Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Councillor Plans To Axe Children's Fruit, Blow to health and wellbeing in Glasgow
wellfield
post 31st Aug 2010, 03:42am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
No matter where in the World you live,you must VOTE! VOTE! VOTE!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 31st Aug 2010, 05:25am
Post #32

...impoverished, inadequate and already-struggling education system in this city.

Perhaps that is a good case for diverting funds into front line education services like teachers and teaching materials and allowing parents to provide the kiwi fruit. But isn't that what Baillie Matheson is doing?

+Quote Post
*joe kearns*
post 31st Aug 2010, 06:36am
Post #33

So a few people are not in favour of subsidised food to children !

Then what about our councillors and ex-councillors, they are given highly subsidised food and drink. They take it as a right ( perk ) If it was stoped they would expect a PAY INCREASE. One told me he would have to go around charity shops for clothes for the winter. Ops welcome to the real world.

+Quote Post
campsie
post 31st Aug 2010, 04:52pm
Post #34

Super Resident
Member No.: 8,874
QUOTE (Guest @ 30th Aug 2010, 06:54am) *
Why is it my responsibility to feed other people's kids?

It's not your responsiblity to feed other people's kids, but these kids are our future and if we can help them make healthier choices for themselves the cost comes later with less ailments later. Have you heard of 'the cup of human kindness' let's hope you or yours are never in need.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 31st Aug 2010, 05:10pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (fefe55 @ 29th Aug 2010, 11:28pm) *
The usual "Dick Turpin" style, rob the poor, give to the rich...

Why am I not surprised? Hell mend the A"£%^S who voted this load of swines into power, obviously, Thatcherism was forgotten on polling day, now we are landed with them for god only knows how long.

I have no time for polititians, councillors, MP's etc, I think that they are just a bunch of human parasites who feed on others misfortunes and promise you everything to get a seat, then conveniently forget that you got them there, should be like a job, with a 13 week trial, if you dont live up to what you promised, you should be fired.

While I agree with your sentiments regarding politicians in general., I must have missed the tories gaining control of Glasgow City Council.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 31st Aug 2010, 05:35pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (bilbo.s @ 31st Aug 2010, 07:12pm) *
While I agree with your sentiments regarding politicians in general., I must have missed the tories gaining control of Glasgow City Council.

Mair chance of the Klingons getting control than the tories rolleyes.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 31st Aug 2010, 05:51pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (ashfield @ 31st Aug 2010, 08:37pm) *
Mair chance of the Klingons getting control than the tories rolleyes.gif

Klingon rule ? Surely worth a try ! Could it be any worse ? laugh.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 31st Aug 2010, 07:31pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
I remember when i wis at school the poor wee buggers that wore the parish claes wie there herringbone pattern these poor wee devils stood oot like a sore erse they got free meals an aw ,but i wonder what would have happened if a cold blooded eejit like Mathison had abeen in charge o cooncil policies at that time .

These same people who always seem tae be flying o ower the world on some so called junket or other ''at the tax peyer's bluddy expense '' and who are never slow to claim there expenses be they genuine or not ,are not slow when it comes tae axein some sort o monies set aside fer the benefit o the aged or in this case the young,lets face it theres some kids who come fae certain kinds o backgrounds where any monies that are goin in there homes are spent on mammy an daddy,s fags, alcohol and bingo nights... These kids widnae know the taste o an apple or an orange if not fer this wee handoot , so shame on people like Mr Matty stone hearted numpties like him iwies seem tae wangle there wie intae soft cushy jobs.

An ahm afraid things are only gonna get worse,jasus on reflection we now have the Torys back in power and there latest policies urnae lookin too good there efter my bus pass, there efter my heating allowance ,whit next, asked tae sweep mah street wance a week so saving the cost o overtime fer oor overextended clenny department mad.gif rolleyes.gif

+Quote Post
**Crighton**
post 31st Aug 2010, 09:38pm
Post #39

Instead of Counsillors spending the money on free junkets abroad to look at how other inner cities work - ie free trips to nice cities- and fancy council cars to take them up the street and back, freeby lunches etc let the children get their free fruit to educate them about healthy eating etc. My 8 year old gets her free fruit and counts it in with her 5 a day, she knows healthy eating reduces the risk of heart disease and diabetes etc already at age 8. What else worthwhile do the Counsillors do? They don't provide proper PE teachers in every school if the numbers don't tally, they don't provide music lessons in certain schools whereas others benefit greatly from this. So for goodness sake keep up the free fruit and give us something worthwhile from your ridiculous decision making policies. Your destroying the goodness we have built up in this Country. The NHS is on its knees and now the schools are heading the same way. We no longer are the envy of other countries we are to be pitied with our poor, uneducated idiots who think they are running the country, pathetic fools that they are who presume to bully us into submission in every walk of life nowadays.

+Quote Post
don.stuart
post 31st Aug 2010, 10:22pm
Post #40

Settling In
Member No.: 6,063
What kind of people are they who vote to take apples from the mouths of kids.MPs Councillors, CEOs all have their fingers in the pie and never a word of cuts from them. Sports people get disgustingly huge amounts of money, and no doubt millions in aid are sent abroad yet we deprive our own school kids. The Councillors should be lynched.

+Quote Post
**greumach**
post 31st Aug 2010, 11:29pm
Post #41

Scotland - one of the oil rich countries of the world - and LABOUR politicians pulling the plug on one of the most successful schemes for giving kids who need it some source of nutrition and well being! - But the numpties will go on voting them in!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 1st Sep 2010, 12:48am
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The people who vote to make decisions are the very ones voted in by your ordinary Joe.I dont think it would matter which political party was in power just now as they all would be faced with the same stark fact that there is no money in the pot.The well is dry,the pies just an empty casing.
What do you do when you have no money?You cant spend it.What if your credit card is maxed out?No more credit.Thats the reality of life in the UK now.If the council is bringing in for example £50000 a year and its expenditure is £55000 it is going to have to make cuts to balance the books and repay the interest on the accrued debts.
No more tick.
Credit crunch.
Fruit for the kids?Im all for it but if a parent thinks its so important for a childs development,and it is,well the parents should supply it.Its not the most expensive commodity in the world and the parents will get that additional buzz of contributing to their childs welfare.
My kids had a piece of fruit in their lunch box every day,no big issue there.They would,undoubtedly have liked a mars bar or a crunchie every day but that was an occasional special treat.
Joop

+Quote Post
benny
post 1st Sep 2010, 08:42am
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,059
If there's nae money in the pot, then we should stop the people wi ladles frae dippin intae it before we stop the people wi teaspoons. When Glesga cooncillors gie up their ain perks an stop fritterin public money away oan festivals like Glasgay, time enough tae start thinkin aboot takin food frae the mouths o weans.

--------------------
Derea derego fortibus es in aro

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 1st Sep 2010, 08:55am
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
Im interested to know exactly what it is that councillors do to fritter away money.I certainly dont think that pulling funds from a parade(if they do) would make any difference.
I do think that parents should step in and ensure their kids have a bit of fruit.Simple solution for this situation.

+Quote Post
Elma
post 1st Sep 2010, 06:03pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
Exactly Joop, thank goodness for the voice of reason.

+Quote Post

10 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.