Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 100th Anniversary Of The First World War, Did you have ancesstors that served?
RonD
post 3rd Aug 2014, 01:46am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,783
Here she is in the 1911 census living at home with her parents. She is the only Helen Govan that fits the age criteria.If you have trouble reading the census report click on it and hit control + it should enlarging it.

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
RonD
post 3rd Aug 2014, 01:53am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
This is her biorth certificate. I couldn´t find a marriage for her.
Attached Image

--------------------
Bad luck, emotional blackmail, soppy sentiments, no matter what ! The chain letter stops here!

+Quote Post
RonD
post 3rd Aug 2014, 02:02am
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
I found her marriage in 1912 and her husband died in 1950, she died in 1964.

--------------------

+Quote Post
RonD
post 3rd Aug 2014, 10:10am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
I am thinking now I may have the wrong Helen Govan. There was oly this one in Glasgow in 1911. However, there may another who came to the city to work for the war effort. There were two Helen Govan married in 1922 and 1928 but outside the city. On this one I posted she is listed as living at 47 Reid street which is in Govan. Ardgowan Street was in the north side of the Clyde. It will take more that the resources I have available to find out. Some one needs to go to the Mitchell and see what they can find out huh.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 4th Aug 2014, 06:56am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
The Mitchell is a great resource, if I had the time I would have gone myself.

Tonight all over Britain at exactly 10pm people will be putting out their lights in memorium.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
carmella
post 4th Aug 2014, 09:20am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Very nice service in memorium from Glasgow Cathedral, many famous people in attendance, and some excellent renowned journalists and foreign correspondants.

--------------------

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 5th Aug 2014, 07:40am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
We switched off all our lights at 10pm and lit a single candle last night, it was obvious from the view out the window we were in the minority.

My grandfather joined the army to fight in the Boer war at the age of 14 by lying about his age. At the outbreak of WW1 he re-enlisted in the HLI, fought at the Hohezbollern Redoubt and was awarded the Military Medal for what was described as "a little stunt in defence of a bomb crater" in a newspaper cutting. He rarely talked about the that war, I'm guessing he didn't have great memories of it and, like everyone else of his age, had the impact of WW2 to deal with. He did once describe the circumstances of the "little stunt" to me and how several of his brothers were killed in action during the conflict, one of them in plain sight.

I will never forget him, or the sacrifice made by so many in defence of their countrymen and women.

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
carmella
post 5th Aug 2014, 10:32am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Ash, I did the same thing, from what I could see others did the same thing, but we were all in the minority, perhaps some people take too much for granted these days, and forget how it came about they have so much freedom!

--------------------

+Quote Post
carmella
post 10th Aug 2014, 10:28am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
I have so enjoyed the commoration service from Edinburgh this Sunday morning.

The war they thought would be over by Christmas which for some, it was because they were like lambs to the slaughter and were killed.

Very moving history and, very moving spiritual service from Edinburgh.

--------------------

+Quote Post
GG
post 30th Jun 2016, 10:17pm
Post #25

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
Centenary of Battle of the Somme marked in Scotland

Commemorations have begun marking 100 years since the start of one of the bloodiest battles in history.

More than one million men were wounded or killed in the Battle of the Somme during World War One.

An overnight vigil is underway at Scotland's National War Memorial in Edinburgh.
A whistle, which was sounded to lead men over the top, will be blown by a Scots soldier to mark, to the minute, 100 years since the battle began.

Alan Hamilton will blow a whistle used by his great uncle at 07:30 on Friday.

Service personnel and veterans groups will be among those keeping a silent vigil throughout the night.

It is one of a series of similar events planned across the UK. [...]

Full story here:
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-edin...t-fife-36663423

The Battle of the Somme
  • Began on 1 July 1916 and was fought along a 15-mile front near the River Somme in northern France
  • 19,240 British soldiers died on the first day - the bloodiest day in the history of the British army
  • The British captured just three square miles of territory on the first day
  • At the end of hostilities, five months later, the British had advanced just seven miles and failed to break the German defence
  • In total, there were over a million dead and wounded on all sides, including 420,000 British, about 200,000 from France and an estimated 465,000 from Germany
The Battle Of The Somme – The Real Blood Sacrifice

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
angel
post 1st Jul 2016, 08:10pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Close to 61,000 Canadians were killed during the war, and another 172,000 were wounded. Many more returned home broken in mind and body. The small colony of Newfoundland suffered 1,305 killed and several thousand wounded.

Today July 1st. , Newfoundland commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel in France , WWI . they were slaughtered along with two other allied regiments in that battle against the superiority of the Germans and the stupidity of the then British command .

Also today July 1st , is Canada Day , Our official birthday , 149 yrs old and not a bad country for being such a youngster ,at the game But it is said that, building a country goes on forever ,it just doesn't stop ,so we are still building smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post
*Billy Boil*
post 2nd Jul 2016, 04:22pm
Post #27

QUOTE (angel @ 1st Jul 2016, 08:10pm) *
Close to 61,000 Canadians were killed during the war, and another 172,000 were wounded. Many more returned home broken in mind and body. The small colony of Newfoundland suffered 1,305 killed and several thousand wounded.

Today July 1st. , Newfoundland commemorates the 100th anniversary of the Battle of Beaumont-Hamel in France , WWI . they were slaughtered along with two other allied regiments in that battle against the superiority of the Germans and the stupidity of the then British command .

Also today July 1st , is Canada Day , Our official birthday , 149 yrs old and not a bad country for being such a youngster ,at the game But it is said that, building a country goes on forever ,it just doesn't stop ,so we are still building smile.gif

My father in law, who landed at first in Ellis Island from Italy, was invalided out of action in WW2, serving in the Canadian army.

I last saw him in the ex service men home in Sannich on Vancouver Island. Although his short term memory had gone (95 years) he was able to tell us about his time in Glasgow. Prior to this no one in his family had any knowledge of this. I took it as being he was preparing to sail from the Clyde prior to "D Day" and was badly injured some time after this.

I had an Irish Grandfather who could hardly speak recognizable English, who joined a British / Irish regiment and was wounded in Flanders when still a teenager. Never heard him say a word about the trenches in all the years I had known him. He did tell me of his schooldays in Wexford where his school master was a priest and the brother of Patrick Kennedy, father of Joseph and Grandfather of John F. Kennedy.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 3rd Jul 2016, 02:36pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
From Lost Glasgow
Canadian Indian troops marching through Glasgow
https://www.facebook.com/lostglasgowofficial/

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 3rd Jul 2016, 03:39pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
That's fabulous. I certainly didn't know about it.

+Quote Post
angel
post 3rd Jul 2016, 04:43pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 4,675
Thanks Dave , for you post ,regarding Canada's Indigenous peoples contribution to WW1, I was aware that they did take part, although it seems not much of a deal was made out of that here, but then first nations peoples did believe what the Brits promised them but they " The Brits "never did deliver . and Canada has also been negligent when it came to Indian affairs , but I am hopeful that our new administration under Trudeau will make worthwhile improvements with those native peoples .

P.S they also fought in WW11 smile.gif

--------------------
donate to your local food bank .
Pat.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.