Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Holyrood 90210: Glasgow Reality Tv, High school fly-on-the-wall documentary
Scotsman
post 3rd Jan 2011, 11:49am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
Why cant parents etc take photos of their children in school plays, yet this TV company is allowed access to the school?

Because Norrie this a cheap stunt by a desperate council trying to divert attention away from the reality that its exam pass rates are the worst in Scotland. Were the parents involved in this tacky decision? I don't think so. Exploitation.... plain and simples!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jan 2011, 03:25pm
Post #17

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (Dexter St. Clair @ 3rd Jan 2011, 01:47am) *
... Englishman Nick ... a Yorkshireman like Nick ...

Oops, Dexter, I forgot that you're not impressed by Englishmen, particularly Yorkshiremen. For your sake, let's hope Nick's not got the cheek to be working class as well! ohmy.gif

For the record, Mr Seaton's full quote is given below:
"This could be a huge distraction [for pupils].

Every school needs to be working on improving standards, not making TV programmes.

The head teacher and the council should have said no to this idea. So many children are obsessed by fame rather than achievement, and this could encourage these sorts of views."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
GG
post 3rd Jan 2011, 03:59pm
Post #18

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (June Macnab @ 3rd Jan 2011, 02:16am) *
... What in heaven's name is the message these 'teachers' and council is trying to send? ...

Hi June,

I'm not sure, as there is not a great deal of information available just now. A 'student group' page has been set up on Facebook with the following information:

Description:

Holyrood Secondary is getting made into a TV documentary. Sounds like a low-calorie version of "The Scheme"... Anyway, let's think of ways to make it more interesting!!

News:

A letter's getting sent out that says something like: Dear parent, as you may have heard, BBC Scotland and Holyrood School are planning to work together to make a 3-part TV documentary over the forthcoming academic year called "High School". The series will follow the stories of several students at the school revealing the hopes, dreams highs and lows of their school lives. While the series aims to be about the students themselves and not specifically about education, there is obvs a lot to celebrate about Holyrood and we;re delighted that we have been approached by the BBC to make such an exciting series. It will be a major pre-watershed (I have no f***ing clue either.) BBC showpiece due to air in Winter 2011. We're beginning the project with 6 weeks test filming to ensure that we're happy with all aspects of production before we commit to film for the whole academic year. If it goes ahead no student will be shown on screen without parental consent and only those who volunteer readily and wish to be filmed for the right reasons will be considered for fuller roles. If your child was to be picked for a main story we would discuss this in person with you. We take privacy very seriously and all children included in the final series must sign a consent form. If you do not wish your child to be shown please complete the form below. (There's a form at the bottom of the letter.)

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Heather
post 3rd Jan 2011, 06:39pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Holyrood has for many years been known as a top class school with pupils achieving excellent results, thanks to the Teachers.

It's been well known for a long time that some parents move into the area so their children can get a place in Holyrood School.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 4th Jan 2011, 03:21am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (June Macnab @ 3rd Jan 2011, 12:16pm) *
I just sat down to catch up on posts and find back to back glasgow guide videos of the x-factor, whatever that is, with scantily clad women prancing about the stage with the usual message - women's bodies are for sale - (and please, please don't tell me C is a great artist and doing this in the name of art!!) --- then some supposed adults and teen agers smoking like chimneys, using foul language and running from the police over drugs (all in front of very young children who nobody seems to pay any attention to) and the girls doing the usual thing and arguing over the pathetic 'boys'!! My God, is the message never going to change? This is as always about exploitation by the few to make big bucks and in the 2nd video it exploits some poor, under educated young women. What in heaven's name is the message these 'teachers' and council is trying to send? And don't mention Elvis in defence - look how he ended up. North America is leading the way in all this debauchery and I am just waiting for the fall of Rome! Again! June Macnab Vancouver Island, B.C.

This would not happen on the Island. Would it? Cant see Canada especially B.C. Being any different from Australia. In school childrens rights to privacy and saftey are sacrosant. Know your hame well have relatives and friends live in Sannich.

+Quote Post
tobruk
post 4th Jan 2011, 03:56am
Post #21

Unpacking
Member No.: 1,028
Please let me inform you that all " reality shows" are not real, why ? you may ask. Because they are there to make money, period . If they were not scripted and/or cut how would a whole day in school, in this case or in a deserted island, fit into a half or full hour on your telly.

Come on Glasgow I was sure the folks, no matter north or south would be much too smart to fall for something that would boost only a couple of egos, while dashing the fragile egos of many.

Happy New Year from Canton Ohio.

+Quote Post
*Sky*
post 4th Jan 2011, 10:41am
Post #22

More rubbish for TV then... can't wait... NOT!

+Quote Post
**belle**
post 4th Jan 2011, 02:55pm
Post #23

Schools should be happy to have an open door policy.

+Quote Post
*Alex*
post 4th Jan 2011, 06:22pm
Post #24

I really wonder whether the school authorities have thought this one through - at any level. What is to be achieved: For pupils? For the school? For the council? How much editorial control does the local authority have?

I live in East Renfrewshire (close to St Ninian's High School) so I know all about the wider issues related to the negative perceptions of Glasgow's schools, but I do wonder if this is the way to go about addressing them.

+Quote Post
penny dainty
post 5th Jan 2011, 06:51am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,591
QUOTE (jimmy g. @ 3rd Jan 2011, 10:46am) *
I think this programme should be screened... it would give parents an insight to what happens when their children attempt to be educated???

Because it doesn't seem to work when i overhear their conversations on buses, in the area of Holyrood School.

Waken up parents!!!

Jimmy G.

I'm wi you Jimmy

--------------------
Dont drive faster than your guardian angel can fly.

+Quote Post
*anton*
post 6th Jan 2011, 01:35pm
Post #26

It is my understanding that a number of staff may have severe problems with this 'scheme' and some have since opted out themselves.

+Quote Post
benny
post 6th Jan 2011, 07:27pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
Don't blame the school, the council or the programme makers - blame the public who have an insatiable appetite for this dross. "Reality TV", whether it's about drug addicts, airports, schools, weddings, jungles, or whatever wouldn't be on the telly if it weren't for those viewers who are obsessed with discovering all the intimate details of other people's lives.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Avenger
post 6th Jan 2011, 11:10pm
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 6,031
Oh, please do show it......

Would love to see these "pupils" in all their so called glory.

+Quote Post
brian432
post 7th Jan 2011, 08:30am
Post #29

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,340
QUOTE (benny @ 6th Jan 2011, 08:05pm) *
Don't blame the school, the council or the programme makers - blame the public who have an insatiable appetite for this dross. "Reality TV", whether it's about drug addicts, airports, schools, weddings, jungles, or whatever wouldn't be on the telly if it weren't for those viewers who are obsessed with discovering all the intimate details of other people's lives.

Couldn't agree more Benny. If people didn't watch this crap, they wouldn't have any reason to make the so called "Reality TV" programmes.

--------------------
Marriage is a relationship in which one person is always right, and the other is a husband!!!!!

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th Jan 2011, 10:39am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
I'm at bit of a loss to see the point of this programme being made but then I've never seen The Scheme, Big Brother or the karaoke programme, X factor. That's not to say that I don't watch rubbish occasionally but I do have standards laugh.gif

If I had children at the school I would be concerned, not least because this programme being filmed, will potentially disrupt their education over the year. Sadly I can see no positives in it going ahead.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.