Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Glasgow: A State-subsidised Backwater?, English historian condemns city on BBC
ginaburton
post 26th Oct 2010, 10:02pm
Post #16

Settling In
Member No.: 8,171
Mr Starkey is like a child seeking attention...just ignore him.

The fact that he is more interested in the history of a fat, misogynistic, adulterous, wife murderer than researching any facts about Glasgow speaks volumes about this insecure little man.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
wee davy
post 26th Oct 2010, 10:20pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,956
wow! Now dont you be hawdin anythin back, gina lol

--------------------
adversus solem ne loquitor

+Quote Post
*Robert James*
post 26th Oct 2010, 10:49pm
Post #18

My Dad was a resident of Glasgow during the early 1900's; a time when the city was at a low-point. He was so pleased to witness it's resurgence years later, as I have been during visits during the past twenty years. Makes one wonder why a person would choose to discredit such a revival; a revival that has won the hearts of many.

+Quote Post
billtkd
post 26th Oct 2010, 10:54pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,014
It is reasonable to be displeased at the snide comments but equally important to correct his error. The myth of "State-subsidised" was debunked long ago. Business centres like central London or middle-class suburbs everywhere are bigger subsidy junkies than Glasgow.

This area is a backwater for manufacturing industry but whose fault is it that factories, coal mines, shipyards and steelworks (like Colville's, which supplied all the steel for VAG) closed?

Besides, the second greatest retail centre in the UK is Glasgow (with cheaper prices than London). I would rather walk through the streets of Glasgow at night than certain other cities, like some parts of south London.

Starkey's qualification is in history. When I was at the respected University of Glasgow, history was often for the mediocre who didn't know what they wanted to do, except spend four years in the beer bar, unless they planned to become history teachers and make a fascinating subject boring. The really intelligent people studied science or engineering. For my doctorate, I found things that no-one else knew. Historians didn't. As a literate scientist, I can teach history. Can David Starkey teach molecular biology? If I seem like an intellectual snob, I have the right because I have done something worthwhile with my qualifications. My working-class upbringing engendered a respect for people everywhere. David Starkey's failed him.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Oct 2010, 11:03pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
That's a notable 1st post Bill. I hope you feel like joining in more often.
Welcome to the boards. wink.gif biggrin.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
billtkd
post 26th Oct 2010, 11:05pm
Post #21

Unpacking
A Brummie, a Glaswegian and a guy from Edinburgh (I'm being polite!) were debating what is the second greatest city in Britain.

The Brummie says "It has to Birmingham because it's the second biggest."

The Edenbugger (Sorry!) says "It has to be Edinburgh. The capital of Scotland, the Athens of the North..." (Goes on for another twenty minutes.)

The Edinburgh guy eventually runs out of steam.

The Glaswegian quietly says "Did you ever stop to consider that it might be London?"

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 26th Oct 2010, 11:12pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
You can stay ... pull up a chair laugh.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 26th Oct 2010, 11:28pm
Post #23

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
Why listen to a moron; Glasgow is staging the next Commonwealth Games in 2014 so he's bloody jealous! As for Henry VIII, does Starkey approve of bigamy/murder? Modern day English, for I can't say anything against the Yorks of yesteryear, [my grandmother being from Sprotsbrough], aren't worth a bloody cracker, and that goes for their Monarchy too! Their only approval of Scotland [Balmoral] shows that they don't know a great deal of Scotia in general.
May God be with all of you
Attached image(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 26th Oct 2010, 11:56pm
Post #24

It is a waste of time replying to such inane remarks. The man is clearly a nincompoop trying to achieve notoriety. As my mother used to say " Do not level your wit to a wean."

+Quote Post
neilb
post 27th Oct 2010, 01:53am
Post #25

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,985
I have the great good fortune to be able to say " I was born in Glasgow "! Due to circumstances, my family moved away from the city in the late sixties. I now live in Yorkshire and recently had the greatest pleasure of visiting Glasgow for the first time in many years. My good lady had never been there before. It was an organised coach trip, but rather than go on the pre-arranged tours, we decided to buy some day passes for the public transport system and strike out for ourselves.
Biggest problem we had, though, is that my wife is disabled and has quite bad mobility problems. We needn't have worried, the staff at STP/subway stations were fabulous.. really friendly and helpful in the extreme ( I must give a special mention to ANN at cessnock subway station, she is a star and always asked how our day had gone when we returned at night...thanks ann) Although only in glasgow for 2 days,We visited museums, parks, 'the barras' and several wonderful pubs during the visit. Glasgow folk are rightfully proud of their heritage and will wax lyrical about their city to anyone who asks about it...whilst strolling along past glasgow green we noticed a section which was set out with poles sticking out of the ground in a symetrycal pattern, a young local man who was out walking with his kids on their wee bikes noticed us looking at them and explained that they were clothes poles erected long ago for the people of glasgow to hang their clothes to dry after having washed them either in the steamie, or in the nearby clyde....he could have just walked on by, but didnt. ....thank you, my friend .
Now to my point....when this pompous historian is finished insulting a great city, perhaps he should turn his attention to his own backyard..... in London, the 'city' is so busy brown-nosing the rest of the financial world, that it doesnt (want?) to see the conditions that many of its inhabitants have to survive...(and here's a wee prophesy, I bet that visitors to the 2012 olympics dont recieve a fraction of the warmth and help we got in Glasgow) After London , mr historian, consider Manchester....Birmingham.....liverpool. Is Glasgow any worse than these places...I know my answer, but when you are dealing with an inveterate anglophile like this...
My wife and I are now looking forward to a longer visit to a wonderful, friendly and hospitable Glasgow again very soon
thanks
neil

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 27th Oct 2010, 07:12am
Post #26

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Starkey says things like this all the time so that he is commented upon. Never have I seen a half wit elevated to such a position in all my life. This guy purports to be a historian, but he either knows nothing of the subject beyond henry the VIII or he is just trying to keep his name in the papers and get himself some more tv appearances.
As to Glasgow being a backwater, it has a dynamic arts community that would soon disabuse him of that idiotic impression. I have recently been involved in the making of a documentary about the Barras, have acted in another short film and am in the process of producing another one, where one of the protagonists is in Fife.
Glasgow is no more a backwater than Starkey's closed mind.
As Jim Royle would say, "Historian my arse">

+Quote Post
billtkd
post 27th Oct 2010, 07:45am
Post #27

Unpacking
Neilb described Starkey as an anglophile. I would add 'anglocentric' and 'anglomaniac'.

He clearly has scotophobia, 'fear of Scots' (which may no longer be a true phobia in his case since it would not be irrational for him to fear getting off the train in Glasgow). However, scotophobia also means fear of darkness. In his case, they are the same thing, evolved from irrational, childish fear of that which you cannot see or appreciate.

On the other hand, as others stated eloquently, he may just suffer from ASB (attention seeking behaviour), which usually evolves from childish fear of not being seen or appreciated.

+Quote Post
Holylochs
post 27th Oct 2010, 07:50am
Post #28

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,723
I live in the 'aude grey town' of KENDAL where Starkey came from. It is the smallest town with the church dominating it of Catherine Parr fame and the river, it is wool trade town and so Starkey has come from a tiny town that is not Glasgow in size as a city.

Hnece coming from Manchester City as lived I have as a boffin the grand scheme of things and not small minded. I long every time to go to my beloved Glasgow.

She is full as nurturing of people who care, who suffer in silence, who have massive culture and history. I recentley dressed graduates of the Open University with their gowns from all over England, Scotland, Ireland and Wales who chose the Concert Hall venue over others.

I too graduated with a medical Masters there in 2008. I also went to the courses of the University of Glasgow and at present want to move from Kendal to here.

So if David Starkey wants to by my Edwardian home for the reduced price of 675.000 he can come home to Kendal and live in his homeland. I can then move to my castle of my choosing or rural environs and teach the Scots and persons the subject of history and the environment.

Such rubbish the famous presenters spout when faced with the camera, it goes to their heads. But as a mere stewardess in the Royal Air Force in the 60's I have seen men in grey suits try to be Royalty as 'impresson management' psyche. They get to think they are the subject they talk of by immersion. That is not how science and history should be taught. It is not so in the villages and towns of Cumbria and Kendal where the farmers sons struggle to survive with second home owners as he would call them 'invaders'.

Clearly, he does not love history as a subject in the purity of it. One look shows you the United States and other countries flock to see the culture and history that is in this great City. I know because I took them on such tours.

I am ashamed as a boffin and historian of one of us being so smug to support the mind of a person who feels omnipotent. Sad really as we need Starkey here in Kendal to live and to work, and to feel his roots, for this is a time of the great depression in all farming community towns that have no industrial base for support. Tourism is the anchor and Wordsworth and we cannot live on poets for food. Nor embittered historians with their own views cast on the waters of literature.

+Quote Post
richard2212
post 27th Oct 2010, 08:36am
Post #29

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,226
As a resident of the dear greeen place for 70 years, I have watched its post-war decline from being the second city of the Empire (in size) in 1951 and a world centre of ship building and engineering.

Travel the world and you will find ships that were built on the Clyde and locomotives that were built in Springburn for example.

So I think we have to accept that the city has declined in terms of industrial significance.

On the other hand, it has become a dear green place again! Who would have thought that the day would come that Glasgow would become a city of culture, a world-class conference centre, a growing financial centre, a significant retail therapy centre and a base for touring Scotland and enjoying any one of its increasingly numerous hotels.

Glasgow has reinvented itself in the face of serious economic challenges, with its citizens showing the same kind of spirit that they always had

And that is why it will never be a backwater.

+Quote Post
gordymac
post 27th Oct 2010, 08:48am
Post #30

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,537
Mr Starkey's media career is dependant on media exposure like this. Otherwise he's just another history academic with a book to punt.
It doesn't really matter what his opinion is, as long as it's controversial, and therefore newsworthy.
Ignore it, and rise above it. His opinion is merely that, an opinion, not a fact.
He's a tit....now that's a fact.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.