Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Should Council Evict Occupy Glasgow?, Legal stand-off in George Square
Dave Grieve
post 6th Nov 2011, 12:05pm
Post #76

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
This kind of protest hasen't happened here that I know of.
So all I can do is observe the various protests around the world, and while doing that I dont see any escalation anywhere in the amount of support for the protestors.
Even some of the comments on this board show the appathy of people who say they support the protestors like "the next time I go that way I willl give them a packet of biscuits or tea or something similiar. (not picking on anybody but using it as an example) if you really believe in their cause, JOIN THEM.
Think back to the CND protests in the 60s do you see anything like that happening or the anti Springbok tour protests in the late 60s, long term its just a waste of time.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Nov 2011, 02:39pm
Post #77

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Two artilces in the Sunday Herald today which may be of interest:

A new home ... but the protest goes on
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/...es-on-1.1133347

"The Church[es] are on our side in the sense that they have got to be, if they believe in Jesus and the story of the Bible."

What do Scotland's religious leaders think of the Occupy movement?
http://www.heraldscotland.com/mobile/news/...ement-1.1133354

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
janeyteegee
post 6th Nov 2011, 03:50pm
Post #78

Unpacking
Member No.: 10,787
QUOTE (tombro @ 6th Nov 2011, 03:17am) *
Janeyteegee,

Couldn't give a stuff about Occupy this or that protesters but must protest about your choice of avatar !

From memory, that is Stratson's avatar on GG and must forever stay so, so please change it !

Tombro

Well thank you very much Tombro,had no idea I had stepped on someone's toes,,,, have changed my avatar as per your request,,,, wink.gif

+Quote Post
wombat
post 6th Nov 2011, 08:53pm
Post #79

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
well everywans threw their 2 bobs wurth in wie this discussion,and most see demonstrators as a bit of a nuisance,the cops made a right mess of em in melbourne,blood everywhere,(that'll dae wonders for public relations) the reality is it was an attack by an armed group against an unarmed group.
(that'll dae wonders for law and order) then the same week the politicians got a huge pay increase 'again',the cops got wan as well,"again" laugh.gif there's a pattern emerging here where the law protects the greedy and batters blood and shit outta anyone that complains .i feel most of us are cowards (me included)when we sit in front of the idiot box and say "they deserve tae have their heads caved in WE SHALL OVERCOME ONE DAY AAY laugh.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
GG
post 6th Nov 2011, 11:58pm
Post #80

Administrator
Group Icon
The big move from George Square to Kelvingrove Park on Friday: the council (to their credit, as well as to speed things up) sent a gaffer, some workies and a truck.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 7th Nov 2011, 01:13am
Post #81

Administrator
Group Icon
The police sent a mobile surveillance unit.

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------

+Quote Post
Scotsman
post 7th Nov 2011, 06:32pm
Post #82

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,353
The weather is really turning Baltic now in Glasgow so I hope that all the protestors have got their thermals on now as they will be freezing otherwise. If they were still in George Square then they could have rigged up a pipeline from the city chambers into the campsite so that they could have benifited from all the hot air that those councillors talk!!

Haha.... that would have been TOASTY!!

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 7th Nov 2011, 11:13pm
Post #83

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
I've been reading this morning about the trouble they've been having at St Pauls Cathedral and was happy to note at least that the high heid yins at St Paul's are not blaming the protestors for the spray-painted grafitti on the outside wall or the use of the Cathedral's interior as a toilet.
Either mindless morons at work or people setting out to make things look worse for the demonstrators.
Shockin' behaviour as far as I'm concerned.
Can't imagine anyone sinking to these depths of depravity.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Elma
post 8th Nov 2011, 03:08am
Post #84

Mega City Key Holder
From: Originally Annan with a wee bit of Glasgow in between now Kimberley, B.C.
Member No.: 1,650
At last Vancouver City Mayor has ordered the Occupy Vancouver people to move or else..... The tent city that has sprung up there, thankfully not in the area of the Cenotaph, has become the residence of drug addicts etc. There was one man who was taken to hospital due to drugs last week and a young woman died there of an overdose on Saturday. Most of the people there now don't even know why they are there but are only there to party and do drugs. The time has come to stop this nonsense all round the world, this kind of action does nothing and personally, I think it is completely unnecessary and wrong, I am not a supporter of these protesters.

+Quote Post
tamhickey
post 8th Nov 2011, 08:13am
Post #85

City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,833
Elma, that's such a waste of young lives. Drugs are the scourge of society and my heart goes out to their parents and friends, but in Glasgow, they have made a point of discouraging this by agreeing to a no drink and no drugs policy, so that they're taken seriously. I wouldn't like to be out there on this cold November night, and I admire these young people who do so in the belief that they are speaking out on behalf of us all.

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 8th Nov 2011, 08:40am
Post #86

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Tam, you are spot on, and not for the first time on these boards smile.gif

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
GG
post 8th Nov 2011, 09:00am
Post #87

Administrator
Group Icon
I've got the 'manifesto' which Occupy Glasgow has produced. As Tam says, the group very much believe that they are acting in the best interests of the majority of ordinary people. They are also keen to stress that they are not a political entity but, rather, a spontaneous protest group driven to highlight and try to counter what they see as the greed and misery in today's society.

In the interests of clarity, I will try and post the full manifesto later...

(Also, just to confirm that all the protesters have – by yesterday – moved from the site on the south-east corner of George Square. The council has now put a metal fence around the former protest site.)

GG.

--------------------

+Quote Post
*Wendy Davidson*
post 8th Nov 2011, 12:43pm
Post #88

I, for one, have had enough of these protesters in Kelvingrove Park and they've only been there for less than a week! Why on Earth the council put them there I do not know. They have been given full facilities including power, lighting, toilets, refuse collection, etc, etc.

Their presence is already a blight on a lovely park and I can tell you now that - while out walking the dog - I have heard quite a few people complaining about this rabble. Goodness knows what types they are likely to attract over the coming weeks. I dread to think!

Might be time for a petition to get them out before they have time to settle.

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 8th Nov 2011, 01:15pm
Post #89

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (Elma @ 8th Nov 2011, 02:34am) *
... The time has come to stop this nonsense all round the world, this kind of action does nothing and personally, I think it is completely unnecessary and wrong ...

The sad thing is Elma that it is neccessary.
The 1% that the 99 percenters refer to really do exist and they're gettin' away with financial murder; the victims being the rest of us.
It was only in the most recent years that Germany's IRS started to clamp down on tax evaders in a big scale and offered rewards for information on firms and individuals with number accounts in Switzerland and Lichtenstein etc. and once the CDs started rolling into the tax office, all the way from Switzerland and Lichtenstein, it was amazing how many sportsmen, media stars and CEOs suddenly volunteered to pay taxes while pleading for amnesty.
I see in today's Financial Times that the USA is now to have client names revealed by Credit Suisse

Credit Suisse to reveal client names to IRS
US authorities to receive customer details in tax probe

But, of course, there are other ways of hiding your billions ...
http://www.capitalconservator.com/offshore...nk-accounts.php

...especially if you're one of the 222 individual billionaires living in America or the 14 in Canada who among them have a combined net worth of over $700 Billion - that's 236 individuals with a combined net worth of more than $700,000,000,000

http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/europe/...cy-billionaires

... After early stints at Credit Suisse and Barclays Geneva office, Birkenfeld joined UBS in 2001. By then, he had experience enough to know his division was steeped in skirting the law, if not in Switzerland itself, then certainly in the U.S. “Swiss bank secrecy is analogous with criminal conspiracy. That’s how I see it,” he told me.

Credit is due in part to the "Occupy ..." protestors for this outcome :-

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/ci...edit-union-poll

Unfortunately Elma the people that you're seeing hi-lighted in the media reports, eg the drug addicts and those who crap on the Cathedral's carpets are bums who have nothing to do with those who are keeping the greedy (those who seem to feed of the needy) right up front in the headlines.
More power to them. wink.gif

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 8th Nov 2011, 01:39pm
Post #90

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
QUOTE (Wendy Davidson @ 8th Nov 2011, 01:09pm) *
Goodness knows what types they are

Human beings I presume, unless you know something different.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post

11 Pages V  « < 4 5 6 7 8 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th Sep 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.