Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

> Red Road Flats Demolished For Sport, Sad, sick and embarrassing for Glasgow
GG
post 3rd Apr 2014, 10:37pm
Post #1

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
In possibly the most ill-thought-out decision ever made by Glasgow City Council, the remaining blocks of the Red Road flats are set to be demolished in a hugely-expensive publicity stunt to coincide with the opening ceremony of the Commonwealth Games on 23rd July this year.

The penultimate act of a 15million demolition programme will see five of the remaining six blocks in the north-east of Glasgow brought down in just 15 seconds so that the spectacle can be broadcast to privileged games' spectators sitting comfortably at Celtic Park a few miles away. The synchronised demolition of the five 30-storey blocks will be relayed live to a 350-foot screen in the stadium in the east end of Glasgow.

The expensive stunt will effectively mark the end of a failed social engineering experiment that condemned tens of thousands of Glaswegians to, as author William McIlvanney put it, "live lives bleaker than anyone should live – and die deaths bleaker than anyone should die". Average life expectancy of residents was tragically short.

Attached Image

A security guard walks through the debris of the first two demolished blocks

During the (in today's money) 100million construction programme to build the flats, 1000 'white mice' workmen – nicknamed because they went home pink-eyed and covered in white asbestos dust – laboured for the Labour council to build a towering disaster. In 1984, following a huge rise in death rates amongst the former Red Road workers, a local action group traced 180 of the workmen, of whom 60 were already dead just a dozen years after construction was completed. Of those 60 brave men, 87% had died from cancers associated with asbestos. The average age of the men when they died was just 51 years old.

Attached Image

Four of the blocks to be demolished. Only a block for asylum seekers will remain.

Speaking about the stunt, Gordon Matheson, leader of the council, said:
"We are going to wow the world, with the demolition of the Red Road flats set to play a starring role. Red Road has an iconic place in Glasgow's history, having been home to thousands of families and dominating the city's skyline for decades. Their demolition will all but mark the end of high-rise living in the area and is symbolic of the changing face of Glasgow, not least in terms of our preparations for the Games."

Early reader comments on newspaper sites reporting the farce included:
Congratulations Glasgow City Council - this has to be the dumbest idea I have ever heard.

There are are three core values at the heart of the Commonwealth Games: Humanity, Equality and Destiny – what the blowing up the tallest slums in Europe has to do with these fine values is completely beyond me.

Glasgow 2014, Glasgow City Council and GHA should be embarrassed. As a city resident for 40 years from birth, this is the craziest idea yet! Has anyone in that shambles of a Council forgotten these flats became notorious for their poor design, deprivation and high crime? Senior City Council Director says it will be "fun and their centre piece". OMG! How do we put a stop to this idiotic idea?

GG.

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post

Posts in this topic
- GG   Red Road Flats Demolished For Sport   3rd Apr 2014, 10:37pm
- - Old Sailor   Glasgow continues to entertain and the clowns are ...   3rd Apr 2014, 11:33pm
- - ktv   A new low for Glasgow city council. The area was ...   3rd Apr 2014, 11:42pm
|- - Tommy Kinvig   QUOTE (ktv @ 3rd Apr 2014, 11:59pm) a new...   4th Apr 2014, 06:01am
- - Guest   THIS EVENT SHOULD NEVER HAVE BEEN CONSIDERED AND M...   3rd Apr 2014, 11:46pm
- - Tarbet   I'm trying to figure out where they think all ...   4th Apr 2014, 12:00am
- - wellfield   C'mon folks!!......What's the stor...   4th Apr 2014, 12:02am
- - Gallusbisom   Words fail me just now, and that does not happen v...   4th Apr 2014, 12:57am
- - Catarina   Well though I no longer live in Glasgow,but being ...   4th Apr 2014, 02:18am
- - ARu-999   I did volunteer to be a helper at the CG, but work...   4th Apr 2014, 02:42am
- - Gues Donald Anderso   America was blowing up these flats in the 60...   4th Apr 2014, 03:03am
- - zascot   Even here in South Africa when we got the world cu...   4th Apr 2014, 06:08am
|- - Dave Grieve   QUOTE (zascot @ 4th Apr 2014, 08:25am) Ev...   4th Apr 2014, 06:11am
- - GG   Sent by BillyK via the report button: QUOTE If as ...   4th Apr 2014, 06:15am
- - GG   QUOTE Former MSP protests Red Road demolition plan...   4th Apr 2014, 06:53am
- - Mathieson   Hugely, hugely embarrassing for the city and for S...   4th Apr 2014, 06:55am
- - snarler63   It really is becoming time that we make our public...   4th Apr 2014, 07:17am
- - pumps100   When I read about this I thought it was a late Apr...   4th Apr 2014, 07:24am
- - Guest   Glasgow council should hang their heads in shame.....   4th Apr 2014, 07:26am
- - Dylan   I also thought it was an April Fool joke. How cra...   4th Apr 2014, 07:37am
- - *carabella*   I heard this last night on Scotland tonight, could...   4th Apr 2014, 07:43am
- - Gordon MacNiven   My old mum lived in such a high rise at Knightswoo...   4th Apr 2014, 07:44am
- - greta   Crazy idea, not surprised where it came from, am s...   4th Apr 2014, 07:46am
- - Lochlassie   I was in Dundee last summer when they demolished t...   4th Apr 2014, 07:57am
- - Melody   My response to this news was WHAT!!!...   4th Apr 2014, 08:04am
- - Maribo   I've always been proud to be a Glaswegian, but...   4th Apr 2014, 08:16am
- - gardenqueen   I have signed the petition. Although I haven...   4th Apr 2014, 08:18am
- - ashfield   I doubt there is any asbestos in these buildings a...   4th Apr 2014, 08:22am
- - Scotsman   Shameful.... absolutely shameful!! Do thes...   4th Apr 2014, 08:37am
- - Jupiter   What I would like to know,what I would pay money t...   4th Apr 2014, 08:39am
10 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 

Closed TopicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 15th Oct 2019

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.