Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transport In Toon, Bus Station
tombro
post 9th Dec 2012, 08:21am
Post #16

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,289
The Blue Buses (Alexander's) used to do the route from Renfrew Street to theDrum in the late 1950's. From memory, the route numbers were 100 and 105 and they used to attack theDrum by travelling in opposite directions around Kinfauns Drive.

The Red Buses (SMT) plied the route from Drumchapel into Clydebank at the same time (can't remember a route number) and, from Clydebank, you could either catch a tram into the middle of Glasgow or jump on another SMT bus travelling from either Helensburgh or Balloch.

With the Red Bus, though, you could not get off anywhere else in the centre of Glasgow except at the terminus/bus station, which I think was in Washington Street, a few streets west of Hope Street !

Other bus services to theDrum were the Corpy buses, routes 9 and 20. Both left from John Street, near George Square and travelled different routes, ending up via Great Western Road and onto theDrum. The 9 turned left at the end of Dunkenny Roand and went up Achamore Road to Moneymusk Place at the top of theDrum and the 20 turned right at the end of Dunkenny Road, left into Kinfauns Drive and then travelled along Kinfauns Drive before turning left into Peel Glen Road to terminate there.

Tombro (Who ever so much wanted to become a Corpy Bus Driver !)

smile.gif smile.gif

--------------------
Today is the first day of the rest of your life !
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
kenb
post 9th Dec 2012, 11:46am
Post #17

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 11,294
hi tombro the 146 was the red bus into clydebank and the 145i done the sat night citzEN and the pink tIMES from the corner of achamore and the top of the chapel (forgot the street)it was a gold mine
all the workers and footie fans coming home from the matches pink and green tongue.gif

hi tombro the 146 was the red bus into clydebank and the 145i done the sat night citzEN and the pink tIMES from the corner of achamore and the top of the chapel (forgot the street)it was a gold mine
all the workers and footie fans coming home from the matches pink and green tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 9th Dec 2012, 11:34pm
Post #18

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (DavidT @ 9th Dec 2012, 06:43am) *
Hi Danny, now that you mention it. I just about remember Alexanders. Aren't they still on the go with nice big coaches? If they ever need to rebrand the bus station Killermont would be a good name.
Ho Wellfield, I remember seeing Karl Denver busking outside the cinema in Clydebank and I think that was as late as the 80s or possibly even 90s! A legend in his own lunchtime :)

Hello again, DavidT

I think Alexanders buses went off the road quite awhile ago. You might possibly remember that their buses were known as 'Bluebirds' because they had a bluebird logo on their buses.

As someone else has mentioned on this topic, unless you were on a Corporation bus. if you boarded a bus inside the city, you couldn't get off until you were over the city boundary. Likewise coming into the city, the drivers couldn't pick up passengers once they were within the city boundary.

In those days it was a blessing in disguise if you worked in the city but lived outside the city. Not many people had cars in those days, so if you lived outside the city you wouldn't have been able to get home at peak periods because people who lived in the city would have filled all the buses.

Even at that it was still diifficult sometimes to get a bus home. For example, as an early 'settler' in East Kilbride I sometimes couldn't get home because the buses were filled with people who lived in Clarkston.The buses would then be half empty from Clarkston to East Kilbride.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
tombro
post 10th Dec 2012, 08:15am
Post #19

Mega City Key Holder
Just had a thought and I'm confused !

Was the bus station I mentioned in Washington Street, Wellington Street or even another street ?

Whoops, just checked Google Earth and found out it was Wellington Street Bus Station. Somewhere, on one of the Glasgow forums, there is actually a photograph of an SMT bus leaving that bus station !

Whoops again, just had a wee look through 'Streets Of Glasgow' and the Bus Station was actually in Waterloo Street, at the junction with Wellington Street ! I love it when I can check my facts !

Thanks, kenb, for the number of the red bus, although I've got a feeling that it, too ran from Peel Glen Road along Kinfauns Drive !

I'm happy to be corrected as my memories are those of a ten year old who left theDrum at the end of 1960.

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 10th Dec 2012, 09:25am
Post #20

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
Hi Ken thanks for the reminder about red buses to clydebank. I used to get one to Drumchapel swimming baths. I think it was a 147. The swimmies done the best pie and beans! Not exactly health food.

Hi Tombro. Was that not the top end of Anderston bus station? Maybe not but It's quite close.
On another note I saw an old episode of On The Buses the other day. In my clouded memory it was a hilarious comedy. In actual fact it was complete nonsense. If it comes on again...avoid! smile.gif

+Quote Post
norrie123
post 10th Dec 2012, 10:13am
Post #21

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 2,552
Anderston Bus Station opened after Waterloo st closed, now Anderston has closed and has been for a fair number of years
Buchanan st Station is more or less in the same area as the former Killermont st bus station

Men Should Weep, seen that a long time ago in the Citizens, alas the company that I was with didn't like it and we left at the break,I would have stuck it out till the end, I have to admit I was finding it hard going

Bye for now, norrie

+Quote Post
TeeHeeHee
post 10th Dec 2012, 10:58am
Post #22

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,448
QUOTE (DannyH @ 9th Dec 2012, 11:51pm) *
Hello again, DavidT

I think Alexanders buses went off the road quite awhile ago ...

Regards

Danny Harris

I hope no-one was hurt laugh.gif
Sorry Danny, couldn't resist that. tongue.gif
Buchanan Street was where I'd wait wi' ma maw furra bus oot tae her brither's when we went on holiday tae Broxburn ... or have I got that wrang tae? biggrin.gif

--------------------
Wait a minute ... I've got my eye on a burd.

... Some try to tell me thoughts they cannot defend ...

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 10th Dec 2012, 11:50am
Post #23

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Naw, ye´re right this time,Tomi!

The Edinburgh via Bathgate went through Broxburn- wan every 20 minutes, run latterly by Eastern Scottish, formerly Scottish Omnibuses but always known as the SMT. I used to catch it to Sandyhills, the first stop for getting off, or to Plains when my folks moved. I could also get the Caldercruix or Longriggend services, but the Clarkston via Shettleston left me with a 3/4 mile walk. I guess you have been through Plains then, but it´s not very memorable except for being my birth place. Still nae plaque though! unsure.gif

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
kenb
post 10th Dec 2012, 01:02pm
Post #24

Mega City Key Holder
hi tombro i would neverr correct you as i get it wrong so i offer my memories as best i can the 147 turned left after the cop shop and on to peel glen rd terminus

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
GG
post 10th Dec 2012, 07:55pm
Post #25

Administrator
Group Icon
Member No.: 1
A couple of photos that may be of interest? Both taken in the mid 80s and showing (I think) the end of Dundas Street Bus Station?

GG.

Attached thumbnail(s)
Attached Image

Attached Image

--------------------
Help: Register :: Login :: Forgot password? :: gg@glasgowguide.co.uk

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 10th Dec 2012, 10:50pm
Post #26

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (TeeHeeHee @ 10th Dec 2012, 12:15pm) *
I hope no-one was hurt :lol:
Sorry Danny, couldn't resist that. :P
Buchanan Street was where I'd wait wi' ma maw furra bus oot tae her brither's when we went on holiday tae Broxburn ... or have I got that wrang tae? :D

Hello TeeHeeHee

Thanks for spotting my non-deliberate mistake! I am still laughing myself while replying to you.

Regards

Danny

+Quote Post
tombro
post 11th Dec 2012, 08:00am
Post #27

Mega City Key Holder
kenb,

Went back and re-read your post and realise now that you weren't talking about the top of Achamore Road where the number 9 Corpy Bus terminated in, I think, Moneymusk Place.

You're talking about the corner of Achamore Road and Dunkenny Road, where the Red Bus came up from Kinfauns Drive. There was a wee church on the T-junction of Kinfauns Drive and Achamore Road (on the left as you turned into Achamore Road) and, in my days in the late 1950s, there was a Doctor's Surgery on the right hand corner.

In the late 1950s, theDrum didn't need a Police Station !

Tombro rolleyes.gif rolleyes.gif

PS ... Somewhere, on one of the Glasgow Forum Sites, there is a picture of an SMT Bus going around the very same corner you mention. I'll have a look and see if I can find it !

Tombro smile.gif

--------------------

+Quote Post
kenb
post 11th Dec 2012, 07:00pm
Post #28

Mega City Key Holder
Attached Image
the very corner . the corner below with the chapel was the dentist (singing ) a gilles

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
kenb
post 11th Dec 2012, 07:02pm
Post #29

Mega City Key Holder
hi tombro i think there is pictures on the drumchapel thread on GG good luck tongue.gif

--------------------
WEY HEY

+Quote Post
mlconnelly
post 12th Dec 2012, 12:17am
Post #30

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 9,809
The chapel is St Lawrence's, I was there on Monday at a funeral, and on the opposite corner there is an electricians. Mary smile.gif

+Quote Post

3 Pages V  < 1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th Mar 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.