Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V  < 1 2  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Great Glasgow Storm Of 15th January 1968, Do you remember it?
*shaggis*
post 11th Jun 2009, 10:30am
Post #16

I was about 9 years old and living on Scotland St, and slept through the storm, but I remember the aftermath clearly, there was rubble from chimneys all over the street, broken glass, bricks and worst of all slates from the roofs, just about every car we saw had a slate embedded in it!

When we were travelling through Argyllshire about a week later, we saw huge swathes of forest flattened, mile after mile of fir trees lying on their sides like they'd been steamrolled.

One corner of the block I lived had to be demolished, I think that was due to the storm damage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
*Wee Davy*
post 21st Aug 2009, 02:39pm
Post #17

I was 10 at the time. I stayed in Kirkintilloch at the time. We had miles of farmland between us and Glesga and the wind howled across unhindered. I was uterly terrified to say the least, I was sure our roof was going to be ripped off. many houses in our estate had their gable ends blown down, I can remember almost every large tree I knew being blown over, every lampost on the Lenzie Road being blown over, the 'old mans' shelter in the Woodhead park lying wrecked against the front of the swimming baths 200 yards away. The large parts roof of the swimming baths lying on the railway line behind it, reports of a copper being blown through the Co-op window at Townhead and being sent home from school the next day as parts of the roof were lying on the playground. Some folk have made comparisons with the Michael Fishs' 1987 storm in S E England where most of the damage was caused by falling trees. What you must remember is that all those trees had leaves on them, the Glasgow storm happened when the trees were bare - it makes a heck of a difference if you've ever watched trees in gale force winds. I can remember reading a report in the Daily Record saying there had been a gust of wind recorded at the Forth Bridge of 124mph, I for one would never dispute that. It was one heck of a storm. Can anyone confirm serious thunder and lightning? Something tells me there was. I've had a real healthy interest and respect for the weather ever since.

+Quote Post
*Robert Osborne*
post 31st Aug 2009, 05:11pm
Post #18

I was only 8 yrs old came from Greenock and was in Oak Bank Hopital on the night of the storm i can remember the old tenaments next to the Hospital all the roofs caved in i'll always remember that night

+Quote Post
*Robbie Henry*
post 18th Sep 2009, 01:47pm
Post #19

The death of folk singer Mary Travers has just been announced and my recollection of the Great Glasgow Storm was whether or not the folk trio she was a member of - Peter, Paul and Mary - would find a venue that was unusable due to storm damage. I had managed to get 3rd row seats for the performance - and for a 2nd year apprentice, they cost a king's ransom. It was one of the best night's entertainments I've ever enjoyed. As for the storm itself, I have to confess that I slept through it as well, only finding out about it - like everyone else - after the event.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 7th Dec 2009, 01:40am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
I also slept through the storm and was surprised that my husband did not waken me up as he left very early in th ermorning to go to work. So I was puzzled at to why there were roof slate's lying about everywhere until a neighbour told me about the storm.

I couldn't believe it when I saw our garden fence completed flattened. The fence was lying on the pavement and a neighbour helped me move it into the garden in case someone fell over it.

It was terrible when the news came out that some people had been killed.

I remember afterwards seeing all the tarpaulins on the roofs, they seemed to be there forever. There were that many damaged roofs it took a long time to get them repaired.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
Rabbie
post 28th Feb 2010, 12:17am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,794
Wooosh, jist as ye thought it was safe!

Get yer auld tarps oot, there a big hoolie on the way. Cover up yer mirrors and get granny hidden in the press.

<pst> that will got em goin'

<evil sniggers>

Hurricane Rabbie....over and oot.

--------------------
Black holes are where God divided by zero.

+Quote Post
*Charlotte Armstron*
post 30th Jun 2011, 06:39pm
Post #22

Hello there,

I am emailing from a production company (www.loveproductions.co.uk) - we are making a brand new prime time series and are looking to speak to people based in the UK who remember the storm? Is there anyone who does and can contact me please? My office number is 020 7067 4873.

I look forward to perhaps hearing,

Many thanks in advance,

Best wishes,

Charlotte

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th May 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.