Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books, Poetry Etc., Put your favourites here!
mlconnelly
post 3rd Sep 2013, 02:44pm
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
QUOTE (carmella @ 28th Aug 2013, 07:06am) *
It is almost hypnotic.

I love listening to Richard Burton speak and I love listening to Antony Hopkins too. Must be something to do with the lovely, soft Welsh lilt in the voice. Mary
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 3rd Sep 2013, 06:49pm
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 7,675
The oldies are the best Mary.One I recently enjoyed,a Penguin Classic, Rob Roy.

+Quote Post
Doug1
post 3rd Sep 2013, 07:50pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 12,899
QUOTE (Jupiter @ 3rd Sep 2013, 02:06am) *
Treasure Island,I keep going back to this book.Recently bought the original Disney DVD.A simple story of good over evil.AArr me hearties.Love it.

Jupe. I cant help laughing at your post. Recently my internet packed up for no good reason so I was left with 2 choices, go out and mow the lawn or pick up a book to read. The book won and the first one I grabbed from the bookcase was Treasure Island. The last time I read it I was at school anyway I settled down on my my nice big comfy chair and got reading. To cut a long story short (no pun intended) I was gobsmacked. It was terrific and I got carried away with the story. My wife thought I had gone back to second childhood because I just could not put it down until it was finished, sooo enjoyable yes.gif

--------------------
ave got my opinion as well

+Quote Post
Rab
post 3rd Sep 2013, 09:09pm
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,266
At school I managed to acquire 3 book prizes and I remember them well as not being able to put them down. 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea by Jules Verne, Moby Dick by Herman Melville and yes, Treasure Island - the best! 'Beware the Black Spot lads!'

--------------------
Back to using my original name... Rab

+Quote Post
Purplefan
post 3rd Sep 2013, 09:18pm
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 10,685
The awesome John cooper clarke.

Like a Night Club in the morning, you're the bitter end
Like a recently disinfected shit-house, you're clean round the bend.
You give me the horrors
too bad to be true
All of my tomorrow's
are lousy coz of you.

You put the Shat in Shatter
Put the Pain in Spain
Your germs are splattered about
Your face is just a stain

You're certainly no raver, commonly known as a drag.
Do us all a favour, here wear this polythene bag.

You're like a dose of scabies,
I’ve got you under my skin.
You make life a fairy tale... Grimm!
People mention murder, the moment you arrive.
I’d consider killing you if I thought you were alive.
You've got this slippery quality,
it makes me think of phlegm,
And a dule personality.. i hate both of them.

--------------------
To be is to do socrates
To do is to be Sartre
Do be do be do Sinatra

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 3rd Sep 2013, 10:15pm
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Ah John Cooper Clarke...like a skinny Bob Dylan. Love that mixture of grime and humour. I saw him perform and get heckled in Glasgow many years ago. Beasley Street is probably a stand out piece for me. He tells it like it is. Also 'Evidently Chicken Town' (difficult to quote from the original form).

+Quote Post
carmella
post 4th Sep 2013, 12:53am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 58
Anthony Hopkins has a great voice, of course he is now a U.S. Citizen, but he'll never lose that lovely soft Welsh accent. I'm also a fan of any movie he stars in.

I only read non-fiction, have never been into fiction of any kind with a very few exceptions. One or two being Le Carre and Frederick Forsyth, and the reason I enjoy these authors so much is because I know much of what they write about is based on actual events - that's what keeps me interested when I'm reading I have to feel it's real, which is why I can't get into fiction at all, as I know it's all made up. Believe me I've tried, but quickly put the book back down as I lose interest too quickly.

A good read in recent years has been Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil by John Berendt subsequently made into a film.

All of the Tinker, Tailor series. The Day of the Jackal and The Odessa File - my two favourites by Frederick Forsyth. I have also been known to enjoy a couple of Alistair Maclean's stories, as I just happen to believe he was a fantastic teller of stories, superb fiction which included, When Eight Bells Toll and Where Eagles Dare being my two favourites. If you're going to read fiction, read the best, I say. Another from Alistair Maclean is one of his non-fiction books, published in 1963 Lawrence of Arabia - superb. He died in 1987 at only 64 and is buried just a few steps away from Richard Burton in Vieux Cemetary in Switzerland.

Apart from these few I read biographies, autobiographies and non-fiction crime.

--------------------
Silence is a true friend who never betrays.

Confucius - Chinese Philosopher - [551bc-479bc]

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Sep 2013, 08:30am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
One of my present day writers is Dean Koonts. When I first started reading his books I thought his books came under the sci fi/psychological thriller genre but was surprised to find they came under horror. having read so many now I would say his books come under all 3. Some of his book are quite slow and can drag out a bit but most are fast reads as they're hard to put down. I would recommend one called "Intensity" but the 1st few chapters are not for the fainted-hearted but the rest of the story is a mind game for the 2 protagonists. Other favourites are James Patterson, Kathy Reich and Karen Slaughter. When I start to enjoy the warped minds of some of the characters too much, I usually go to some of the classics or to some mindless chic-lit to lighten the mood, lol. Mary

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2013, 08:45am
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
Carmella similar to yourself I would only read non fiction as I felt I had to acquire knowledge every time I read but I got to the point where I now delve into mostly historical fiction which I enjoy.
Love it Doug.Who can forget the squeaky sign swinging over the door of the Admiral Benbow?

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 4th Sep 2013, 08:45am
Post #25

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
This is an impossible ask!
I have read so many great books that it would be impossible to name a couple of favourites but I'll have a think.
Bury My Heart At Wounded Knee by Dee Brown and Leon Uris's Trilogy certainly made an impact.
Anne Rice's Interview With A Vampire is an interesting one (read long before the film).
Mustn't forget Lord of the Rings (again long before the films).
I am currently reading Stephen Fry's autobiography.

As for voices - James Earl Jones.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 4th Sep 2013, 09:12am
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
I have long felt that fiction is more important than fact in literature. When we read a "fact", we can never be 100% sure whether it is true, or someone's opinion. With fiction there is no doubt; the word of the author is all that matters. For example, we may read about a factual murder and have doubts, but if a fiction author says that X killed Y, then it is so.

A fiction writer has far more scope to philosophise, to explain his feelings about life, to bare his soul.

Having said that, I am not averse to reading a factual book, if the subject really interests me, but I still believe that I have learned far more from works of fiction.

I must admit that I did not like Richard Burton as an actor, having first seen him in "The Rob", the first Cinemascope movie in Glasgow Odeon. I never liked his voice and found his dour persona a bit repetitive. Different story with Anthony Hopkins. Just a personal opinion.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 4th Sep 2013, 12:19pm
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
I understand what you are saying but so often fiction crosses over with fact - Jules Verne, HG Wells, Azimov, etc. It's just a pity that the authors seldom see their imagination being proven right or that someone has read their books and thought 'why not?'.

Different subject - has anyone actually read Clockwork Orange and, if so, what did you think of it.

+Quote Post
Jupiter
post 4th Sep 2013, 12:38pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Betsy I was given this book by a very enlightened uncle when I was 20 and to me it was just another book.It didnt have any great impact on me as a great work of act.I think the film had a similar effect and probably the most enjoyable part was the sight of the naked young lady in one scene when Alex is wired up and zonked out on the stage.The copy of the book is in my attic.

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 4th Sep 2013, 01:20pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Betsy. Like you I read Lord of the Rings long before the films, it took me several attempts but got there in the end on the 4th attempt, just didn't enjoy the story at all. The films, on the other hand, I thought were brilliant and try to watch them when ever they're on.
My mother took me to see Gone with the Wind at the cinema when I was about 14 or 15 and its one of my all time favourite films but the book was the biggest load of rubbish I have ever read.
Mary

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 4th Sep 2013, 01:47pm
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Rosemary's Baby is one of the very, very few films that actually kept very close to the book.
It's a pity when a good book is ruined by a bad film but it happens the other way round too.

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  < 1 2 3 4 > » 
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.