Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Jiving In Glasgow 1950s 1960s, Dalglish Jiving School 1950s 1960s
jimad
post 5th Oct 2013, 08:44pm
Post #1

Settling In
Member No.: 5,859
Hi Folks, trying to help my mum out in trying to find people who went to the Dalglish Jiving School in Glasgow around the late 1950s early 1960s.....anybody out there that knows anything about it, or people that went there ?
I've tried internet searches and come up with he haw :-)
Thanks in advance !

Iain
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
taurus
post 5th Oct 2013, 09:24pm
Post #2

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
I went to a jiving school in 1954 Wilsons it was called at the top of Elmbank St. I only went once,for while we were learning someone robbed all the coats in the cloakroom,I even lost my tuppence for the tram.

+Quote Post
Heather
post 5th Oct 2013, 09:54pm
Post #3

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 664
Before we were married, my husband and I went to Johnny Wilson Jive Club in Byres Road.
We had to stop going because of a couple of tough guys who thought they could cut in on the partner the girls were jiving with any time it suited them.
They were just trouble makers.

--------------------
Heather.......I'm tartan. Alba gu Brath. Saor Alba

+Quote Post
wombat
post 5th Oct 2013, 10:00pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,196
wink.gif all bullies are troublemakers heather but I've never met any I would call tough (when yie get them by themselves yes.gif }

--------------------
the mighty only appear mighty
because YOU are on your knees.RISE UP.

wombat thit grates oan yie.

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 5th Oct 2013, 10:41pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
jimad there was a dalglish jiving school next to boots chemist argyle st in the late fifties it was on the top landing I went there late fifties

+Quote Post
magsos
post 6th Oct 2013, 07:53am
Post #6

Super Visitor
Member No.: 1,052
Possilboy,was that not the Lindella,round the corner from Boots the Chemist...up a spiral staircase,into a big warehouse,for the jiveing

+Quote Post
jimad
post 6th Oct 2013, 03:22pm
Post #7

Settling In
Thanks all ! I've now found out that the Dalglish Jiving School my mum went to was in Burnbank Gardens.
Hope someone out there can help ?

Cheers !

+Quote Post
tomias
post 2nd Oct 2015, 09:18am
Post #8

Unpacking
Member No.: 31,035
Hi! just recently discovered this site and I spotted your request which I know was back in 2013. However, my wife Ann nee Holliday was a regular at Dalglish's and in fact received her Bronze, Silver and Gold medals for jiving during 1961. She was a member of the "Rockets" which was the Dalglish jiving display team who performed at various events. Her dance partner was Jamie Campbell who often helped Mr. & Mrs. Dalglish instruct the younger kids. Hope this stirred some memories for your Mum and that she is still well,
Regards Tom Macdonald

+Quote Post
malvernplace
post 12th Oct 2015, 12:36pm
Post #9

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,584
I had girlfriend who was in a jive group?? her name was Margaret Duncan from Scotia Street

+Quote Post
malvernplace
post 12th Oct 2015, 12:47pm
Post #10

Unpacking
Member No.: 28,584
Alex Dalgleish and his sister Nan also taught Ballroom dancing
at the Dennistoun JS School on Meadowpark St on Thursday night this would be around 1950 they were good people.

+Quote Post
jimad
post 28th Aug 2016, 11:33am
Post #11

Settling In
QUOTE (tomias @ 2nd Oct 2015, 10:18am) *
Hi! just recently discovered this site and I spotted your request which I know was back in 2013. However, my wife Ann nee Holliday was a regular at Dalglish's and in fact received her Bronze, Silver and Gold medals for jiving during 1961. She was a member of the "Rockets" which was the Dalglish jiving display team who performed at various events. Her dance partner was Jamie Campbell who often helped Mr. & Mrs. Dalglish instruct the younger kids. Hope this stirred some memories for your Mum and that she is still well,
Regards Tom Macdonald

Hi Tom just noticed your post...I've been off GG for ages and have just started looking again.
Thanks very much for your reply and I have let my mum know. Her maiden name was Betty Clark...maybe your wife new her ??

Regards,
Iain Dunn

+Quote Post
*Pat Doyle*
post 20th Sep 2016, 09:25pm
Post #12

Does any one remember the Lindela Jive school in Union Street, Glasgow city center in the 50/60s?

+Quote Post
possilboy
post 21st Sep 2016, 01:41am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,212
yes pat if I remember right you had to go up some stairs to get in

+Quote Post
*Talisman*
post 12th Oct 2016, 09:19pm
Post #14

QUOTE (possilboy @ 21st Sep 2016, 01:41am) *
yes pat if I remember right you had to go up some stairs to get in

This is correct. It was a dance club; don't remember it as being a "Jive School" The only time I went to have a look I refrained from going in as the clientele seemed far too young in my estimation. I was 22 at the time. It was famous at the time as it was a break in tradition from the big band dance halls dominating Glasgow entertainment at the time. From memory it was the first to start this trend.

+Quote Post
taurus
post 13th Oct 2016, 11:14am
Post #15

Super Lord Provost
Member No.: 12,391
There was a girl lived in my street in the 50`s and she told me her dad started the Lindella club,she said it was named after the wives of the 2 partners,Linda and Ella. I didn`t take it too seriously at the time for where I came from people just didn`t start night clubs or any thing so upmarket,but not long after that I must say they started to look a bit affluent,not that they ever looked down at the heel beforehand. She was a really nice type of girl too,so I`d like to think what she said was in fact the case. Too late now to know.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th Sep 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.