Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> A National Scandal At Wallace's Well, Damage at site of national importance
GG
post 31st Jul 2010, 12:27pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
In a Scotsman newspaper article from February 2003 reporter James Doherty warned readers of the threat of bulldozers to one of the most important medieval sites in Glasgow, Wallace's Well. The article describes how the well, from which William Wallace drank his last drink as a free man, could simply disappear overnight after Historic Scotland, supported by Glasgow City Council, removed the historic site's listed status.

At the time of the article the late David Ross, a highly-respected expert on William Wallace, claimed that the council had consistently refused to signpost the well (and the nearby Wallace Monument) because of party political reasons. Mr Ross said:

"It would be a tragedy for Scotland if we lost this historic site. It is one of the few remaining tangible links that we have with our national hero. Every six months, housing gets nearer and nearer and you can now spot it from the well itself.

It's only a matter of time before it gets right up to the well, and then what? Will another slice of Scottish history disappear? Only in Scotland could such a fact be contemplated. In countries like France and America and even England, they preserve their past much better than we do.

In those countries, they would build a visitor centre and make it a national attraction. If we lose Wallace's Well, it would be nothing short of a national scandal."

Since 2003, two large housing developments have been constructed near the well, bringing a huge increase in car traffic. In the absence of proper signposting – or any effective traffic calming measures – the wall around the well has been repeatedly hit by vehicles, resulting in continual damage to the site. The photographs below show the damage a couple of weeks ago:

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Further damage can be viewed at the Robroyston Wallace Monument website on the Wallace's Well page.

As if things weren't bad enough for the well, another huge housing development has been announced which will take dwellings right up to the edge of historic site, effectively obliterating the last remnants of green space in an area that has been described as being as historically important to Scotland as Bannockburn.

Attached Image

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
droschke7
post 31st Jul 2010, 01:00pm
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 128
This is disgusting. As if it's not bad enough all our Industry being sold off and closed down, now they want to destroy our History.

I'm not the kind of person to go on a Demo March but if one is arranged, to stop this desecration of our History , I will make an exeption and be there. As a disabled ex serviceman I'm not able to walk very well or very far but this is far too important to miss.

+Quote Post
*John Mack*
post 31st Jul 2010, 02:10pm
Post #3

Well that's Labour Council for you, Nae culture!!! mad.gif

+Quote Post
*NIGEL BUCKLAND*
post 31st Jul 2010, 02:14pm
Post #4

Here's something I shot with the late David R Ross in 2007.

Hidden Glasgow - Wallace Monument
Scottish historian David Ross reveals Robroyston's connection to Scotland's William Wallace. Including Robroyston's very own Wallace Monument and Wallace Well.

http://video.stv.tv/?bcpid=37654293001&bctid=1595087517

+Quote Post
*Martin H*
post 31st Jul 2010, 02:52pm
Post #5

Another War Disabled Pensioner Here. I used to live in Barmulloch and used to go to the Wallace Monument and on down to the well on my bike during the holidays. What some others might not know is that the very low walls around the area were the scenes for courting in the earlier years. There are potentially thousands of Glaswegians whose ancestors will have met and courted in that area. Many of the workers on the North side of the city would promenade around the Robroyston Lanes where the young factory lasses would sit on the low stone walls and look for suitable partners. It was an opportunity to get out ''into the countryside'' at the week-end for no cost in the days when there was no such thing as disposable income. I too would be quite willing to come along for any protest march.........Disgusted Airborne Warrior.

+Quote Post
**annah**
post 31st Jul 2010, 03:41pm
Post #6

This well has too be protected . This is part of our history . a true Scottish patriot who gave his life for Scottish freedom . I think a demonstration should be organised to let Glasgow City Council and Historic Scotland be aware that we Scots will fight to keep this well protected . I am writing to highlight this to the Scottish Parliament and Scottish MPs.

+Quote Post
*Rose Mary Morris*
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:11pm
Post #7

As a wee lassie I grew up in Castlemilk, so name for the famous beautiful Castle that Mary Queen of Scots is reported to have stayed in overnight during her escape from the clutches of her English cousin Elizabeth.
I was shocked when I returned there from Canada many years later to find the entire castle gone, erased, as if it had never existed but alas, someone actually convenced the powers of the day to keep the stables in tact!

I doubt Mary Queen of Scots actually went to the stables but at least it's something of the history left standing, un-assuming and void of any plaque or measure of recognition or significance when I was there.

Come on Scots; we've allowed the errosion of our heritage long enough, William Wallace for goodness sake, there should not even be a question as to whether it is recognised or not, no debate about this place or anything else Scottish come to think of it, that keeps our history carved in stone. All must be preserved that we NEVER forget the sacrifices made in the name of Scotland & like it or not, our freedom!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:19pm
Post #8

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Like a lot of things Scottish, who cares?
When I visited Scotland with my big German mate Kriss last year we a hard time locating, for example, Rob Roy's grave and found it just by luck. Not Far from the Falkirk Wheel was a famous battle field, in relation to Scottish history, which was marked by a single post near a bend on a road which did not allow for parking with any degree of safety. It took us two hours of asking around; even the locals had no idea and the tourist information people at the Wheel even less, before we found it. The pictures above show how much interest the authorities have; none.
These historical sites, which may be of little interest to those whose history is remembered here, are of great interest to others who visit Scotland with the desire to sense something of what happened there.
I cut out about 9 square inches of soil and grass from a field which we, after looking at all the surrounding fields, reckoned could maybe have been the one where Wallace fought his last battle and put it in a tobacco tin for Kriss to take home with him; his little piece of Scottish history, treasured and nurtured in a little glass dish on his window ledge today.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:24pm
Post #9

I grew up on wallace well road and wallace's well played a huge part of my childhood. My siblings and I would ride our bikes or walk there just to play. It was our favorite place and still when I'm back in Glasgow its one of the places I love to visit. I was so disturbed on my last visit to find it almost unrecognizable and almost impossible to find. It would be terrible to lose such a wonderful piece of history. It breaks my heart to see it the way it is today. Where is our national pride?

+Quote Post
GG
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:30pm
Post #10

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A bit more about Wallace's Well:

It is said William Wallace enjoyed his last drink as a free man at the well. He was in Rab Raa's [or Rae's] Toun - Robroyston - on his way to Glasgow to plead with the Bishop of Glasgow, Robert Wishart, for assistance in his fight for Scottish Independence. However, he was betrayed and captured by English soldiers at the farmhouse just a few yards from the well, on 5 August 1305.

Wallace's Well was listed in 1970, but Historic Scotland removed the site from a list of protected properties in March 1993. By 2003 it was considered to be under threat from nearby housing developments.

And..

Near the farm of Royston Mains is Wallace's Well, an ancient spring said to have been used by the Scottish patriot and freedom fighter Sir William Wallace whilst hiding out in a cottage nearby. It is at this cottage that Wallace was captured by English forces in 1305 before being taken to London and brutally executed.

A granite celtic cross in Wallace's honour was erected near the well in 1900 to mark the place of his betrayal and capture. It was unveiled by Miss Emmeline McKerlie, a descendant of Kerlie, one of Wallace's men.

The cottage from where Wallace was taken stood until 1826. The well's current stonework dates from about 1911 and replaces an earlier construction. The water pump has gone. Listed and adopted by the Wallace Clan Trust, there have been recent plans for a heritage centre in the area. Some streets in the eastern part of Balornock are named after Wallace's Well.

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
angel
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:34pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
When apathy rules you get the city council you deserve, same goes for governments.

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:55pm
Post #12

Glasgow's terrible at acknowledging history, promoting it, keeping it alive. It's not like we want to live in the past. We just don't want it stamped out, only to be replaced by something ugly and temporary, and MEANINGLESS. Look at Edinburgh. There's an example of a city that's channelled money into conservation of the right stuff, and they rake it in. And surprise surprise, the story of the city is much more evident. The children of Glasgow probably don't even know who William Wallace is, or anyone/anything else from Glasgow's history. And what's worse, they don't care. They don't care because they live in a place where it's not valued. Listed buildings suddenly catch fire here and become too dangerous to keep. If you don't like Edinburgh, another example of a city that's built around it's past and not over it is Barcelona. Need I say more?

+Quote Post
*Backcauseway*
post 31st Jul 2010, 04:56pm
Post #13

The party in power in Glasgow City Chambers just could not care less. Since they have been in power since the 1940s hundreds of buildings and artifacts have gone. I once heard them denounced at a meeting when Glasgow was lobbying to be "The City of Culture" in London as "Cultural Philistines". The Labour councillor from Glasgow at the meeting had not a clue what a Philistine was. I found it very sad. Glasgow gets the leaders it votes for. I suspect because Wallace has "connotations" with a certain political party then the "well is doomed". By the way why build on green field sites when there are vast swaths of brownfield sites in Glasgow?

+Quote Post
secondtimelucky
post 31st Jul 2010, 05:23pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,391
This is a disgrace. As a child, a favourite walk with my aunt and her dog, who lived in Provanmill, was to go as far as the Wallace Momument.

+Quote Post
**jungleboy 1958**
post 31st Jul 2010, 05:32pm
Post #15

This is a scandal. my ancestors are wallace and this landmark has been neglected fo years it's about time the council done something. Does the area come under Strathclyde or Strathkelvin? What council has resposibility for it?

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 22nd Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.