Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Burns Night: Will You Be Celebrating?, Address To A Haggis And All That
Heather
post 24th Jan 2011, 01:48pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Here you go Dunvegan. UCM= Union of Catholics Mothers.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
frame
post 24th Jan 2011, 01:50pm
Post #17

Super Visitor
Member No.: 2,486
I spent a year in Borneo 1964/65. Almost all of that year was spent in the jungle. Many times on our way to somewhere we would come across tribal people known as the Eban.
Very hospitable people, friendly and always helpful. Mind you, in the past they were ferocious head hunters, a practice they have thankfully banned.
We moved through the river villages on many occasions and often stopped to chat to the dwellers who surprisingly were able to understand and communicate. As you spoke to them they watched your face intently, all of a sudden catching a word that made sense to them, and your question was understood on that one word. Marvelous people.
On one such occasion, we had been in one of the villages for about an hour and were getting ready to pull out when one of our party mentioned Elvis Presley. It caused quite a stir, they nodded their heads and laughed in acknowledgement. a few other names were mentioned but didn't seem to register. Then I said, How about "Rabbie Burns" and they started nodding and laughing again. I was taken completely by surprise.
Here I was, deep in the Borneo jungle in 1964, in conversation with incredible people who lived by the most amazing codes of honour and honesty, knowing very little of the outside world, and they knew of Rabbie Burns. Believe me, I felt a burn inside that could only be described as pure pride.

--------------------
speed bonny boat

+Quote Post
john potter
post 24th Jan 2011, 02:09pm
Post #18

Settling In
Member No.: 6,745
Our Burns night will be held at the Royal St Andrews Lodge ..incorporating The Highlander Pub here in Port Alfred ,Eastern Cape ,South Africa.,In our small village where almost 60% of the folk have Scottish backgrounds some where, We will have 4 other places also having the Burns night dinners and dances, There will be Scottish army uniforms and kilts of all types on show,,worn by x army men and woman also their wifes and husbands,,,mine will be the 1958 Seaforth Highlanders uniform,,Had to let it out old age spread,,Here's tae us. There's nae like us. some's tried, their all dead..

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 24th Jan 2011, 02:12pm
Post #19

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
There are hundreds of Burns Suppers a night in Scotland - it's knowing where to look - hotels, social clubs, bowling clubs, golf clubs, masonic lodges etc. Most will be very well attended, possibly sell-outs months in advance. I have already spoken at 3 Burns Suppers this year so far, the earliest being the Friday after Ne'erday. I will be attending 3 this week and speaking at one of them. The last one I will be attending is 4 March. So, the celebration of Robert Burns is going very strong in Scotland.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 24th Jan 2011, 03:03pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Naw, a'll be too blooterit to celebrate.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 24th Jan 2011, 04:22pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Keep up the good work,JimD
Joop

+Quote Post
**bette**
post 24th Jan 2011, 06:48pm
Post #22

Hi all,

Here south of the border there are some hi fuluting does going on, however my wee haggis has been bought the tatties will be peeled and the neeps mashed. My memory goes to 27 years ago when I was in labour and awaiting a wee rabbie, the labour dragged on and he arrived 34 hrs after the haggis. Hence he was never called rabbie!!!

Have a wee toast all, and to all those who are far from loved ones, whose loved ones have past, a wee dram to them.

cheers & cherrio,
A glasgow girl x

+Quote Post
angel
post 24th Jan 2011, 06:49pm
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I've been only to two Burns suppers , the second because we decided to give the first one another chance, "it did'nt work".

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 24th Jan 2011, 07:23pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
The last couple of years we have initiated English and Spanish friends into the mysteries of the haggis, although it was a lot harder teaching them Burns.

We have a haggis in the freezer ( bought in Insch in September) but the hardest thing here is finding a neep ( swede to the English). Why is this wonderful root only popular in Scotland ?- far superior to English turnip. Champit tatties and basht neeps- wonderful !

Never mind - I´ll have a wee dram o Ardmore malt, or Aberlour - or mibbes baith .

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
*JanetteMcCormack*
post 24th Jan 2011, 08:06pm
Post #25

Yes

+Quote Post
angel
post 24th Jan 2011, 08:08pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 24th Jan 2011, 06:01pm) *
The last couple of years we have initiated English and Spanish friends into the mysteries of the haggis, although it was a lot harder teaching them Burns.

We have a haggis in the freezer ( bought in Insch in September) but the hardest thing here is finding a neep ( swede to the English). Why is this wonderful root only popular in Scotland ?- far superior to English turnip. Champit tatties and basht neeps- wonderful !

Never mind - I&acute;ll have a wee dram o Ardmore malt, or Aberlour - or mibbes baith .

If available, maybe you could use as a substitute, mashed sweet potatoes or yams.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*JanetteMcCormack*
post 24th Jan 2011, 08:08pm
Post #27

Celebrate here in California

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 24th Jan 2011, 08:16pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (angel @ 24th Jan 2011, 09:46pm) *
if available, maybe you could use as a substitute, mashed sweet potatoes or yams.

I guess so but , as you well know, I am a stickler for authenticity. Maybe give it a try though. Thanks.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 24th Jan 2011, 08:16pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Look at this lovely wee find just im time for Burns night biggrin.gif

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-sout...otland-12265197

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
*alan mitchell*
post 24th Jan 2011, 10:55pm
Post #30

Oh aye, o'er here in Sydney me and me mam (stroke an all) will be celebratin" the baird.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.