Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> When Were Parts Of Garscube Road Pulled Down
MacPean
post 10th Feb 2009, 11:59am
Post #1

Visitor
Member No.: 6,527
Hi all I was wondering if anyone could help me with a querie. I have found my family on the 1891 census at 676 Garscube Road but when I look at the 1901 census the close numbers go from 669 to 677 and 676 isn't there anymore. I am assuming that this part of the street was pulled down. I'm wondering why and when they pulled it down and does anyone have any idea where I would find this info.

Many Thanks
J

--------------------
Just waiting for my Hogwarts letter
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hudggy
post 10th Feb 2009, 11:03pm
Post #2

Lord Provost
Member No.: 2,399
Hi macpean,

The only part of Garscube road that never had a building on it was at the corner of Corn Street and Garscube Road. What I meant to say was, that this was a spare ground before I was born I lived in Phoenix Park Terrace at the top of Corn St and I was born 1943 so that could be where your close stood best I can do .

Hudggy

--------------------
When the next lorry comes i'll get a Hudggy

+Quote Post
Heather
post 10th Feb 2009, 11:32pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
MacPean, I think the No. 676 Garscube Road would be up nearer Queens Cross, Maryhill.

Maybe the GG Members from Maryhill would know exactly where.

You could have another look at the Census, as in Scotland the uneven numbers are on one side of the road, and the even numbers on the other side. The numbers you quoted are uneven, so that is just the one side.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 11th Feb 2009, 12:45am
Post #4

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
Hi MacPean, I lived at 813 Garscube road , up until i was 12 in 68 , then we moved . I know that a few years after that tenements were pulled down . The Firhill pub was the only thing left standing at the corner , which was across the road from my side of the street . Dont know if the pub is still there , but maybe finding out about it , might find out when surrounding buildings were taken down . This pub was in one of the Taggart programmes , and looked weird on its own . Good luck with your search .

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 11th Feb 2009, 10:19am
Post #5

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Hi Petalpeeps

I remember watching that episode of Taggart here in New Zealand (it must have been in the 1980's). When I saw the Firhill Tavern in the programme, I realised it must have been close to where I had lived but didn't know just how close until I visited the area in 1988.

My aunt and uncle took me for a drive around Maryhill and as we turned off Maryhill Road into Hinshaw Street (where we had lived until 1956), there was the Firhill Tavern sitting in Garscube Road, facing into Hinshaw Street. It was probably about 100 metres from where I grew up and I don't have any recollection of it - I presume it WAS there in the 40's and 50's. Great memories, thanks.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Thomas
post 11th Feb 2009, 11:33am
Post #6

City Key Holder
Member No.: 384
If memory serves me, the pub is also now demolished and a modern building stands in its place. I think the story goes, when the council demolished many of the tenements they couldn't afford to buy out the publican and so removed the building down around the pub - hence why so many pubs in Glasgow could be found out in the middle of the wilderness.

I do remember Garscube Road being full of tenements and still to this day, of all the areas that suffered demolition of their tenements, I think the area of Garscube Rd suffered quite badly and has never truly recovered.

--------------------
Exaltabo Te Domine

I will magnify thee O God

+Quote Post
flam
post 11th Feb 2009, 11:57am
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,044
Hi All Yes the Firhill Tavern has been demolished,here is an up-to-date photo of the Area..Cheers Flim

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post
petalpeeps
post 11th Feb 2009, 07:53pm
Post #8

Super City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,923
Thanks for the picture , flam .How sad that everything is gone . I remember as a wee girl ma mum and dad used to talk about moving , and when we passed the Firhill pub a told them to ask in there ,as i had read , free house above the door laugh.gif Its amazing how young minds work . I also thought the tannery further up Garscube road , was where they made sixpenny bits . I lived to the left side of Garscube road as you look at the picture .Right across from the Braemar bar , and the pawnshop was just a few doors to the right as you looked from our front window .

+Quote Post
flam
post 12th Feb 2009, 12:31pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Petalpeeps I liked that one about the free house,I thought the Tannery was across from the steps in photo just where the Blue car is,and it backed on to the Forth and Clyde Canal.. What is sixpenny bits got to do with the Tannery i know a sixpenny bit was called a Tanner ,you have me a little confused,which is not something new Ha! Ha!..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
flam
post 12th Feb 2009, 12:31pm
Post #10

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Petalpeeps I liked that one about the free house,I thought the Tannery was across from the steps in photo just where the Blue car is,and it backed on to the Forth and Clyde Canal.. What is sixpenny bits got to do with the Tannery i know a sixpenny bit was called a Tanner ,you have me a little confused,which is not something new Ha! Ha!..Cheers Flim

+Quote Post
Scots Kiwi Lass
post 17th Feb 2009, 04:56am
Post #11

City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,097
Great photo, Flam, but I have been trying to figure out where Hinshaw Street is in relation to it. From memory, on the other side of the Firhill Tavern from Garscube Road was Firhill Road. Many a time in the summer my sister and friends trooped up Firhill Road to get to Ruchill Park. There was a wee bridge (which I think has been replaced) we had to go over. On the right side there was a 2-storey house, which could have been for somebody employed in the park or on the canal. When we were allowed to walk up to the park, our mother told us that a friend of hers lived in the house and would be watching to see we went straight over the bridge and didn't linger, so we were always a bit wary and looked up at the windows to see if we could spot her.

Also, I think I read somewhere else in the GG that the fawn coloured buildings in Maltbarns Street had been demolished in recent years - is this true?

Cheers.

--------------------
Kia mau ki to Maoritanga
.............. Hold fast to your culture

+Quote Post
Dimairt
post 21st Mar 2009, 12:11am
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 1,616
Some snaps to help your memories

Le durachd,

Eddy

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

Attached Image

+Quote Post
michael
post 3rd Jan 2016, 04:51pm
Post #13

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,676
QUOTE (petalpeeps @ 11th Feb 2009, 12:53am) *
Hi MacPean, I lived at 813 Garscube road , up until i was 12 in 68 , then we moved . I know that a few years after that tenements were pulled down . The Firhill pub was the only thing left standing at the corner , which was across the road from my side of the street . Dont know if the pub is still there , but maybe finding out about it , might find out when surrounding buildings were taken down . This pub was in one of the Taggart programmes , and looked weird on its own . Good luck with your search .

+Quote Post
michael
post 3rd Jan 2016, 05:14pm
Post #14

Unpacking
Member No.: 4,676
It's a very long time since I visited this website so I hope I'm doing this properly. I just saw a discussion about Garscube road and saw you lived at 813 Garscube Road.
I also was born there, I lived in the top flat (Left side) from 1946-1955 then we moved. I used to loved that place, I also went to Springbank primary school which was just through the back court from me...handy for school.

+Quote Post
*LYNN Gallagher*
post 6th Jan 2020, 12:46am
Post #15

QUOTE (michael @ 3rd Jan 2016, 05:14pm) *
It's a very long time since I visited this website so I hope I'm doing this properly. I just saw a discussion about Garscube road and saw you lived at 813 Garscube Road.
I also was born there, I lived in the top flat (Left side) from 1946-1955 then we moved. I used to loved that place, I also went to Springbank primary school which was just through the back court from me...handy for school.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 4th Jul 2020

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.