Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A National Scandal At Wallace's Well, Damage at site of national importance
*AnnMc gettigan*
post 31st Jul 2010, 05:38pm
Post #16

This is an absolute disgrace, I lived in wallacewell road for years and we were so proud to live near this historic site they should leave it alone and make it so everyone that knows about it from all over will come and visit it. I live in England now but if I was there I would get everyone together to protest.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ladihelen
post 31st Jul 2010, 05:46pm
Post #17

Visitor
Member No.: 5,756
I lived in Robroyston and even in the fifties that place was a tryst .Young folk walked these roads on a Sunday in fellowship groups and not much danger either as traffic was sparse. We would walk to the well even have a wee drink and walk back. Clean air and friendship all gone now as the fields are all covered with houses bigger than we were used to. Every one with two cars I can't walk now but as a previous chap said we can't just sit and let this happen.

Are there any true Scots in the council ?

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 31st Jul 2010, 05:49pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
QUOTE (angel @ 31st Jul 2010, 07:44pm) *
When apathy rules you get the city council you deserve, same goes for governments.

Well there is little apathy apparent on these boards. Maybe that is why we are all here. If ye donīt care, ye micht as weel be deid!

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Strangelove
post 31st Jul 2010, 07:41pm
Post #19

Unpacking
Member No.: 82
I wonder. Here in the states, we have a group called the Civil War Preservation Trust. It's a private organization which raises money and then purchases sections of land where the battles took place. Is there something similar in Scotland? If not, perhaps there should be?

My partner and I visited Glasgow back in 2002 for only a few days. I thought anything having to do with Wallace was too far away. Didn't know there were sites nearby.

Rob Schellinger
Descended from Wemyss

--------------------
HOLLY: Look, we're travelling faster than the speed of light. That
means, by the time we see something, we've already passed through it.
Even with an IQ of 6000, it's still brown trousers time.

+Quote Post
rumour6
post 31st Jul 2010, 08:37pm
Post #20

Unpacking
Member No.: 8,350
This is a disgrace, both on my part for not knowing and on the Councils' part for not making me aware. At least I didn't vote for them. Does anyone know who the MP responsible for the area is? I need to drop them a note...

Andy (Weegie defector in Embra)

+Quote Post
*Andrew Bairden*
post 31st Jul 2010, 10:04pm
Post #21

My father's name was John Wallace Bairden

+Quote Post
joemac5
post 31st Jul 2010, 10:56pm
Post #22

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,441
You were right in saying I never knew this monument existed, and I was born and bred in Maryhill not a stones throw away from the site. I think every concievable avenue should be explored, to make this historical site safe from invasion by developers. When I next visit Glasgow I will make a point of visiting Wallaces well, he was our greatest hero and should never be forgotten.

+Quote Post
**chippyjim**
post 31st Jul 2010, 11:19pm
Post #23

born auchinairn rd 19 40 glasgow corpy never botherd about the well remember its not a labour thing are the labour party not pro uni not nats thats why its not got funding remember englands labour party tells the central belt of labour what to do or suffer its wrath chippyjim.

+Quote Post
RonD
post 1st Aug 2010, 12:19am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
It was not unusual for our family to walk to Wallace's Well on a Sunday evening in the summer from Auchinairn. I remember as a kid in the fifties looking down the well even then and saying why did people litter on such an historic site, don't they care?... I guess they don't!

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 1st Aug 2010, 01:35am
Post #25

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
It would be an utter disgrace if this Well DID fall! C'mon lads, show the powers that ye have pride in your history and save the well and Wallace's memory!

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 1st Aug 2010, 03:22am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
As I mentioned before in reference to' Wallace's Well' (Where I frequented many a time, I lived close by)..... Being as Scotland's major industry is tourism and the making of the 'Mel Gibson' movie 'WALLACE' a few years back, you'd think that the FOOLS that are in charge of Scotland's HISTORIC sites would have cashed in on this fact.... seems to me the people in these offices lack the drive it takes in this modern world.... I picture them sitting there glub as hell with their 20 year old cardigans reekin' o' pipe smoke living on Scotlands past glory!.... (I have signed petitions on this subject before).

+Quote Post
weebren3
post 1st Aug 2010, 04:42am
Post #27

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,440
I am A proud scots. Love our History, and yes to reply to person who as guest post#12 makes stupid remarks that children of Glasgow probably did not remember history. Well I was educated like most and took in all of our countrys history, this is 2010 my children know our history allso my grandchildren, so dont post without your name and make remarks like you did, you insult us all and it does not give credit to our parents. My history teacher was one of the best. Everyone has A right to say what they feel, but I take offence to remarks tha are not called for. I feel the wallace clan should be shouting out regarding the well, there must be A protest with all scots, but those who claim to be of the wallace family line must fund as all of us do to protect past and present history. Was there not enough money from all the products and movie of Braveheart, which the wallace family received, prove you are all proud scots, now and allways. Take Pride as part of our heritage too.

+Quote Post
sumac
post 1st Aug 2010, 09:55am
Post #28

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 3,359
I am so proud of being Glaswegian. I think our city is beautiful, its people the friendliest and most accepting of any differences, and I am so proud of our city now. BUT I find it unacceptable that our history and heritage are being trampled to death in the rush to be cosmopolitan and cultured.

Money always wins every time. The nice big houses will rake in hundreds of thousands - no, millions! - for developers and, of course, Glasgow itself. Our historical monuments bring in nothing - because tourists don't know where they are. They are unmarked, unkept and often vandalism is left unchecked.

Historical Scotland should be ashamed of itself, allowing a listing to be dropped. Glasgow's City Fathers should be thoroughly ashamed of themselves for allowing our history to be cast aside. Don't these people see that they could make some of that filthy lucre by making our historical sites tourist attractions? Clean them up, signpost them, print information about them, with directions on where they are, treat them with great respect, and the money they will have to shell out to do these works will come rolling back in to them!!! Surely someone in authority knows this?

I think Scots should unite and protest the decimation of our heritage. As others have said, other cities, towns, countries of the world have shown pride in what THEY have. Why can't we?

I feel so powerless!

--------------------
Ah don't hear sae well withoot ma specs

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Aug 2010, 10:17am
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (wellfield @ 1st Aug 2010, 04:32am) *
.... I picture them sitting there glub as hell with their 20 year old cardigans reekin' o' pipe smoke living on Scotlands past glory!....

I consider them contemplating their next line while working out which, children frequented, route would be the most suitable for the next big alco-pop advertising bill-board; bringing yet another opportunity to line their own pockets; probably across from the bus stops at the new housing schemes ... shielding that unsightly heap of stone where Wallace was betrayed.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 1st Aug 2010, 10:44am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (weebren3 @ 1st Aug 2010, 05:52am) *
... and yes to reply to person who as guest post#12 makes stupid remarks that children of Glasgow probably did not remember history ... so dont post without your name and make remarks like you did, you insult us all .

No, guest does not insult us all.
Guest did make some good points in his/her post.
Naturally it's almost impossible to imagine that there might be Scottish children, even in Glasgow, who may not have heard of Wallace, especially after the Braveheart film, but how many children really appreciate the history of the man or his time?
When I visited Edinburgh with my German mate last year we couldn't help but feel that there was hardly a lot of Scotsmen around as the place was teeming with tourists. In Glasgow, on the other hand, when you moved away from George Square (middle of the day) you could almost hear your footsteps echo in empty streets.
Maybe if we'd popped in for a pint or two ... no, forget I said that rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.