Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Scrooge Bus Bosses Cancel Christmas, Services cut back as profits treble
droschke7
post 19th Dec 2010, 01:05am
Post #31

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
QUOTE (jamjar51 @ 19th Dec 2010, 12:53am) *
Listen it's Christmas Day and we're no aw Jimmy Johnstone's

As Rod wid chant WE ARE SAILING WE ARE SAILING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Problem is they're not shutting down the Coast Guard for Christmas they are doing it forever, the ConDems have sold the contract for the Coastguard to a foreign private company It'll be like the US, if you need help they'll first ask you if you are insured, if not you can go drown.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
jamjar51
post 19th Dec 2010, 01:13am
Post #32

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,205
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 19th Dec 2010, 12:41am) *
Well I'll bow to your many years of experience in the military and knowledge of how these things function when the boss goes off and leaves a skeleton crew.
Mind you; on second thoughts, it wasn't like that when I served in the RAF and had to work Christmas or New Year. Maybe you served in Fred Karno's forces.
Good ol' Fred! laugh.gif

That's typical of you hiding the facts, Wullie boy can hit the beer cos now you can drop him and family friend Harry Hewitt up fur dinner.

Now put the dinghy back in the shed, I worked on most Christmas days and by god I enjoyed it. I probably exploited it by adding a couple of hours on to the end. Ah did get paid well for it. In fact ah got paid bloody great for it, most of the time the people involved were already gone but they had to be registered as going home at a certain time.

I had to claim I had taken people home at double fare and be taking other people home at double fare at the same time. Let me assure you that the people working christmas are a lot less than actually do work but my pocket knew there were loads working.

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 19th Dec 2010, 01:15am
Post #33

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
As a disabled Ex Service man I have problems walking to the Local shops, (40 yards away) and when I get there can't afford what I need. I therefore have to use Lidl, Aldi and Asda to be able to eat and the only way I can do that is to take advantage of my Bus Pass. I find it extremely offensive for some numpty to make a comment about walking 1 or 2 miles to go shopping and for me to "get off my Fat arse".

--
[I totally agree droschke7, that is why I have deleted the comment. I will now inform the poster that the standard of posts must improve. Sorry. GG.]

This post has been edited by GG: 19th Dec 2010, 10:41am

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Dec 2010, 01:19am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (jamjar51 @ 19th Dec 2010, 12:21am) *
Aw gie's peace, whit dae ye think the helicopter is on call is for, ye don't expect the boys tae sail up after a swally. You hiv been a minion too long. It's christmas, wullie boy is on the wagon and on the copter duty tae fly his pal Harry Hewitt tae the party.

Failing that they could all get on the bevy an wait fur a bus, Benny giein his spiels might jist embarrass a few drivers to get aff their arse an go to work

In order to re-assess the merit of this reply I've had to run it through my Bovine Excrement Indicator ... and the result was as expected. rolleyes.gif

Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 19th Dec 2010, 02:11am
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I still think a Christmas bus service, say every two hours at least, should be a consideration.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
tombro
post 19th Dec 2010, 09:02am
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
If there's no buses, how will the nurses, police, ambulance drivers, fire brigade people get to work. Given the pittance they are paid, I'm sure they don't all have their own cars.

If the interestingly named 'First Bus' can't provide the service, then maybe it's time to give the contract for Glasgow's Bus Services to someone else.

I'm certain Glasgow Corporation, Alexanders and SMT would have provided such services in the past.

Tombro smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 19th Dec 2010, 09:37am
Post #37

I'm just thinking this through.... could this irresponsible decision encourage people to drink drive? After all, the availability of public transport is often used as an additional reason why drink driving can never be acceptable.

+Quote Post
jamjar51
post 19th Dec 2010, 09:39am
Post #38

Lord Provost
Member No.: 9,205
QUOTE (tombro @ 19th Dec 2010, 08:40am) *
If there's no buses, how will the nurses, police, ambulance drivers, fire brigade people get to work. Given the pittance they are paid, I'm sure they don't all have their own cars.

If the interestingly named 'First Bus' can't provide the service, then maybe it's time to give the contract for Glasgow's Bus Services to someone else.

I'm certain Glasgow Corporation, Alexanders and SMT would have provided such services in the past.

Tombro smile.gif

Probably in the same manner as every other year, partner / huband / wife / friend will drop them off and pick them up. I do it most years and never has it created a problem.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 19th Dec 2010, 09:58am
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
It would be interesting to know if this Firstbus policy is being implemented in all the areas where they operate.

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Dec 2010, 10:49am
Post #40

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
QUOTE (tombro @ 19th Dec 2010, 08:40am) *
If there's no buses, how will the nurses, police, ambulance drivers, fire brigade people get to work. Given the pittance they are paid, I'm sure they don't all have their own cars. ...

Interestingly, Tombro, I found the following comment on the STV website making just that point:

People like Kenneth Hide, a staff nurse at The Victoria Infirmary who lives in East Kilbride.

Kenneth told STV: "I will be working on Christmas day. I live out in East Kilbride and for many years I have relied on the 66 bus to get to work [in Glasgow].

"I now hear that there will be no service on Christmas day...this is going to be a very expensive day for me as i will need to go by taxi.

"I find this situation very poor. Just think of the visitors too who rely on public transport.

"The government in Scotland is pushing for green causes but situations like this just encourage people to buy cars as they cannot rely on this so called public transport."

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
benny
post 19th Dec 2010, 11:05am
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
QUOTE (jamjar51 @ 19th Dec 2010, 10:17am) *
Probably in the same manner as every other year, partner / huband / wife / friend will drop them off and pick them up. I do it most years and never has it created a problem.

Let them eat cake, eh? Ah know it might be difficult tae believe, but there are actually still peasants oot there who don't hiv cars, or who don't hiv partners/husbands/wives or friends wi cars available either. The fact that FirstBus makes such an enormous profit proves there are hordes of them usin public transport.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 19th Dec 2010, 11:22am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 19th Dec 2010, 11:36am) *
It would be interesting to know if this Firstbus policy is being implemented in all the areas where they operate.

A quick check on their website indicates the same policy all over.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Dec 2010, 02:49pm
Post #43

Administrator
Group Icon
I checked also, bilbo, and it is not the case that the policy is applied equally across the First Bus network, e.g. Stirling has a limited service on Christmas Day; while quite a few English cities will have a 'Sunday service' on New Year's Day.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 19th Dec 2010, 02:52pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (GG @ 19th Dec 2010, 04:27pm) *
I checked also, bilbo, and it is not the case that the policy is applied equally across the First Bus network, e.g. Stirling has a limited service on Christmas Day; while quite a few English cities will have a 'Sunday service' on New Year's Day.

GG.

OK, GG. I just picked a few at random, including Aberdeen.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Dec 2010, 03:01pm
Post #45

Administrator
Group Icon
No problem at all, bilbo, actually I very much appreciate that you looked.

On a separate point, which arose while I was looking at availability...

It would be easy to say that – if the public is not happy with the service provided by First Bus – they should stop using their services; however, First Bus has an effective monopoly on many routes throughout Glasgow. In fact, there is growing concern about the business tactics employed by First Bus in general, particularly the company's pricing strategy:

First facing investigation after watchdog highlights concerns

High bus fares in cities including Aberdeen have prompted a consumer watchdog to call for an investigation into the market dominance of operators like First.

A bad week for the transport giant got worse yesterday after the Office of Fair Trading highlighted its monopoly of services as a reason why the entire local bus sector outside London required investigation.

While management at the multinational firm’s headquarters in Aberdeen’s King Street continued attempts to resolve a bitter dispute with 460 of its local staff, the OFT referred First and other bus operators to the Competition Commission.

The move came after a five-month probe into UK bus networks which found fares were being increased by an average of 9% ...

Full story here:
http://www.pressandjournal.co.uk/Article.aspx/1361692

See also:
Competition body looks at monopoly claims

Nearly 15 years after the first "bus wars" erupted in the UK with deregulation, the issue of competition in the industry is once again under the spotlight.

The Competition Commission is looking at whether major companies act to deter smaller rivals and drive up fares, and has heard allegations that deliberate, "predatory" behaviour is used to ensure they can act as monopolies.

The industry is also braced for major cuts from the UK Government in autumn, with some warning of a "Beeching-style" reduction in local bus services if fuel rebates are reduced.

Glasgow is one of the most fiercely contested bus markets in the UK, with dozens of small firms competing for routes. The council has entered into a voluntary partnership with First Group – by far the biggest operator – and is seeking to extend this later this year by imposing mandatory standard on the types of buses used on major routes and minimum service requirements.

Full story here:
http://www.heraldscotland.com/news/transpo...-city-1.1045411

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post

7 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.