Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Books, Poetry Etc., Put your favourites here!
*Talsman*
post 3rd Jan 2015, 10:08am
Post #106

QUOTE (mairead @ 29th Dec 2014, 12:59pm) *
As a historian (published,) I am always wary of ridiculing another person's writing. History itself is vague and depends on documented evidence which also depends on viewpoints, sides religion and other factors. 100% Accurate historical facts could only be produced from one who was there at the time and as no-one was, we each have to accept what various writers past and present have produced through vague fact and their own logic, in the name of history

There is nothing vague about the history of the Templars. They are well documented and thoroughly researched in every concept of their activities from foundation to dissolution. Antonia Fraser in her book on the life of Charles11 quoted no less than 100 sources. We must therefore presume she had an historians regard for accuracy and not some "vague notion" of the veracity of historical licence.

History has the same academic scrutiny that is applied to science and is no less an art for that.

I have no hesitation in ridiculing the ethereal fiction surrounding the Roslyn Chapel and the further nonsense associated with "Mystical Quests" that have their roots in credulous mythology and not historical discipline.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 5th Jan 2015, 10:09am
Post #107

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
QUOTE (Dave Grieve @ 18th Nov 2014, 07:13am) *
Just finished a historical novel about the Knight Templar's based on the end of their times in the Holy Land and what happened to them afterwards over the next 25 years.
I can really recommend this book to any one who enjoys history, according to the novel we can thank the Templar's for Robert the Bruces victory at Bannokburn and also the rise of Switzerland as the financial powerhouse of Europe, well worth the read.

[attachment=47954:SCAN0001.JPG]

Just finished reading it, Dave. Really enjoyed it so thanks for the recommendation.

+Quote Post
Dave Grieve
post 5th Jan 2015, 02:53pm
Post #108

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,005
QUOTE (Betsy2009 @ 5th Jan 2015, 12:26pm) *
Just finished reading it, Dave. Really enjoyed it so thanks for the recommendation.

Glad to hear it Betsy, if you like that kind of thing try reading Killing Jesus by Bill O'Rielly a real page turner about the life and death of Jesus, not a bible thumper by any means with no talk of miracles or gospels just a plain story about his life and the events and characters that conspired against him or try Across the water by Wayne Mee, a story about a highlander caught up in Culloden and the story of his life afterwards. The first book in the series is a free download and well worth the read.

+Quote Post
Betsy2009
post 5th Jan 2015, 05:40pm
Post #109

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 25,701
Thanks Dave. I've just started another book but I'll keep these in mind when I've finished this one.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 17th Jan 2015, 12:45am
Post #110

QUOTE (Dylan @ 1st Dec 2014, 01:00pm) *
I was aware of and had visited Rosslyn Chapel many many years prior to Dan Brown's books !.

However I agree his " Novels " are rubbish .

I met an archaeologist, in Tasmania who was employed at the Rosslyn chapel during the moronic hunters of the Da' Vinci codes worst excesses. They were obliged to close of the chapel do to the mass of numpties who insisted on souveneering bits of the stone work to show to their equally challenged like minded mythologists. These are the cretins who uphold the sacred postulation that "Scientists don't know everything" ( that's what makes them scientists) but they, having insight to the sacred mysteries such as the Da' Vinci code, obviously have a knowledge that we as mere mortals are not privy to.

+Quote Post
*Tally Rand*
post 17th Jan 2015, 12:47am
Post #111

QUOTE (mairead @ 29th Dec 2014, 12:59pm) *
As a historian (published,) I am always wary of ridiculing another person's writing. History itself is vague and depends on documented evidence which also depends on viewpoints, sides religion and other factors. 100% Accurate historical facts could only be produced from one who was there at the time and as no-one was, we each have to accept what various writers past and present have produced through vague fact and their own logic, in the name of history

Antonia Fraser in her life Charles 11 quotes over 175 sources to uphold her assertions. That to me is history and there is nothing vague in that nor the histories I have read pertaining to the Knights Templar. Historical research is held up to scrutiny in excess of that which scientific research is held. I was in no way ridiculing history, I was ridiculing unsubstantiated mythology posing as history.

+Quote Post
bardowie
post 28th Jul 2016, 08:23pm
Post #112

Unpacking
Member No.: 2,747
See Pat Byrne review of Long way from Glasgow published by lulu.com

John Donaldson’s memoir 'Long Way From Glasgow' is a fascinating read. It encompasses his life growing up in Glasgow during the Second World War and the years he spent in Canada building the trade union movement. John’s experiences are well worth chronicling including difficulties encountered in Africa and time spent in such far flung places as USSR and Nicaragua.

I am, of course, very familiar with Glasgow and also know Toronto well so I am oriented when John refers to Bay and Bloor. However, his book is more than a personal memoir and proides absorbing commentary on the social history of the time. It will particularly appeal to anyone interested in the Trade Union Movement.

John is now retired and lives in Ontario, Canada.

Attached image(s)
Attached Image

+Quote Post

8 Pages V  « < 6 7 8
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.