Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A National Scandal At Wallace's Well, Damage at site of national importance
**Harrymc**
post 8th Aug 2010, 08:11pm
Post #61

Like others I lived in Barmulloch and often cycled out to Wallace's well. In later years I walked with a girlfried to the monument when we were "winchin'" and in those days we learned a bit about the history of Scotland and the role Sir William Wallace played in it. There was always something special about being in a place where such a great predecessor had trodden.

How sad that the modern day "Powers or should that be Pygmies that be" fail to appreciate that in order to understand the present it is essential to have some sense of the past and those who helped shape us into what we are. Sadly, we have a political elite who seem to believe that our history is something for which we should apologise and eradicate from our lives.

I have drawn attention to the onslaught of property developers and the plight of the Wallace features in particular on the Reminiscences of oldspringburn site in the past as when I visited last year I was astonished to find we actually drove past the monument having failed to recognise the location due to the encroachment of housing. Much has changed since our childhood days but surely it's a disgrace that these historical places are not protected and celebrated.

Glasgow and Scotland deserves better than this !!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 16th Aug 2010, 06:21am
Post #62

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
If ever there was a reason to preserve Scotland's historical links with William Wallace, it is this story from last week:

Cheryl Cole is more well-known than William Wallace

Kids know more about celebrities like Cheryl Cole than national hero William Wallace, according to new research.

A poll of 1,000 nine to 11-year-olds found 91 per cent recognised the X Factor judge, but just 28 per cent could name the legendary Scots freedom fighter.

The organisers of this month's Festival of History in Lanark, who ran the poll, warned ignoring our heritage "deprives pupils of a full education".

See: Lanark 2010
http://www.lanarkmedievalfestival.co.uk

Be transported back in time to the days of the Roman Legions, the marauding Vikings and the medieval battles of William Wallace and Robert the Bruce.

Meet the 15th century mercenaries and nobility, the Marquis of Montrose and his men, the participants in the Jacobite rebellions, the Napoleonic soldiers back from the wars, and the soldiers of the Great War and World War 2.

Discover history through the ages with more than 40 activities spanning over 1800 years of history.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 16th Aug 2010, 11:33am
Post #63

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
many here have spoken about pictures of Glasgow old and new, if you want to see them there is a website called Hidden Glasgow where lots of old and new photo's have been posted.

www.hiddenglasgow.com if you then look for forums and then Photo sharing there are many photo's for you to enjoy both old and new, and Black and white or colour.

+Quote Post
*Colin McKenzie*
post 28th Aug 2010, 10:27am
Post #64

The William Wallace well has to be properly maintained. William Wallace gave his life for Scotland and his courage and determination has made us Scots the determined race that we are.
The pride that I and many others have in being a Scot comes from the likes of Wallace, The Bruce, Burns, Carnagie and others.
If in Scotland we do not honour William Wallace and his last place prior to being betrayed then we should hang our heads in shame.
Wallce is Scotland and Scotland is Wallace.
Let us plan a way to save the well.
There are some things that go beyond profit and this is surely one of them.
I thank God for William Wallace.

+Quote Post
*Sheila Maclean*
post 28th Aug 2010, 11:05am
Post #65

Somebody, somewhere is keeping a very low profile about this ultra important site. Where is the councillor, the representative from Historic Scotland, MP, etc etc. asked to explain to the people of Scotland, to look them in the eye and tell them their history is of no great worth. To let the rest of the world know they are prepared to bulldoze our past, in full knowledge of its importance. To be forever held in hatred as the person who committed the ultimate act of vandalism. Face to face. Beamed around the world. Offer a reasonable explanation. Justify their ignorance. Scotland has had her share of traitors as we well know. But is the boss at Historic Scotland Scots? Who is he?

I suggest the moment a bulldozer is on site direct action is taken, like the elder gentleman with mobility problems, we will be there - because we OWE. For too long we have accepted decisions to erase our history and manipulate our future. The lack of proper teaching in schools. The attempt to obliterate the Gaels and their ancient language, the Clearances, the emigrations forced or otherwise, the cannon fodder for every European war over the past 300 years. Yet we survive through love of our nation.

Wallace's Well and Monument will survive with dignity and space around it to breathe - because we OWE our allegiance to Wallace as patriots and guardians.

+Quote Post
**jean**
post 29th Aug 2010, 09:19am
Post #66

I happened upon Wallaces' Well by accident about 15 years ago and was so excited. No-one I knew was aware of its' existence and it should most definitely be protected and made a landmark. Beginning to believe he is still being sold out by those who should protect him and the amazing story of his life. Maybe its time to call on Mel Gibson - ! it is shameful how our poor grasp on history has led to mass apathy... I will be writing to the councils and Historic Scotland to protest. I also would take part in a protest march...

+Quote Post
*John MacLennan*
post 29th Aug 2010, 06:50pm
Post #67

Shame on the Glasgow City council, this is a sad day when a link to our past can be so easily destroyed.

+Quote Post
GG
post 5th Sep 2010, 08:06pm
Post #68

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A reply to this topic sent to me by email:

I agree with all the comments against the development around Wallace's Well - if we do not keep these historic sites safe, there will be nothing to teach the children of the future about the past and for them to view these historic sites. Unfortunately, these gung-ho young architects can only see pound signs and how much money it can make them, and have absolutely no thought for the preservation of anything. It's happening all over the world and all this "new" architecture, which has absolutely no 'feeling' or class about it, is being put up amongst the beautiful, old, historical buildings and, nine times out of ten, it looks so awful.

Just have a look at Federation Square in Melbourne, Australia - it is the most hideous and embarrassing building I've ever seen. Even the new soccer stadium in Melbourne is designed to look like soccer balls, but approaching it in a car, it is an eye-sore.

As an aside, I believe that the building at No. 2 Willowank Cres, Glasgow, where I was born, has been pulled down and a 'park' is now there. I do not know if it is only No. 2 which has been pulled down, or if other parts of that row of tenements has gone, but I'd like to know why they pulled it down. The last time I was there it was full of people; where do these people go if their house is pulled down? For what reason was it done?

Anyway, let's keep and preserve Wallace's Well; I know Scotland needs more housing but, if they must build houses nearby, set up a special area around the Well, fence it off to protect it, have a plaque installed so visitors will know what is and why it's there, and even have bollards put on the road side so cars will not hit the stone wall - once it is re-built, and it should be re-built.

Liz.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 16th Jan 2011, 04:44am
Post #69

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
What brought on the attack on Melbourne and its world renowned square. Its soccer ground, paid for by state taxes for a game that is supported by a small minority of Melburnians? Melbourne has been awarded the most livable city in the world at least 5 times by various international bodies in the fields of travel and demograpics.

Do I detect a whiff of schadenfreude or just plain old jealousy.

+Quote Post
*Lazarus*
post 16th Jan 2011, 08:26am
Post #70

What Wallace did for Scotland was tiny in comparison to triumphs of Donald Dewar. That is why the city fathers could find the money to pay for such a fine statue in Buchannan Street. Wallace Well is simply not required when we have such a fine and universally loved effigy in front of the concert hall.

Dewars name shall tower large over Scotland for centuries, long after Wallace has been forgotten. Indeed Dewar is the true icon of Scottish identity, inspiring in every way, and deserving of such fine monument.

Or, then again, maybe he just joined the right party...

+Quote Post
Dunvegan
post 17th Jan 2011, 01:08am
Post #71

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,038
QUOTE (Lazarus @ 16th Jan 2011, 06:04pm) *
What Wallace did for Scotland was tiny in comparison to triumphs of Donald Dewar. That is why the city fathers could find the money to pay for such a fine statue in Buchannan Street. Wallace Well is simply not required when we have such a fine and universally loved effigy in front of the concert hall.

Dewars name shall tower large over Scotland for centuries, long after Wallace has been forgotten. Indeed Dewar is the true icon of Scottish identity, inspiring in every way, and deserving of such fine monument.

Or, then again, maybe he just joined the right party...

If thats the Dewer of Dewers Whisky fame, I'd be inclined to agree. However it was wallace who kept alive the flame and his importance in respect of national pride, in the face of Anglo Norman and so called Scott Norman depravity and perfidy can not be over looked.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 17th Jan 2011, 01:54am
Post #72

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Wallace for me.

Attached Image

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 3 4 5
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.