Glasgow Guide Home

Whats On Glasgow Guide
  Glasgow What's On

Glasgow Reviews

Glasgow Gallery

Glasgow Links
Discuss | Guestbook | Postcard | News | Weather | Feedback | Search | About | What's New
Glasgow Guide Discussion Boards

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )                >> View Today's Topics <<

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Transport In Toon, Bus Station
splinge
post 7th Dec 2012, 11:05am
Post #1

Unpacking
Member No.: 16,963
Hope i'm in the right place here,i live down in Surrey now and am 49 yrs old, but i was thinking back and trying to remember just whereabouts the old Buchanan St Bus Station would be situated, i just about remember Boxing day nights with my mum and dad struggling with me and my sister and Xmas presents back to Uddingston after annual parties in my relatives in Bearsden.

My uncle was the only one who could drive and mostly if he hadn't had too much to drink he would take us home, but on occaisions he didn't and i was just trying to remember the station as it was then, inside and out.

I believe the buses out to that part were 56, 55, 54 and i think i remember them as being blue.

I cant remember the route we would take, but i suppose it was much the same as now with some changes.

After seeing the wonderful "Men Should Weep" by Ena Lamont Stewart down here in London a year or so again it got me thinking, so i thought i'd see if there are any pictures out there of the bus station as it was.

Also, moving forwards a few years can anyone tell me where oh where i could get a copy of any sort by Glasgow band Cado Belle with Maggie Reilly from back in the day.

Down here they only know of Maggie Reilly from Moonlight Shadow by Mike Oldfield, and look at you weird if you mention CB.

I know there is vinyl out there of their only album and an ep, can anyone help.And vinyl's no use anymore, also anyone know of any recordings by Greenock guitarist Henry Gorman who was regular in the Dial Inn.

Hope someone can help, btw if you ever get to see Men Should Weep, you must go, it is brilliant

Scott in Epsom
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
ashfield
post 7th Dec 2012, 02:51pm
Post #2

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 6,611
Welcome Scott, I saw the play a long time ago, powerful stuff. Can't help you with the music but there's bound to someone on here who can. There is a old photo of Buchanan St bus station on the "virtualmitchell" web site, if you look in the transport section. This is the link to the site

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/

--------------------
If you want to make God laugh, tell him about your plans (Woody Allen)

+Quote Post
splinge
post 7th Dec 2012, 06:48pm
Post #3

Unpacking
QUOTE (ashfield @ 7th Dec 2012, 03:08pm) *
Welcome Scott, I saw the play a long time ago, powerful stuff. Can't help you with the music but there's bound to someone on here who can. There is a old photo of Buchanan St bus station on the "virtualmitchell" web site, if you look in the transport section. This is the link to the site

http://www.mitchelllibrary.org/virtualmitchell/

Thanks it's amazing what a nice wee feeling the pictures bring back, it never really seemed cold and damp on those nights from what i can remember, just happy times when the world seemed less awful and complicated, maybe it's a kids eye view Thanks a million. Scott

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 7th Dec 2012, 07:46pm
Post #4

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 13,194
I seem to remember that you got the blue bus at Buchanan Street and the red bus at Anderston. I think both were Midland so sometimes your blue bus would be red and vice versa. Corporation buses were green, white and g...yellow and you could get them at John Street or George Square.
I always thought it odd that downstairs on a double decker was referred to as 'inside'. Upstairs was just the 'tap deck' and it was reeking. I don't remember ever seeing a red double decker?? Could be wrong.
Happy hunting for the music Scott.

+Quote Post
bilbo.s
post 7th Dec 2012, 08:00pm
Post #5

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,582
Dave, Depends what era you are on about. I remember red double deckers of Central SMT & Western SMT. SMT were originally blue, but then green, changed name to Scottish Omnibuses Limited and latterly Eastern Scottish.

--------------------
Just because we disagree doesn't mean I don't like you, and just because I don't like you doesn't mean I disagree with you.

+Quote Post
splinge
post 7th Dec 2012, 08:33pm
Post #6

Unpacking
I do remember the Tap Deck was always reekin, and if you can smell cold it also smelled cold, i also seem to remember that round about Calderpark Zoo there was what i think we called "the wall of death" which was just a huge circular bend that was quite high and on the tap deck if we didn't lean inwards on the bus we always thought it would tip over, even to this day i remember my dad telling us of the time when he was going to work in the "corpy" and was on the wall of death and he saw a fox in the grassy bowl at the bottom, i dreamed of this big scary fox running wild for what seemed like weeks, and still get a picture of it today in flashbacks Anyone else remember the w.o.d out there at the zoo.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 7th Dec 2012, 08:44pm
Post #7

Mega City Key Holder
I didn't travel on that wall of death route. My scary journey was sitting on the front seat, tap deck, blue bus (105 I think) going down Bearsden rd towards Anniesland. Under the railway bridge at Temple..aaaargh! Probably cleared it easy but it looked and felt very close. We used to fight for that seat tae.

+Quote Post
splinge
post 8th Dec 2012, 02:05pm
Post #8

Unpacking
Everyone used to tell me about Switchback Road and when we went to Bearsden we often went that way, it's amazing what you think about when you're a kid i always though as a wee guy i could get electrocuted on there, suppose it was all to do with the word "switch" What's that all about.?

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 8th Dec 2012, 06:26pm
Post #9

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (splinge @ 8th Dec 2012, 02:22pm) *
Everyone used to tell me about Switchback Road and when we went to Bearsden we often went that way, it's amazing what you think about when you're a kid i always though as a wee guy i could get electrocuted on there, suppose it was all to do with the word "switch" What's that all about.?

I don't know how the switchback got it's name. Probably literal and a wee bit shorter than 'Ye can turn aroon here Road' . It is funny the things place names make you think of..especially when you're young. I can mind my da giving me a funny look when I burst oot laughing when a guy stopped to ask directions to Mountblow. laugh.gif I had never heard of it until then.

+Quote Post
splinge
post 8th Dec 2012, 08:41pm
Post #10

Unpacking
I see that on this site there are lists of Glasgow street names and what they have changed from and what they are now, i wonder why they change them, if you've lived in say Duke Street for 40 years and someone comes along and calls it say Micklethorpe Street, wonder how long it takes to get used to.
Suppose some people have got to justify their jobs.It probably would be confusing if everyone lived on Main Street, Everytown Everywhere, Glasgow.
We have a street down here called Bumbletwee Rd, i don't imagine anyone in Glasgow admitting to living in Bumbletwee Rd. I'd move.

+Quote Post
DannyH
post 8th Dec 2012, 11:09pm
Post #11

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 8,412
QUOTE (DavidT @ 7th Dec 2012, 09:03pm) *
I seem to remember that you got the blue bus at Buchanan Street and the red bus at Anderston. I think both were Midland so sometimes your blue bus would be red and vice versa. Corporation buses were green, white and g...yellow and you could get them at John Street or George Square.
I always thought it odd that downstairs on a double decker was referred to as 'inside'. Upstairs was just the 'tap deck' and it was reeking. I don't remember ever seeing a red double decker?? Could be wrong.
Happy hunting for the music Scott.

Hello DavidT

Blue buses also left from Killermont Street. The bus company was Alexanders, whose headquarters were in Falkirk. Some of the blue buses went north of the city to places like Mingavie, Bearsden, Drymen, Balmaha and Balfron.

There was a bus company named Young's (I think) who ran buses from Clyde Street to Paisley. Any old ice skaters who went to Paisley ice rink will remember them.

The SMT ran red buses from Killermont Street and Clyde Street to the South of the city to places like East Kilbride.

Regards

Danny Harris

+Quote Post
wellfield
post 8th Dec 2012, 11:36pm
Post #12

Mega City Key Holder
Member No.: 5,235
We called the red double deckers the country buses...we caught them to go camping,Loch Lomond/Aberfoyle etc..Gus (Karl Denver) used to busk at the bus stations on Saturdays,then you'd catch him singing with the Savation Army at the corner of Wellfield St/Springburn Rd on a Sunday on occasion.

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 9th Dec 2012, 05:26am
Post #13

Mega City Key Holder
Hi Danny, now that you mention it. I just about remember Alexanders. Aren't they still on the go with nice big coaches? If they ever need to rebrand the bus station Killermont would be a good name.
Ho Wellfield, I remember seeing Karl Denver busking outside the cinema in Clydebank and I think that was as late as the 80s or possibly even 90s! A legend in his own lunchtime smile.gif

+Quote Post
DavidT
post 9th Dec 2012, 05:38am
Post #14

Mega City Key Holder
QUOTE (splinge @ 8th Dec 2012, 08:58pm) *
I see that on this site there are lists of Glasgow street names and what they have changed from and what they are now, i wonder why they change them, if you've lived in say Duke Street for 40 years and someone comes along and calls it say Micklethorpe Street, wonder how long it takes to get used to.
Suppose some people have got to justify their jobs.It probably would be confusing if everyone lived on Main Street, Everytown Everywhere, Glasgow.
We have a street down here called Bumbletwee Rd, i don't imagine anyone in Glasgow admitting to living in Bumbletwee Rd. I'd move.

I would like to live in Bumbletwee Rd. It's a cwackin adwess. I wonder if it has a bwue bus service. There's a street in Dumbarton called Round Riding Road. I wonder if the Ragged Rascal ever ran around there biggrin.gif

+Quote Post
splinge
post 9th Dec 2012, 06:26am
Post #15

Unpacking
Pwobabwy not though i do knoow a cwever cwogs and his wife wita cwogs, the buses are wed. Did i just wight that? Help.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Fast ReplyReply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th Apr 2017

All material in the site Glasgow Guide is copyright of the Glasgow Guide Organisation. This material is for your own private use only, and no part of the site may be reproduced, amended, modified, copied, or transmitted to third parties, by any means whatsoever without the prior written permission of the copyright owner. All rights reserved.

Glasgow Hotels: book cheap hotels in Glasgow online now.