Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Dali's Christ Leaves, As Pope Set To Visit, Iconic painting goes on loan until next year
GG
post 6th Jul 2010, 06:39pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Bosses at Glasgow Life, the rebranded name for Culture and Sport Glasgow, have come under fire for shipping off Salvador Dali's Christ of St John of the Cross to America for six months, a period which will include the Pope's once-in-a-generation visit to Glasgow. It means that the many thousands of Catholics flocking to Glasgow for the visit will miss out on the chance to see the city's most famous religious work on display in the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum.

Criticising the move by the company running the city's museums, Julian Spalding, art critic, writer and former director of museums and art galleries in the city, commented that many of those attending the Pope's Mass at Bellahouston Park would have wanted to see the "revered" image. Mr Spalding said:

"It is one of the great images of the Catholic religion. I think it is absolutely mad to have it go when the Pope is coming to visit. It's an absolutely stupid decision.

I like Atlanta [High Museum], it's a nice museum and it will be good for the people who see the show, but if you lend the great works, you get back in return something that the Glaswegians want to see. You get great works in return, that is how it works. If you loan for money, what does £25,000 do? Is it used for clearing up the parks or something? There are other budgets for that type of thing.

I think it is just wrong, it should only be going for a short period: two or three months at most."

A spokesman for Glasgow Life, who insisted that the loan deal had been made before the Pope's visit was confirmed, said:

"The iconic Christ of St John of the Cross is the key exhibit in this summer's Dali exhibition at the High Museum of Atlanta. This loan agreement includes a commitment to find out much more about this Glasgow treasure and how important it was to Dali's career before it returns early next year."

The loan will be a blow to hopes of halting the rapid decline in visitor numbers at the Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum. Annual visitor numbers at the city's most-popular venue were down by more than 5% last year, and have declined by more than 800,000 visitors since 2007, the year following its re-opening after refurbishment.

Attached Image

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Lennox
post 6th Jul 2010, 07:06pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,288
Martin, A few years ago when the Art gallery was closed the art came to Oklahoma , ( trust me it was needed ) and it was one of biggest draws that the Museum of Oklahoma ever had , I think it gives people who can't get there a chance to see it for themselves, shame about the timong tho.

--------------------

You don't have to live next door, to be a friend !

+Quote Post
Heather
post 6th Jul 2010, 07:18pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
The painting would certainly draw a lot of attention in any City and it's good for others to have a chance to see it. But I agree with Lennox, on this occasion it's bad timing.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 6th Jul 2010, 07:44pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
As far as I am aware the loan deal was done before the Popes visit was announced, could Glasgow have gone back on the loan deal, perhaps not, if it meant breaking a contract
Anyway the visitors can by a post card of the painting, seemingly Glasgow own the copyright of the painting and have made a lot of money from the cards

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
*Maggiebarclay*
post 6th Jul 2010, 08:23pm
Post #5

Why on earth did they feel the need to let it go to another country in the first place?

It has been in Glasgow for as long as i remember.. And to do it while our holy father visit's Scotland is just so bad timing i really dont know what they were thinking about.. please pray that we get it back before the Pope gets here. x

+Quote Post
*David Todd*
post 6th Jul 2010, 08:30pm
Post #6

I dont think the Pope will be offended - nor will the folks who will come to to see him, who Im sure the majority will not even be aware the picture is on loan elsewhere.

+Quote Post
*Guest*
post 6th Jul 2010, 08:52pm
Post #7

It is bad timing and a pitY considering the planned visit, but would the Pope actually see it (or want to). No offence to Catholics (as a non Catholic I'm very very pleased he is coming to our city) but the painting is for the benefit of all not just one man. I think the people of Atlanta will enjoy it and far more people will see it there. It is common for art treasure to be sent to other countries (Glasgow/Scotland has benefited from the Tutenkaman and the Chinese Terracotta Warriors exhibitions). I am sure the Pope will understand. Lets just hope the West of Scotlands less reputable religious elements don't use this for there own narrow minded purposes.

+Quote Post
Rob Rattray
post 6th Jul 2010, 09:16pm
Post #8

Visitor
Member No.: 7,864
It's a good thing to 'lend' to other museums as you get something in return of similar value for display in your area; tough that the other guy is paying you a 'once in his lifetime' visit at the same time but it would have been quite different if Jesus Christ Himself was coming - no?"
The other bloke is just a man like you and me!

There is neither Jew nor Greek, there is neither bond nor free, there is neither male nor female: for ye are all one in Christ Jesus.

--------------------
God Bless
Rob

"SUPER SIDERA VOTUM”

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 6th Jul 2010, 09:22pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Holy Father or no Holy Father, the painting of Christ of St John of the Cross by Dali has been loaned " for a bowl of potash"
I understand the importance of lending art internationally and I understand the bad timing in the instance of the Pope's visit but I can't understand lending what, for me, is probably the greatest painting that Dali ever did for 25K. Are they that short of readies in Glasgow?
Maybe Purcell could have set them up with a better deal.
I also can't understand why this is neither here nor there for 42% of the members who voted (to date.)

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
*kATHERINE gOETZ*
post 7th Jul 2010, 02:22am
Post #10

Hallo everyone, as some have said, bad timing. Such loans etc., have to be very well organised, the other end has to get exhibition organised too. You cant do that in a couple of months, there is a lot of work behind it, which many people might not realise. I'm sure the Pope has seen this
Masterpiece, if at all on the web, i.e if he is interested in Arts. We dont have to shove it into his face, or do we?

I grew up in Glasgow and went to Kelvingrove on a regular basis. I saw this Masterpiece when I was about 13 or 14. I have never forgotten the impact on me, and was disgusted on my last visit home to find (after looking everywhere) it was hung at the end of a corridor, a much
too small hanging place - dear God. Glasgow, Cultural City, City of the Arts - do we have to tell them, they know nothing about displaying a Masterpiece.

Anyway Dali`s Masterpiece will be back home (don't forget, Glasgow will get refunded for the loan) and hopefully hung in a more explicit site.

Katherine
from Nuernberg - Glasgows Sister City.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Jul 2010, 06:19am
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Quite agree with you Katherine about the siting of the painting, although it was even worse on the previous occasion I went there to show it off to English friends, and found out it was in St Mungo Museum of Religion.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
**Megan**
post 7th Jul 2010, 06:30am
Post #12

Good morning,

I am absolutely horrified - I am visiting October and missed seeing "my" Dali because the Gallery was closed last time I was there - it was high on my agenda for this next visit.

I'm assuming you're referring to the same painting I love - a painting looking down at the crucified Christ's head with boats and desert below??

My children & I came for a 2 week visit to Glasgow in 1979 and stayed 5+ years - lived in Raebery street Maryhill. We visited the Kelvingrove Glasgow Gallery monthly in wonderment that it was FREE and the paintings and sculpture were "ours" to view and love. The Dali became "mine" and I was devastated later to learn that someone slashed it.

I have recently learned that it has moved to a museum of religious art - which I shall have to visit when in Glasgow BUT will be very unhappy to note that my favourite work is missing - WHY is it going to America?

Megan.

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Jul 2010, 06:41am
Post #13

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Hi Megan,

Yes, that is the painting in question. Here's some more information about the great painting:

Christ of Saint John of the Cross is a painting by Salvador Dalí made in 1951. It depicts Jesus Christ on the cross in a darkened sky floating over a body of water complete with a boat and fishermen. Although it is a depiction of the crucifixion, it is devoid of nails, blood, and a crown of thorns, because, according to Dalí, he was convinced by a dream that these features would mar his depiction of Christ. Also in a dream, the importance of depicting Christ in the extreme angle evident in the painting was revealed to him.

The painting is known as the "Christ of Saint John of the Cross," because its design is based on a drawing by the 16th century Spanish friar Saint John of the Cross. The composition of Christ is also based on a triangle and circle (the triangle is formed by Christ's arms; the circle is formed by Christ's head). The triangle, since it has three sides, can be seen as a reference to the Trinity, and the circle may be an allusion to Platonic thought. On the bottom of his studies for the painting, Dalí explained its inspiration: "In the first place, in 1950, I had a 'cosmic dream' in which I saw this image in color and which in my dream represented the 'nucleus of the atom.' This nucleus later took on a metaphysical sense; I considered it 'the very unity of the universe,' the Christ!"

The painting and intellectual property rights were acquired by Glasgow Corporation in the early 1950s for £8,200, a price considered high at the time. In 1961, the canvas was damaged by a visitor to the museum (using a brick) because the viewpoint of the artist was looking down rather than up on the subject. It has since been successfully restored. In 1993, the painting was moved to the city's St Mungo Museum of Religious Life and Art, but returned to Kelvingrove for its reopening in July 2006. It won a poll to decide Scotland's favorite painting in 2006, with 29% of the vote.

The Spanish government is said to have offered £80 million for the painting, but the offer was turned down.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Christ_of_Sai...hn_of_the_Cross

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
markybhoy81
post 7th Jul 2010, 09:34am
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 7,682
This painting happens to be one of my favourites. It is a beautiful work of art and should be shared with other nations. However, I do believe that the loan could have waited until after Pope Benedict's visit. Many people from other parts of the UK who will be coming to Glasgow for the visit would have liked to see Dali's masterpiece.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Jul 2010, 10:21am
Post #15

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Maggiebarclay @ 6th Jul 2010, 09:40pm) *
.. please pray that we get it back before the Pope gets here. x

Can't see that one being answered rolleyes.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 17th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.