Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can School Uniform Counter X Factor?, Glasgow academic calls for traditional values
Jupiter
post 30th Dec 2010, 10:52am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Disgusted,I see your point.You dont often see a female singer(SuBo excepted)getting on the stage and a singing her song.Its got to be all or nothing,full on sexual content.A song now must be accompanied by a video to have any impact in the present market.
I just coudnt imagine Sandi Shaw,Cilla,Dusty et al getting up to that.Mind you they had talent and didnt need to resort to gimmicks.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
benny
post 30th Dec 2010, 11:09am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
First of all, let me say that I don't trust child psychologists - or any other kind of psychologist - however eminent. This guy is the first ah've ever heard who has a grain of sense mixed in with the psychobabble.
Yes, I think that trashy TV shows play their part in shaping people's attitudes and their ideas of what is acceptable behaviour, but the trashy telly is only part of the wider scene.
Manipulation and exploitation of a gullible public is an inherent part of our modern society, and the motive is always money. From the "Brand X washes whiter than white" message to the tabloid newspapers that runs interminable stories about the sex lives of "celebrities" - it's all designed to part the public from their cash, whatever the consequences to society as a whole. Who cares if it's legal, decent or true? It sells papers, or attracts viewers.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 30th Dec 2010, 11:27am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
I think the decline goes further back than Xfactor but I dare say that our fathers and mothers were saying the same about us in the 60s
Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
jojax64
post 30th Dec 2010, 11:39am
Post #19

City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,789
It's the American influence we are seeing more and more throughout our society. We are indeed becoming another State of the auld US of A.

--------------------
Nil Sine Labore

+Quote Post
captain
post 30th Dec 2010, 11:59am
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,801
QUOTE (GG @ 29th Dec 2010, 10:13pm) *
One of the country's leading child psychologists has blamed the rise of programmes such as the X Factor on the increasing tide of domestic abuse by children against their parents and other adults. Tommy MacKay, a Glasgow-based professor of psychology, said that the huge popularity of shows where contestants battled each other to become instant celebrities contributed to children being warped by a "cult of self", where the role of traditional relationships was undermined ...

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 30th Dec 2010, 12:02pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Is it just me but what is post 20 about?

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Dec 2010, 12:05pm
Post #22

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Captain,

You can enter a post by using the 'Add Reply' button. Please note that you have clicked the 'Quote' button to quote the original content (truncated) of the first post, but you haven't actually added your own reply.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
farci
post 30th Dec 2010, 12:43pm
Post #23

Visitor
Member No.: 5,346
I think petalpeeps hit the nail on the head
QUOTE (petalpeeps @ 30th Dec 2010, 02:28am) *
... There are also parents out there ,who dont care what their children are doing ,as long as they are not annoying them. I have seen a lot of self centred parents , who as long as they have what they want , their kids come last , then life is great sad.gif . A lot of the bad behaviour that is being talked about ,is actually learned at home for a lot of these kids. Mum/Dad curse and swear at them,each other , so when they grow up , in their turn they curse ans swear at parents .It seems to be accepted in such house holds . Sad really , but true. Some kids just dont stand a chance , and its down to the parents themselves...

Few children were born with a predisposition to potty mouthed behaviour.

Would it surprise you to know that main audience demographic for X-Factor is 'Housewives with Children'?

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 30th Dec 2010, 04:31pm
Post #24

English state schools wear school uniforms. In my time all Scottish state schools wore uniform and you could get 6 of the belt. The kids see these so called instant celebrities. Then model themselves on some of the less talented ones. If a kid misbehaves at school then call the parents in. We need to re-educate some parents but I suspect its a complete waste of time. Maybe we should go back to the old days before comprehensive schools. The bright kids are being held back by many disruptive kids. Back to the X factor. People can just switch over.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 31st Dec 2010, 12:18pm
Post #25

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
As a kid I went to Queen Victoria School Dunblane, This was an Army run Boarding School for the son's of Scottish service men and women as such we had 3 Uniforms, Church Parades, our own School Pipe band that played at the Murrayfield internationals (Rugby) and it was run like a Regiment. Teachers were all Officers. The Guy in charge was a Brigadeer, the Headmaster was a Colonel most teachers were Captains and we also had an RSM and 3 other non coms. Didn't do me any harm except for the fact that I then joined the RAF and ended up living in Germany for 21 years. Uniforms are good X Factor and Soaps aren't.

+Quote Post
Grampar
post 2nd Jan 2011, 02:56pm
Post #26

Settling In
Member No.: 8,673
As a Christian I hold with the Professors view about the loss of influence of the Church. I often watch old reruns of the Two Ronnies, Morecombe and Wise and many of the old sitcoms and it is very noticeable that there are no four letter words and although there is a fair deal of inuendo there is a distinct lack of explicitness as regards male and female genitalia. There were so called comedians in the past whose act was almost totally inuendo but they were nearly all English comics who would have, or did, die a death at the Glasgow Empire. My parents could not afford a a full uniform when I was at senior school bit I did have a white shirt and school tie with gray flannels and a gray pullover and felt like a new pin. I still live near the school I went to and they still have a uniform. The colours have changed but the children, in particular the young adults, look extremely smart.

T.V. has a strong influence on youngsters and there can be no doubt that they listen to foulmouthed entertainers who seem to be constantly knocking the Christain faith and using our Lords name in vain. Particularly in programmes that do not give Christians the right to reply. (There are many Christain entertainers whose acts are as enjoyable as their atheist opposites). They the crass ones, will have a strong influence on vulnerable youngsters who probably have never been inside a church building let alone go to a service or learn about God and make up their own minds about the truth of good and evil, right and wrong and God and the devil. Uniforms and school discipline and more importantly, self discipline will contribute a great deal to a better society but good values, humanist as well as religious ones are being eroded by idiots from the foul tongued Micheal McIntyres of the comedy world to the brainiac Stephen Fry's of the more intellectual media.

If you doubt the influence of good look at Cliff Richard. Once an icon of the younsters of the late fifties and early sixties, and an accomplished entertainer for many decades who, when reaching his late twenties became a devout Christain, but whose name and beliefs are now ridiculed by the so called entertainers of today. Yet he has undoubtedly helped hundreds if not thousands, most of whom may not be Christains but who turned from being rebellious youth to pillars of their own society and were influenced by Cliff as well as their own upbringing. So it will be with this generation of youngsters but their influences will be a lot more uncouth and certainly more aggresively indecent than those who went before them.

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 4th Jan 2011, 08:19pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Tradition and values are only part of the trouble in todays society, if wee look outside the box we can see a much greater problem.http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/2031255133

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 4th Jan 2011, 08:20pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
http://www.myspace.com/video/vid/2031255133

+Quote Post
Heather
post 4th Jan 2011, 09:14pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Here in the East End of Glasgow the children at Primary and Secondary Schools still wear their School uniforms.
I see with my g'children the old habit of changing out of their school uniform when they come home still goes on.

There is too much influence from the so called celebs and the language on TV is a disgrace.
I went right off Billy Connolly because he cannot say a half dozen words with swearing. mad.gif

We also watched the repeats of Morecambe & Wise and we really enjoyed them as it was entertainment without the need to resort to filthy language.

I was taken aback at Christmas when my g'daughter who will be 13yrs old this month, got 'make up' among her presents. When I shook my head in disbelief, I was told I was too old fashioned. wub.gif

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
angel
post 4th Jan 2011, 11:17pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
I am so glad that I am not a teenager in todays society,there is just to much being thrown at them and they are not mature enough to deal with these modern days pressures and for so many of them their peer groups
and it's influences are more important than those of their parents,
and by the same token I do think that in general, today's parents have
a great burden to shoulder, with both working to keep a roof over their family's head and to hopefully have a decent standard of living for them... in my opinion parent are also victims , they are emotionally and mentally exhausted by today's society, so if some should fail their responsiblity as so called good parents, so what ! thats happened millions times over the years and will probably contine to do so in future, I for one am very thankful that my role as a parent is over and very happy just to be a grandma.

As for todays teenagers they will mature in the same way as all of us who were teenagers at one time or another.

ps Heather I guess you and I are probably of the same generation,I remember having make-up when I was in high school, and wore it when I would be going out with friends in the evening or the weekends,... It was great fun and all part of gowing up, I don't think your old fashioned ,I think you just forgot smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.