Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The End Of The Red Road Flats, Dismantling of Glasgow flats begins
GG
post 14th Oct 2015, 10:11pm
Post #211

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Some photographs showing the start of the final destruction.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 14th Oct 2015, 11:09pm
Post #212

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
QUOTE (Scotsman @ 14th Oct 2015, 11:42am) *
So these bungling pair of buffoons GHA and not the very Safedem are now saying sorry.... they had 7 years to plan for this and millions were spent but still they could not get the job done. The big issue I have that nobody seems to have mentioned yet is way more important than these pair being incompetent at pulling down a few buildings.... and it is that this same bungling pair who 7 years ago told everyone that there would be no problems with the huge amount of asbestos that were throughout the flats. So we had to rely on the weasel words of these bungling buffoons when the environmental experts said this was a disaster waiting to happen. So if the clowns got the simple demolition so wrong then who is to say that they got the far more complicated job of removing the asbestos so right? Any word from those other buffoons in George Square about that one?? Who is standing up for the local people here.... or are the politicians just sitting back hoping this will all blow over just like the Red Road flats refused to??

Has anyone noticed people going around in their big white 'spacesuits'? That's what professional asbestos removers have to wear if it's there in any quantity at all.
There's actually nothing wrong with most asbestos - as long as the surface not touched/damaged/scratched/etc.
I think it's safe to say that the asbestos in these blocks, if it wasn't removed beforehand, has been slightly damaged but only to the extent of blowing it up and spreading across the entire area. I hope no-one living nearby has a chest/lung problem including the kids who are hanging around! I don't suppose they handed out masks either.

+Quote Post
ktv
post 16th Oct 2015, 10:49am
Post #213

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,730
oh my!!!! laugh.gif

blagged off bar/m facebook page

pic by johnny Mcd

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Oct 2015, 05:00pm
Post #214

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (ktv @ 13th Oct 2015, 12:16pm) *
like this...

Thanks ktv, I think you're correct. What puzzles me though is how short the distance appears between those two blocks, but from that height/angle, I suppose that's the effect.

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 17th Oct 2015, 05:04pm
Post #215

Administrator
Group Icon
QUOTE (GG @ 12th Oct 2015, 11:34pm) *
GHA said in a statement: "The original plan for the demolition was that 10 floors of the blocks would remain for dismantling, post blowdown, by machine. However, this did not go completely to plan.

"Over the next few days the contractors, Safedem, will carry out a review to determine the best way of now completing the demolition.

"Residents began moving back into their homes shortly after 6pm, just over an hour later than originally planned. We sincerely apologise to everyone involved for this delay and any additional inconvenience caused."

Safedem managing director William Sinclair said: "Two of the six blocks involved in Sunday's blowdown didn't fall exactly as planned. Instead of 10 storeys remaining in all of the blocks, we now have 13 still standing at Red Road Court and 11 at Petershill Drive.

"However, we will proceed with our original plan of dismantling all of the blocks using routine machine demolition methods. Preparations for this are already under way and high-reach machinery will begin taking down what's left of the blocks this week."

The attached before and after photographs – from roughly the same position – are proof that both GHA and SafeDem were either not 'completely truthful' or didn't know what they were talking about in there post-failure press spins, i.e. no "10 floors of the blocks" remaining for ANY of the Red Road slab or point tower blocks.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Jimmy Hamilton*
post 2nd Feb 2016, 06:11am
Post #216

QUOTE (Peter Langford @ 26th Sep 2010, 03:14pm) *
I worked on the Red Road flats as an apprentice installing the lifts. I was quite an experience climbing up all those floors every day and walking out onto the bare steel beams. I worked on the single towers and recall sitting on the very top and seeing Arran on a clear day. For me it was a great experience being part of the biggest flats in Europe. But when I went back in later years I was shocked at the state of the place. The lifts stank like toilets and I felt sorry for the folk who lived higher up because the lifts were constantly vandalised and out of commission. I remember when they put on the outside facings we were told they were only good for twenty years then would need replacing. What a waste!
Peter Langford

Hi Peter,I also worked as apprentice lift engineer on those same Red Road flats. I was Jimmy Strain's apprentice for about 2 years up there. I worked on all the blocks, Mon-Fri. Tuesday and Thursday night OT and Sat Mornings.

I live in Streetsville, Mississauga. Cheers Jimmy.

+Quote Post
GG
post 19th Sep 2016, 09:33pm
Post #217

Administrator
Group Icon
The Red Road whitewash:
Red Road tower blocks 'too tough' for blast demolition

Some of Glasgow's iconic Red Road flats withstood a demolition blast last year because they were built with steel and were too tough, a report has found.

An inquiry was ordered after two blocks remained partially standing following the blowdown operation in October.

It said the contractor had identified discrepancies between the construction records and the size of steel used.

It concluded that Safedem had followed good practice and was "reasonable" to "err on the safe side".

The Red Road towers were the tallest residential buildings in Europe when they were built as social housing in the 1960s.

Their phased demolition was commissioned by social landlord Glasgow Housing Association (GHA) as part of its plans to regenerate the Balornock and Barmulloch areas of the city.

Previous demolitions took place in 2012 and 2013 and a plan to hold another, as part of the opening ceremony for the 2014 Commonwealth Games, was abandoned due to public opposition.

About 2,500 residents from nearby properties were moved to outside an exclusion zone before Safedem carried out the controlled blowdown on 11 October 2015.

The operation, however, was only a partial success as two of the towers were left partially standing.

A report into the failure concluded: "Safedem appear to have underestimated the robustness of the buildings.

"Whether this was from the explosives view point, the structural appraisal view point or a combination of both, is unclear."

The report said that the Red Road flats, unlike most other UK tower blocks built at the time, had been constructed using steel.

The report stated: "It should be noted that steel-framed residential structures are relatively uncommon in the UK.

"Unlike concrete structures, steel frames do not crush under impact from the debris above and tend to be more robust."

The report said that Safedem had examined "record drawings" from the city archives but found discrepancies between the 50-year-old records and the actual size of the steel columns in the buildings. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-glasgow-west-37406817

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Sep 2016, 07:06am
Post #218

Whitewash? What qualifies the Webmaster to dismiss a news article regarding a technical report as a whitewash?

It would appear that there is no field in which he does not regard himself as an expert.

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 20th Sep 2016, 03:26pm
Post #219

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
So.... if like they say that they misjudged it and the blocks were built with the same materials then how come some of them fell and some stayed standing??

Something sounds fishy to me!!

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 20th Sep 2016, 06:35pm
Post #220

Another bliddy expert to whom Moby Dick would smell fishy nae doobt!

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 21st Sep 2016, 06:34pm
Post #221

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
I dare say there were discrepancies from the drawings but surely while preparing the building, the steelwork would have to have been exposed

+Quote Post
GG
post 21st Sep 2016, 10:05pm
Post #222

Administrator
Group Icon
Exactly, Norrie. The company – SafeDem – had no need to rely on consultation with "record drawings" during the planning stage, as they had literally years to examine the exposed steel beams at very close range. The nonsensical claim that they "had identified discrepancies between the construction records and the size of steel used" is, as I mentioned above, a whitewash. But it's more than that: it besmirches the memory of the brave construction workers and the steel forgers by insinuating that somehow they allowed the building of some of the blocks to go systematically 'off-plan'. Disgraceful.

And, anyway, even if what SafeDem retrospectively conjured up was true – about discrepancies between the records and the reality – then the company is still at fault for not establishing this before calculating the amount of explosive required. See the photo below. No further explanation required.

Photo copyright: the excellent urban photographer, Chris Leslie.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post

15 Pages V  « < 13 14 15
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.