Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Billy Connolly Gets Freedom Of Glasgow, The Big Yin humbled by award
bilbo.s
post 21st Aug 2010, 01:38pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (wee davy @ 21st Aug 2010, 04:40pm) *
ye kin fer me, bilbo - bit be careful - ye might be fer the high jump, pal! ah kin see the bizzies comin doon the lane noo fur ye! hahaha

you must be oan yer umtydumtyeth warning lol laugh.gif

Ye cannae git rid o me that easy tongue.gif Onyweys, onybody can fun it oan Youtube easy eneugh !

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 21st Aug 2010, 01:38pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Well done to Billy Connolly, possibly not everyone favourite person but I like him.

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
carmella
post 21st Aug 2010, 01:45pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
I am absolutely delighted that the Big Yin got this award - and well deserved in my opinion.

I think he is so funny, if I'm ever feeling down he is about the only person who will instantly cheer me up.

Well done Big Yin.

--------------------
It is possible to fail in many ways...while to succeed is possible only in one way.
- Aristotle

+Quote Post
**Oldsmiddy**
post 21st Aug 2010, 01:57pm
Post #19

Congratulations Billy, I'm a big fan, you're so multi-talented, saw you about 30 years ago when you appeared at a school auditorium in Oshawa, & I remember you said, "I wonder what this toon looks like, as I've never seen it, I'm always arrivin' in the dark" you were wearin' your banana boots then, & I'll always cherrish the fact that I saw you live. A long life to you Billy.

+Quote Post
**Helen**
post 21st Aug 2010, 03:07pm
Post #20

My congratulations to Billy Connolly.... I can identify with most of his stories of Glasgow.... tells it like it was.... and is not ashamed of his poor beginnings in fact his being able to laugh about it and magically does the same for his audiences.... I was born in Bridgeton.... lived through WW11.... I would not change my birthplace that wonderful little piece of Real Estate called Bridgeton which allowed me to pull myself up by my bootstraps.... move on to better circumstances.... and yet my heart still belongs to Glasgow..... At 72 my memory may fail me a little.... but just listening to one of Billy's DVD's bring back such wonderful memories of my childhood.... thank you Billy.... Helen in Canada.

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 21st Aug 2010, 03:18pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
I agree he did make you laugh and was funny,
But when he played in Vancouver in the 76,
The people were walking out in discuss, i think it was the Profanity {spelling sorry]

I can think of lots of other Comedian who never received the freedom of Glasgow,
wub.gif

+Quote Post
glasgow lass
post 21st Aug 2010, 03:49pm
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,697
Congradulations Billy, he may seem a little untamed ,,,,,, but are'nt aw Glesga men rolleyes.gif biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
**Maisie Egger**
post 21st Aug 2010, 04:06pm
Post #23

Maybe Bill Connelly needs to rethink his claim when interviewed in the defunct Weekly News aeons ago that he never felt he belonged to Glasgow until Celtic won some sort of notable football match. He expanded on this about growing up in Glasgow and always felt that because of his religion he felt as if he were an outsider. Well, whatever his hang-up was it didn't stop him from getting a job in the shipyards, and then going on from there capitalising on Glasgow humour that he grew up with. I can't stand his predilection for interjecting a foul word at every opportunity. The most entertaining people I know don't need to resort to such gutter talk. Nope! Glasgow shuld have given more thought to "honouring" someone who didn't think much of Glasgow early on.

+Quote Post
**JUNGLEBOY 1958**
post 21st Aug 2010, 04:27pm
Post #24

Gawn yersel bigyin it's aboot time ya was honoured by yer ain kinna folk. I fished with the bigyin many years ago when he stayed at Drymen.

+Quote Post
annie laurie
post 21st Aug 2010, 05:48pm
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 73
NAW GL I DONT AGREE WITH YOU THERE

He is funny I will admit, but like I said there is a lot of good people out there that i can think of who deserve it more, wub.gif

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 21st Aug 2010, 05:54pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Congratulations Billy, it has been a long time coming for you !

Don't Change .

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Elma
post 21st Aug 2010, 06:00pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
We went to see him every time he was in Vancouver and even took our children, teenagers then, with us. We even bought his record (yes record!) every time too. Well done Billy, I always enjoy him when I see him on TV.

Just last weekend I saw his Blue Ray DVD of his "Journey to the top of the World" where he journeyed from Nova Scotia to Vancouver Island by way of the Northern Passage. It was excellent and although it wasn't a comedy he did manage to bring his sencse of humour to all that he saw and met.

+Quote Post
auldbutcher
post 21st Aug 2010, 06:42pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,459
ta davy ahl member that wink.gif

+Quote Post
witshisname
post 21st Aug 2010, 07:54pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,055
Congratulations ''Big Yin'' a very well deserved award.

--------------------
If I don't see ye through the week,I'll see ye through the windae

+Quote Post
Jim D
post 21st Aug 2010, 08:01pm
Post #30

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 91
What a good number of people don't realise is that the big yin was one of the 1st alternative comedians. He didn't tell gags, he told funny stories or observations.

I was out in Glasgow yesterday with guys that I started work with 30 years ago. We were killing outselves laughing at some of the things that happened to us back then. Billy was clever enough to remember his stories or somebody elses stories and used them on stage.

--------------------
Jim D

Nemo Mortalium Omnibus Horis Sapit - NO man is at all hours wise.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.