controlled area? Or were they in on the resale of the stolen goods too?. Like I said, FIRE THE WHOLE LOT AND SEARCH THEIR HOMES AND ALSO SEE INTO THEIR BANK ACCOUNTS OVER THE YEARS TO SEE how much extra pay the got from the sale of the items too. mad.gif

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 1st Feb 2011, 01:50pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Dylan,love it.That notion occurred to me as I was driving home.They must be hot suspects as it looks like the only way they are getting any sort of tram system.
Joop.

+Quote Post
Dylan
post 1st Feb 2011, 02:16pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 3,936
Thank you Joop.

Praise indeed.

--------------------
You don't need a weatherman
To know which way the wind blows

+Quote Post
Gemini
post 1st Feb 2011, 02:40pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 193
Even though I voted for the apology, I don,t think it's enough, this man was raped in a sense by these uncaring curators of the museum, and being an old clippie, I can feel his pain, very very sad.

+Quote Post
Alec05
post 1st Feb 2011, 03:01pm
Post #27

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,270
If those in charge had to go before a court or commitee, to answer for their neglect,and were fined a sum towards stricter security, these thefts would possibly cease. Sure as hell somone has to be held accountable. This should be an acceptible condition of employment.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 1st Feb 2011, 03:06pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The difference is Mary, when we get sacked we only get the salary due to the date of being sacked as well any salary for holidays due to us.

When the high heid yins get sacked, they get thousands of pounds in compensation as well as a massive pension.

The lost/stolen items will have been sold on to other collectors.

The whole lot of those high heid yins working in Glasgow Life should be sacked without any compensation.
In fact, we the Glasgow people should sue them for their mis-management as the items in any Glasgow Museum belong to the Glasgow people.

Now how do we go about getting a Warrant issued for their arrest?? ohmy.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
runningrocker
post 1st Feb 2011, 03:34pm
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,208
Hey Old Sailor,

I dont think that you are an old fogey. I quite agree with you on some of your points and in particular the whole attitude towards things with any historic or sentimental value.
I am still the lower side of 40 and well have had dealing with the people at Glasgow life and the museum before, being a person who is into motor cycles and in particular old British motor cycles.
I was in the process of restoring an old BSA and went to the museum, among other places, to try and get some information on the machine only to be met with an attitude and a passion of disinterest to match. I was in not so uncertain terms asked why a person of my age wanted to be messing around with a bike that was, at that time twice my age.

These are the people who have chosen to supposedly look after history and bring it to life, mmm, what chance do we in the street have if those in the know dont care?

We live in a world today were society believes in the throw away policy, O yes the government goes on about recycling, but i mean throw away as in just get a new one, that one is old.

With attitude like i was met with and the world the way it is there will be nothing left of history, until it repeats itself, and no one will know anything about the past.

It is a disgrace and until we educate and change the world away from the way things are, loses like these will continue to happen and no one will care cause its 'just old stuff anyway'

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 1st Feb 2011, 03:35pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
I dont think anyone should be sacked untill there has been a thorough and proper investigation, whoever stole these treasures are heartless, speaking of heartless people someone stole the relic from a cathedral in Toronto, this relic was placed in embedded marble inside a small glass container at the front of the church for all to view. It was a relic of the true cross, Sad to say nothing surprises me these days.

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.