Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books, Poetry Etc., Put your favourites here!
Betsy2009
post 4th Sep 2013, 01:51pm
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
It's really strange but I've had Clockwork Orange for years but I keep choosing other books over it.
For example, Robert A Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land. Great book. OK - not a classic as such but still a great book.
I don't think I've ever owned a book that I've not read, even if I didn't actually fancy it it that time, but I've always avoided Clockwork Orange.
Why?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 4th Sep 2013, 01:52pm
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Graham Greene "The Quiet American"
Great book..reporters who might be spies. Aid workers who might be spies. A nice crossover of threads with this one. Anybody who has been reading the 'syria' thread (or taking part in it) will have noticed lots of references to the Vietnam War or the events leading up to it. This book is about events in the French Indochina War. Just how involved were the Americans? Of course it's a work of fiction...or is it?

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Sep 2013, 01:53pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
One of the few exceptions to that, Betsy, must be To Kill a Mockingbird. Book and film were both excellent. Gregory Peck, another of my favourite actors and another beautiful voice to listen to. Mary

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2013, 01:53pm
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
attachment=43717:DSCF0180.JPG]
Attached Image
A friend(yes I do have a few) very kindly dropped these books in a few minutes ago.Ive read most of the authors and wondered if any of our posters had any views.
Joop rolleyes.gif

Attached thumbnail(s)

Attached Image

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 4th Sep 2013, 01:58pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
I liked the use of the made up slang/language in A Clockwork Orange. A clever book full of warnings and predictions - derelict municipal blocks, nanny state.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Sep 2013, 02:00pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
James Patterson 7th Heaven is part of the Womens Murder Club series. Its a good read and is a stand alone story but its better if you've read the previous books in the series to get a feel for the characters. I'm not a fan of Dan Brown or Jeffery Archer and keep meaning to get round to reading some Ian Rankin but somehow never do.
Mary

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2013, 02:06pm
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
David, I would suggest that everything in that book from 1962 is common place in society today from the violence,youth gangs et al.Im not saying things were perfect in the 60s but I think we have gone somewhat down the tubes since then.....and milk bars have disappeared.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 4th Sep 2013, 02:37pm
Post #38

Mega City Key Holder
I agree Jupiter, insight or what? And from a spy no less. An enemy of the state!
Aye milk bars. That was a strange feature. Moloko Velocet!

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2013, 03:06pm
Post #39

Mega City Key Holder
Mary not a Dan Brown fan,just struggled through his latest Inferno,felt obliged as it was a pressie.Jeffrey Archer never read ,didnt like the chap but will give this a go.Ive read plenty Ian Rankin,so Ill see whats here.Ive read Patterson cant recall what though.Patricia Cornwell I do like,similar to Reichs, forensic anthropologists thats for me.

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 4th Sep 2013, 03:18pm
Post #40

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
I wonder if any of you ever read Sir terry Pratchett books set in discworld?
I am not a fan of the newer ones; the older ones involving The witches being my favourite.
There seams to be a huge market for Fantasy/adventure books.

I am not a Dan Brown fan also. He seams to get fact and fiction mixed up a lot.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2013, 03:38pm
Post #41

Mega City Key Holder
Pratchett never really appealed to me ,I ve noticed there seems to be loads of books on this theme.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 4th Sep 2013, 04:47pm
Post #42

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Terry Pratchett is wonderful. I think I've read them all apart from a few over the last couple of years.
I also enjoy Val McDermid books. Some are OK but the Tony Hill ones are great (Wire in the Blood). I see there's a new one coming out soon. Can't wait.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Sep 2013, 06:44pm
Post #43

Mega City Key Holder
Christopher Brookmyre was recommended to me a while ago and I did read a few of them but I'm still not sure what to make of them. That said, there has been either a scene or a character or 2 in his books that have make me laugh out loud. I may well go back for another read. Mary

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 4th Sep 2013, 07:04pm
Post #44

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
Jupiter, I was given Dan Brown's latest as a present on the day it came out while I was in England recently. Although I think his research is top notch ... and the very reason I enjoy his books so much ... his style of writing leaves a lot to be desired.
Terry Pratchett and his witches ... but especially Rob Anybody and The Wee Frees ... kept me amused for years.

The one author who had me buying every book he wrote (some three or four times to replace non-returned ones) was Iain Banks; from The Wasp Factory in '84. As Iain M Banks he had me enthralled (and my German mate Michael) for years on end with his "Culture" series of Science Fiction books; among which was one titled "Feersum Endjin" which I highly recommend: this from one who was never into Sci-Fi whether in book form or film.
Iain secumbed to cancer quite recently but managed to finish his last book; as promised, before he died.
A trully brilliant Scottish author.

--------------------
"Destiny is a good thing to accept when it's going your way. When it isn't, don't call it destiny; call it injustice, treachery, or simple bad luck.”
― Joseph Heller, God Knows

+Quote Post
Rab
post 4th Sep 2013, 07:09pm
Post #45

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
I thought I would try a Terry Pratchet book so I bought 'The Long Earth' when on holiday in Inverness last May. Not for me! I could not get out of the first chapter - could not get my head round the weird subject matter and method of writing. Threw it in the bin last week!

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 5 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.