Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transport In Toon, Bus Station
kenb
post 12th Dec 2012, 07:02am
Post #31

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
hi mary you are correct the electricians was the dentists were alistair gilles used to pull my teeth and sing ouch he was on telly with Andy (donald weres yer troosers) Stewart the chapel was st lawrences my gran lived in no 202 kinfauns in the in shot opposite and she was a clippie on the blue buses out of milngavie grace adams kennedy tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
tombro
post 12th Dec 2012, 10:05am
Post #32

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
Kenb and Mary,

I vaguely remember going to the dentist on that corner, too. Got the feeling that, in the late 1950s, it may just have been an All-Purpose Medical Centre for I remember going there to have all of my vaccinations in preparation for my trip to Australia at the end of 1960.

Also remember going to the Church there on the odd Sunday when we didn't go up to St Pius' at the top of Cally Avenue.

Tombro smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 12th Dec 2012, 06:01pm
Post #33

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
St.Lawrence Church is an amazing looking building. It's like something from an old western movie with a row of arches on a long porch. Sorry don't have a pic.
St. Pius - the building still stands, but no longer has any religious use. It's now part of a retirement home.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 13th Dec 2012, 08:39am
Post #34

Mega City Key Holder
DavidT,

That's sad as I think I may have been in one of the first groups to make both my First Communion and my Confirmation at St Pius' in the late 1950s. I've got a picture somewhere and I'll post it when I can find it !

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenb
post 13th Dec 2012, 07:16pm
Post #35

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
I WANT TO SEE THAT TOMBRO tongue.gif dont forget

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 13th Dec 2012, 10:02pm
Post #36

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
QUOTE (tombro @ 13th Dec 2012, 08:56am) *
DavidT,

That's sad as I think I may have been in one of the first groups to make both my First Communion and my Confirmation at St Pius' in the late 1950s. I've got a picture somewhere and I'll post it when I can find it !

Aw...the only time I waited in a big queue at St. Puis was during the dark days of the strikes in the 70s. That was just to get some candles. When I got to the front the priest said "oh now even the proddies are coming here to see the light". smile.gif he still gave me candles though.

+Quote Post
tombro
post 15th Dec 2012, 09:34am
Post #37

Mega City Key Holder
ken,

This is it, my First Communion photo at St Pius', I think in 1957.

I look at the picture often to reflect on some of the friends I left at the end of 1960 and can still remember quite a few of the names. What has happened to them since then, I think of, too !

The young priest in the picture, I remember, was a very caring priest with an outgoing attitude that was foreign to the time, and he would make us all laugh with funny stories as he prepared us for that First Communion.

Attached Image

Enjoy,

--------------------

+Quote Post
**David**
post 8th Jul 2016, 03:21pm
Post #38

QUOTE (kenb @ 10th Dec 2012, 01:02pm) *
hi tombro i would neverr correct you as i get it wrong so i offer my memories as best i can the 147 turned left after the cop shop and on to peel glen rd terminus

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th Nov 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.